Super Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch - LIMITED RELEASE!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch - LIMITED RELEASE!

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

alienjesus wrote:I don’t think there’s going to be a volume 2.

It’s worth saying that the limited collection may end up just being the collection. Maybe come March they’ll just release each separately one shop and up the price.

This is kinda where I'm at. While I don't think there'll be a volume 2, I'm quite perplexed on why they'd even release it digitally for only 6 months. Why go through all the trouble of porting the games if you're only gonna sell 'em for such a limited time? O_o

Maybe if and when they just start selling them separately, they'll start selling games like 3D Land or Galaxy 2 separately along with them? That'd be a sensible launching point for putting games like that separately on the Switch.

Either way, it's really cool that we're getting them, and I hope that I can figure out where to get myself a physical copy of the Japanese release soon, because as of right now, Amazon doesn't have them XD
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

OK, so I didn't realize that 3D World had a trailer and everything, so it's definitely a stand alone game. Then yeah, the lack of Galaxy 2 is just baffling.

3D Land would be cool, but so would New SMB 1 and 2 (from the DS and 3DS respectively).

I thought it was a lost opportunitely when New SMB U Deluxe came out. I wished that they did a collection of New SMB Wii and New SMB U, but we only got the later.

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Why go through all the trouble of porting the games if you're only gonna sell 'em for such a limited time? O_o

Right!? There has to be something else they're doing, and not just removing the game from sale for all time.

alienjesus wrote:It’s worth saying that the limited collection may end up just being the collection. Maybe come March they’ll just release each separately one shop and up the price.

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Maybe if and when they just start selling them separately, they'll start selling games like 3D Land or Galaxy 2 separately along with them? That'd be a sensible launching point for putting games like that separately on the Switch.

That's a good prediction, that the only thing that's limited is the collection package. But why doesn't Nintendo explain what's going on? Perhaps it's because they don't know, maybe the final discussion will be based off of sales of the collection?

What would be cool is if future HD remastered games could be purchased digitally as an add-on for 3D All-Stars.

Either way, that'd be awesome if we got other HD remasters. Here's a list of what I would want, outside of what's already included with 3D All-Stars...

New Super Mario Bros.
New Super Mario Bros. 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Ziggy587 wrote:That's a good prediction, that the only thing that's limited is the collection package. But why doesn't Nintendo explain what's going on? Perhaps it's because they don't know, maybe the final discussion will be based off of sales of the collection?

My best guess is that they're trying to boost sales during the holidays because they need something for people to care about given that Microsoft and Sony are dropping their next gen hardware this year. It's a pretty clever business move by Nintendo, if that's the case. This certainly wasn't 0-dev time, but it certainly wasn't the investment of what a Mario Odyssey 2 or some other big title would've been. It's a bit of a safer bet if Mario 3D All-Stars goes under a lot of radars due to the next gen fever, but it'll still rake in a lot of nostalgia bucks.

And given that Nintendo generally releases their ports/smaller games in the spring, as they're doing with 3D World, maybe around the time 3D World drops they'll announce what they're gonna be doing regarding the 3D All-Stars' future method of sale and/or other retro Mario ports? It very well may be a pipe dream (no pun intended), but I really do hope that they port a bunch more Mario onto the Switch, whether it's bundled in a collection or not.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

PartridgeSenpai wrote: Why go through all the trouble of porting the games if you're only gonna sell 'em for such a limited time? O_o

I don't know if this is what Nintendo's line of thinking is - but it kinda comes across like Disney's "get it before it goes back in 'the vault' " tagline to get you to buy the same crap over again.

A little FOMO to get $60 out of you (again).
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Will not buy. Already own the originals and I certainly have compilation/reissue fatigue.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Will not buy. Already own the originals and I certainly have compilation/reissue fatigue.

This was my initial reaction. Then, I started thinking about how much I liked Super Mario Galaxy...and how good it would look in HD...and how awesome it would be to play it without motion controls...and how much my children will enjoy it...and, well, one thing led to another, and...I’m so ashamed...
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Haven't bought a switch yet. I was looking forward to this. However, no SMG2 = No buy Switch or 3D All Stars. **Waits for BOTW2** but by then the Switch will be fully emulatable so...
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:This was my initial reaction. Then, I started thinking about how much I liked Super Mario Galaxy...and how good it would look in HD...and how awesome it would be to play it without motion controls...and how much my children will enjoy it...and, well, one thing led to another, and...I’m so ashamed...

Nice as that would be, I thought the motion controls were still required. There's a polygon article that claims motion is used with the joycons unless you're playing handheld mode, where the motion stuff is mapped to the touch screen. I guess we'll see. :?

I do want this collection, but as everyone's already been saying, the lack of Galaxy 2 is bizarre. Frankly I think it's the best of the 3d bunch. I wish I could have faith in the idea that Nintendo is going to do something else with it, but I honestly feel safe assuming they've just decided to ignore the game, whatever their reasons for that might be.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Polygon updated the article. Motion controls are only required for the second-player functionality, which makes sense.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Ah, nice, that's good to hear.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.