Game Boy Backlight Questions

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
SpaceBooger

Game Boy Backlight Questions

Post by SpaceBooger »

What is the best option to add a backlight to one of my Game Boys.
I have an original, color, and a pocket. The Game Boy pocket needs a new screen (not a lens).
I do have a GBA SP to play games on, but I like the feel of the GB better... Original hardware feel kinda thing.
I think adding a backlight to the GB Color would be the best since it plays all games, but... I love the GB Pocket.

Any suggestions on a good backlight solution?

Thanks

BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy

Re: Game Boy Backlight Questions

Post by Ziggy »

Personally, I would go with a "no cut" installation. Meaning that you don't have to modify the shell to install the new screen. Not that I have any qualms about modifying the shell, but if you mod it to fit one particular screen then what happens if you need or want to switch it out down the road?

Since your GB Pocket needs a new screen anyway, and you seem to like it more, then maybe that's your answer. I'd say mod all three, but the mod kits are a little pricey.

GB Pocket no cut mod kit: https://console5.com/store/nintendo-gam ... acket.html

DMG-01 kit (requires cutting): https://console5.com/store/funnyplaying ... acket.html

GB Color no cut mod kit: https://console5.com/store/nintendo-gam ... acket.html

Console5 also has front lit mod kits which are a lot cheaper, about $15 each.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

My Life in Gaming actually made a video on the subject last year, it could be worth a watch

My only experience with this sort of thing was a backlight mod on a DMG I did about a decade ago (I'm under the impression that the mods are better now). The end result is cool in small doses, but strains my eyes if I play for too long. I honestly prefer my non-backlit GBs to it.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

That video was worth watching. Thanks!
Ziggy587, I think I may mod my GBC... which wasn't even on the radar at first, but that is the most versatile system (minus the GBA SP).
Hmm... too many decisions.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Go with what you think you'll play more. I know what you mean about the Color being the wiser choice because it can play more games, but what would you use the most? Me personally, I have a Color and a DMG-01, and although I would like to backlight mod both (I have for a while, actually) my first choice is the DMG-01.

Unfortunately, both my DMG-01 and GBC currently have sound issues. The DMG has distorted audio and the GBC has no sound, I think both need to be recapped. I need to fix the sound issues before I worry about the screens, but I've been wanting to get backlit screens in there since those mods became available. So I'm definitely interested in your opinion with whatever kit you end up getting.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I think the Retro Pixel larger IPS screen mods that include the proper sized new glass screen protector are the best you can get now. I installed one in a junky DMG, and I love it - it's incredible. They make one for the GBC, and had I not already done an IPS mod with only double-resolution (best available back then) I'd totally put one in a GBC. I just can't rationalize buying another GBC just for a better screen mod.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage