Super Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch - LIMITED RELEASE!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch - LIMITED RELEASE!

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:This was my initial reaction. Then, I started thinking about how much I liked Super Mario Galaxy...and how good it would look in HD...and how awesome it would be to play it without motion controls...and how much my children will enjoy it...and, well, one thing led to another, and...I’m so ashamed...

The concept of a Mario Galaxy without motion controls is honestly what pushed me to throw down the cash for a pre-order. That and just having these games all in one spot (and not on discs) is a nice thing to have that also has the bonus of looking nice on an HD TV and I can play it with my Switch controllers~.

I've also been trying to track down Mario Galaxy for weeks to no avail, so this is a nice (albeit quite expensive) solution to that problem :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

CFFJR wrote:I do want this collection, but as everyone's already been saying, the lack of Galaxy 2 is bizarre. Frankly I think it's the best of the 3d bunch. I wish I could have faith in the idea that Nintendo is going to do something else with it, but I honestly feel safe assuming they've just decided to ignore the game, whatever their reasons for that might be.

I've only played the Galaxy games once each, but I remember enjoying the second more than the first one. It really sucks that it isn't included!

Maybe Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a secret unlock after beating the first one...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The game is finally up on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-3D-A ... 08G3MN6KP/

I had already pre-ordered a copy from Best Buy, and I think I'll keep it that way. Usually I just order from Amazon, but I've had some things come in damaged. With the Best Buy pre-order, I choose the option to pick it up from the store so I don't have to worry about it getting banged up in shipping. Normally I just roll the dice on it, but I'd rather not with this game.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I switched to Best Buy for new video game purchases since the pandemic started. I don't have Amazon Prime anymore so packages were taking forever to arrive. On the rare occasion I splurge on a collector's edition, I used to rely on brick and mortar stores to avoid shipment damage. I had Best Buy ship my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles DE collector's edition and it arrived relatively unscathed. One corner got smushed just a hair and it is barely noticeable. I realize that is a small sample size but Best Buy has always packaged my items sufficiently. I can't say the same for Amazon but to be fair, I have used Amazon substantially more over the years.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

bmoc wrote:I switched to Best Buy for new video game purchases since the pandemic started. I don't have Amazon Prime anymore so packages were taking forever to arrive. On the rare occasion I splurge on a collector's edition, I used to rely on brick and mortar stores to avoid shipment damage. I had Best Buy ship my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles DE collector's edition and it arrived relatively unscathed. One corner got smushed just a hair and it is barely noticeable. I realize that is a small sample size but Best Buy has always packaged my items sufficiently. I can't say the same for Amazon but to be fair, I have used Amazon substantially more over the years.

My copy of New Super Luigi came in like a pretzel. I promptly exchanged it for another copy, and it also had some minor damage but not enough for me to exchange it again because I wanted to play the game already. They shipped it only in a bubble mailer, both times. I was so annoyed that I decided to stop buying games from Amazon for a while, and I even told customer support that I wouldn't buy games from Amazon anymore until they start shipping them in boxes instead of huge bubble mailers. I eventually caved and started ordering games again from them, simply because it's easy and I have prime. I got a lot of movies and games since then undamaged. But when I pre-ordered a Genesis mini, they shipped it in just a bubble mailer and the box had corner damage. This I was very pissed about because I knew there was a good chance that I would resell it eventually and the box damage would hurt its value. So yeah, if it's just something common than I roll the dice on it as the worst that can happen is I exchange it. But for something that's probably going to sell out, I'd rather not even risk it.

I think it's stupid that Amazon doesn't use a box for certain things. They could have cardboard mailers that fold up in such away to really protect against being crushed, and I bet at their volume they could even cost less than the bubble mailers. I bet it's that it would take longer to ship though, even if it's just seconds they all add up at the end of the day. Still, a $5 DVD or a $10 BD in a bubble mailer isn't the same thing as a $60 game, or a collectible mini console for $100!

And BTW, at the start of the pandemic Amazon was really slow even with Prime shiping. But it has returned to normal now, I bet non-Prime shipping too.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I preordered on Amazon since itll be here day of. I do hope they give us full camera controls in Mario64. Once I found that mod, the game was forever changed for me.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Got my preorder in.

I hope they have camera controls in Sunshine, hated the inverted camera controls, had to play it patched on the Wii to enjoy it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So it's been discovered that SM64 and Sunshine are emulated, and Galaxy is some kind of emulation/port hybrid. As long as they play good, I guess it doesn't really matter. But it some how feels cheap when it was possible to emulate these games in HD for some years now.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I've never played any of them so I wont notice a dam thing. I guess they could have ported them besides lazy emulation. Still gonna leave my preorder up and hope it's all good.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Did anyone pick this up? I picked up my pre-order copy from Best Buy yesterday. Best Buy put a sticker on it with the order info, but luckily it was a low tack sticker and came off cleaner without a trace. Which is great because I'm planning on keeping it sealed. I bought it digitally and played a little bit of it.

SM64 looks and runs great, but I'm having some issues with the controls. I've been playing this game since it was released in 96, and it's one of those games that I've played many many times over the years and have muscle memory for. So I know it isn't me, but I find myself struggling with the controls.

Joystick - The joystick seems a little too sensitive compared to real N64 stick (and one that's not worn out). It's not so bad when you're running around, but flying with the wing cap and aiming in the canon are annoying. It took me several attempts to collect the 8 red coins on the wing cap switch stage, which is something I've done on my first attempt for the last 100 times I've played it. Collecting the coins in the sky in Bob-omb Battlefield (for 100 coin star) was also annoying. The joystick is too sensitive, so flying is very twitchy.

Jumping - For some reason, I find myself having a hard time doing double and triple jumps. Again, this is a game that I've played a zillion times, and I do everything from muscle memory at this point. But often I don't double or triple jump, I just regular jump, as if I pressed the button too late. I'm not sure what's going on with this, but something definitely isn't right.

Camera - I knew that the right stick would replicate the C buttons. Press up for C-Up, Right for C-Right, and so on. One probably I've already encountered a few times is registering up or down when I only meant to press left or right. But a bigger problem is that left and right seem reversed. You'd assume press left for C-Left and Right for C-Right, but when I try and move the camera (again, all from muscle memory) it moves in the opposite way I was expected. This has lead to deaths a few times, and usually walking off of something. I've long been in the habit of swinging the camera as I'm running, and I can move the joystick as the camera moves to compensate. So when the camera moves in the opposite direction, that sends Mario off a ledge or such. It's very frustrating! When you hit the - button to bring up an option menu, there's a page for controls, but it only lists what button does what and doesn't allow remapping. This is just getting old. I feel that in 2020 you should always be allowed to remap everything and invert axis. Someone mentioned in this thread playing Sunshine patched on the Wii to invert the camera. Well, you wont be able to do that on Switch!

Shindō Pak Taiō Version - So for those that don't know, Nintendo re-released SM64 in Japan only with Rumble Pak support. The Switch version has rumble, which is neat. But it also has another change brought over from the Rumble Pak version. Those shouts that Mario makes whenever he jumps, in the Rumble Pak version they made some of them a little higher pitched in addition to keeping all of his usual grunts. I suppose to make his grunts more varied. But, I really don't like the higher pitched grunt that he makes. This is a minor thing, but I thought that I'd mention it. Whenever talking about the Rumble Pak version, people always mention the rumble feature and the bug fixes, but I never hear anyone mention the new grunts.

I've only played a few minutes of Sunshine, I mainly just wanted to see how the controls work. ZR squirts water and R plants your feet to aim. That's pretty much what I figured, and it works well enough. I haven't played Galaxy at all yet.