Super Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch - LIMITED RELEASE!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch - LIMITED RELEASE!

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I hopped into Mario 64 for a while and I absolutely agree on the joystick being a little too sensitive. I only got a little ways in so I didn't test out the wing cap, but I experienced the exact same issue with the cannon. Same goes for the camera. I thought it'd been inverted, and I'm glad to know I'm not just remembering wrong :lol:

I finished a 100% run of Mario Galaxy earlier and I thought it played great. Absolutely the best thing on the collection, from the sounds of things. I'll have a more detailed review in the beaten thread at some point, but they really took the time to make this thing work on a normal Pro Controller and it's a great experience.

I'm almost tempted to give some level of Mario Sunshine a go through just to see how awkward it is to retrain the muscle memory I've not only had since I was like 7 but also relearned 100%-ing the game a month or so ago, but I'm not so sure at this point :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I played a little Mario64 and Galaxy last night. You are right about the muscle memory. Mario64 plays fine but it will take a little getting used to.

My early impression of Galaxy is that it plays a little better simply because you can press a button for spin attack.

I haven't played Sunshine yet. I never played the original much but I was never a fan of the GameCube controller so I will probably like this version better for that reason alone.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Playing a little more of SM64, the camera thing is really pissing me off. I'm taking deaths because of it which is frustrating. Also, there's definitely some wrong with jumping for me. A few times Mario doesn't jump when I press B like the input got eaten. I'm not sure what it is. Input lag?

Sunshine played and controlled great for the little I played. I'll definitely give it a play through. Galaxy I'm actually excited to play. I haven't played it since it was released, and I always wanted to see it in HD. SM64 I guess I'll finish a play through, but the camera thing really bothers me. I don't mind the lack of widescreen, in fact I think I prefer it in 4:3. But I can see the original N64 version on a CRT being my go-to version for this game. But for Sunshine and Galaxy, this All-Stars collection might be my go-to.

Some positives, I love that the full soundtrack for all three games are included. And I love that the main menu plays a random track every time you load it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

OK, Nintendo really needs to fix this. There needs to be an option to invert the right stick X and Y axis. It's stupid that they changed it from the original game and gave no option to set it how you like it. Also, the Switch system settings let you remap every button on the controller, you can even save and load mapping profiles, you can swap the left and right stick but you can't change the axis directions! Why is Nintendo so against letting us change the axis? They let you change EVERY button on the controller, but not the stick axis. It's just dumb.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

I get what you're saying in regards to possible button lag. I've just chalked it up to the spin attacks not really liking being bound to a button, but it seems like there's sometimes my inputs aren't quite going how I want them to in Galaxy? Not 100% sure on that. For the most part it's totally flawless.

I also dove a little more into Mario 64 today, and got to the wing cap to test out how you were talking about and it does feel WEIRD. Turning especially is just odd. Not impossible by any means, but definitely something I'd need to practice quite a bit to get the hang of with how sensitive the joysticks are. Granted I've always been useless at the wing cap flying, so this isn't much different from usual XP
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Only got to play alittle of Galaxy. I had forgotten how much pointing is needed in the game for just basic navigation.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

fastbilly1 wrote:Only got to play alittle of Galaxy. I had forgotten how much pointing is needed in the game for just basic navigation.

Same. I'd forgotten it's like damn near EVERYTHING it could be is done via pointing. It wasn't so bad with the gyro in the Pro Controller though.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

The only opinion I can share is that Super Mario Sunshine still controls and plays like a dream, because I'm one of those crazy masochists who always loved Sunshine. I've got about 50 shines so far, so only 70 more to go. I think it's just going to be getting all the 100 coin ones plus tracking down all the blue coins that might become a bit of a pain.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Oof, I need to be on my toes to pick this up in time- they didn’t have it when I went and got switch games yesterday, so I’ll have to keep an eye open. :P
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

emwearz wrote:Got my preorder in.

I hope they have camera controls in Sunshine, hated the inverted camera controls, had to play it patched on the Wii to enjoy it.

And literally because they didn't fix this, still plays better on Wii. Spoony, Spoony Bards.