Link to the Past VS Link's Awakening

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Link to the Past VS Link's Awakening

Post by PretentiousHipster »

This is probably the best place to ask for this. Which of the two do you guys prefer? A Link to the Past, or Link's Awakening?

I find that both of them are excellent due to the fact that they have memorable bosses, and phenomenal dungeons, except for one bad one (Ice Palace and Catfish's Maw respectively). The side quests and overall world are also fantastic. They both also made Zelda what it is today. They also aged so well that they still feel fresh to this day (the fact that the Oracle games are similar to Link's Awakening, and multiple games like Four Swords Adventures and A Link Between Worlds were so dependent on A Link to the Past says wonders).

I'd say that Link's Awakening has more flaws, but I prefer the concept of it. The graphics of the switch remake it what it made even better imo as it helped emphasize the child-like aspect of the game and its plot. It feels like a kid is playing with their toys. A Link to the Past on the other hand already mastered the formula when it set it, and I find its light and dark world gimmick to be among the best in the series.

This is at the point where I can't decide for myself, and want to see what points other people will bring up about these two entries to help me decide.
Ziggy

Re: Link to the Past VS Link's Awakening

Post by Ziggy »

I absolutely love LttP, but for some reason I can never get into Link's Awakening. There isn't anything bad I can say about the game, but I just don't get sucked into it the way I do LttP. I've tried playing DX a few times, but the furthest I've got was actually the Switch remake. I really want to play through the entire game at some point, but I'd rather not force myself to.
Ack

Post by Ack »

It's Link to the Past for me. Not that I consider Link's Awakening bad (I don't at all), but because it feels small in comparison. LA is perfect as a Game Boy title, but LttP feels like a much richer, complex world and adventure. That said, I adore both, and last year I eagerly played through the Switch release of Link's Awakening. Both are delightful for me to return to.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Both 10/10 for me. I have a tough time comparing them because they're so different. But they both feel so perfect in their own unique ways. Also, I'd consider these the two best games in the series overall, with the original LoZ at #3.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

The two major titles that are top 5 potential left for me are Majora's Mask, and Breath of the Wild, but it's interesting to try to compare these two.

I ended up asking someone I know who has the CiB for all Zelda games and he sent me a 25 minute long audio rant while walking through a park :lol:

Not finalized yet, but I think in the end I might prefer Link's Awakening since I am the type that loves concepts for games.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I am one of those who bounced off Link's Awakening. I found some of the dungeons a little annoying and was put off by the constant item trading quests to get to the Master Sword. All were gameplay concerns. Since I didn't really beat the game I don't have much to say about the more conceptual elements of it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The item trading wasn't to get the Level 2 sword, it was to get the Magnifying Glass that was required in order to read the book that told you how to get through the maze to the final boss. Also, a middle part of the trade sequence gated progress through the world.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

MrPopo wrote:The item trading wasn't to get the Level 2 sword, it was to get the Magnifying Glass that was required in order to read the book that told you how to get through the maze to the final boss. Also, a middle part of the trade sequence gated progress through the world.

That's how much I didn't like it: I can't even remember what I was supposed to be trading for what. I just hate hate hate item trading chains.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I always make it to like level 3 or 4 in Link's Awakening and give up. I don't like the graphics or the inventory system; and I hate the overworld. I just don't have much fun with it. Music is good though.

I'll play LttP any day of the week.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I do like Link's Awakening, but Link to the Past is one of the greatest of all time. There's no comparison, in my opinion. LttP is a perfect game.