Game Boy/Game Boy Color - what are you playing right now?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Game Boy/Game Boy Color - what are you playing right now

Post by Anapan »

I did when I was 17-21 years old and trying not to try - Red, Yellow & Gold - caught them all! I had a website (cringe!) and 'made' the PokeGods ! I'm 40 now. I don't have the stamina without emulating and mapping a shoulder button to Fast Forward. I couldn't imagine plodding back and forth at 2 frames per second in the weeds of a virtual field when I could be soldering one of the many projects sitting unbuilt or, like, building a shelf, or like, folding socks...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I've never caught them all.

Just beat Blue again. Bellsprout-only; level 74 at the end. No items in-battle. My final move list was: Mega Drain, Razor Leaf, Sleep Powder, and Growth. 9 hours 34 minutes.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Since I don't have any existing save files, I just put fresh batteries in my Red and Blue carts. I put in 2032's, which are a larger capacity than the stock 2025 that come in them so they should last even longer. I think I'm going to do somewhat simultaneous playthroughs with Red and Blue.

For Red, I'll just stick with my latest go-to lineup. I start with Charmander and keep him as my main Pokemon (so always at the highest level). I catch a Pikachu right away from Viridian Forest. He has a 5% encounter rate there, so it can sometimes take a while, but never too long. Getting him this early helps with Charmander's weakness, which really comes in handy since one of the early gyms is water type. Eventually when I can get a Magikarp, I leave it at the training school or whatever it's called. I come back way later in the game and it's leveled up to around 20 but still a useless Magikarp. I make it my starting Pokemon but switch it out right away so it never gets hit but still gets shared experience points. Then on it's next level up it evolves into a Gyarados. On my last playthrough I used Alakazam and I really liked him so I think I'll do that again. After that, I usually keep two more in my party but I never really use them. Last time I think I experimented with a Machamp, but I never leveled him up much so I might do that this time.

For Blue, I'm starting with Squirtle and will keep him as my main Pokemon through the game since I've never done that before. For the rest of the party, I will intentionally choose Pokemon that I never have before. I don't know what yet. I think I'll make Red my "main" cart that I'll try and get all 151 on. So after I finish Blue, I'll trade those Pokemon off to Red. So I guess that means that at some point in Red I will have to get a bunch of duplicate Pokemon for trading.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

There's a rom hack of yellow with all 151 available. Though not a "legit" way to complete the pokedex, it'd be less swapping around.

Doing it legit adds 12 points to your gamer cred though.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I've been playing Chessmaster and he sucks a whole lot less than 4 in 1 Fun Pak chess. He's legit the master. Then again, I'm hardly a competent competitor. :lol: