NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Wii U Collector's Thread

by noiseredux Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 am

Hello, I know at least a few of us are still into Wii U here, so I thought I'd start a thread for discussing/showing off our Wii U collections. (Elkin, where you at? Post up pics of your full US set!). There are about 160 retail games in the US set (I think it's 161 or 163 depending how you count certain releases). So it's a relatively small library, but it's a truly interesting one. There's minimal junk in there. And there's some really neat stuff that takes full advantage of the platform. I've also found that when a game is re-released, the Wii U version goes pretty down in price. So for the most part, there's only a handful of 'big hitters.'

Personally, my collecting habits have been quite casual. I don't hit up ebay looking for big lots or anything. I've just been patiently picking up things that I happen upon at good prices.

My own collection thus far is sitting at 22 games, and an average of $8 per game. For funsies, let me go thru the progress of my collection this year...

1. Nintendo Land
2. Super Mario 3D World
3. Wii Sports Club

These three games actually came pre-installed on my Wii U. I guess it was a bundle deal. Which is cool, I figured wiping the previous user's data would have wiped the games, but nope. So while the collector urge is to still buy these games to have physical copies, the frugal part of me can't see the logic in doing so. At least not right now.

4. The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

This was the game I bought with my console, before I knew it had games pre-installed on it. I paid $15, which is a great price for one of the greatest games ever made.

5. Madden NFL 13

Picked this up for $6 online right after I got the console. What can I say? I'm a Madden fan. I *think* this would be the final Madden released on Nintendo hardware to date?

6. New Super Mario Bros U
7. New Super Luigi U

This double-pack was a gift from prfsnl. He's a good dude. I've been playing NSMBU lately.

8. Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival
9. Star Fox Zero
10. Star Fox Guard

For my birthday this past year, we took a trip out to a used game store about an hour from my house. It was very Nintendo-centric and I picked up a good handful of Wii U, Wii and DS stuff. Anyway, I grabbed the big-box Animal Crossing and Star Fox double pack while I was there for $15 and $10 respectively. I'm not making an effort to grab the big-box versions of Wii U games, but this one was cheap enough that it was worth it to me to get the extra Amiibo. Plus, I think you need them for the game? I haven't played it yet. As far as Star Fox goes, the double-pack is the only way to get Guard, so that was a must. Similarly, I'll only be on the hunt for the version of Bayonetta that includes Bayonetta 2.

11. Axiom Verge

FOMO got me here, and the timing was good so my birthday gift to myself was Axiom Verge. I think in pure numbers, this is the 'rarest' Wii U game. I paid $45 for it still sealed.

12. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
13. Monster Hunter 3
14. NES Remix Pack

I got these as part of a Gamestop B2G1, so I think it came out to about $30 for all three.

15. Resident Evil Revelations
16. Shantae Half-Genie Hero
17. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

These I got in a trade, so I'm not sure how to value them. Shantae is the big box with soundtrack.

18. Ducktales Remastered

Grabbed this for $25 off Amazon with credit in July. Heads up - the game is delisted on digital stores, so prices are going up. The Wii U version in particular seems to be desired.

19. Assassin's Creed III
20. Scribblenauts Unmasked
21. Zombi U

These I just got in last week - ordered online with store credit, for $23 total.

22. Might No 9

This one is on its way to me now - $6 with store credit.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Wii U Collector's Thread

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Awesome, Noise. It was a lot of fun collecting for the Wii U. I’ll have to take a picture of my collection when I get back to town. I have, maybe, 70 physical games? I have a TON of games installed on my hard drive too, and I can list those.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:44 pm

noiseredux wrote:My own collection thus far is sitting at 22 games

We're pretty close, I'm at 24!

Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Ducktales: Remastered
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Hyrule Warriors
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mighty No. 9
New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Rodea the Sky Soldier
Shovel Knight
Splatoon
SteamWorld Collection
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

Comparing my list to yours, noise, I got Axiom Verge digitally, NES Remix on 3DS, and Shantae Half-Genie Hero on Vita.

I really like the Wii U. The hardware is solid and the thing's a first-party powerhouse.

I don't track pricing like you, but I'd estimate I spent an average of $10-$12 per game.

I'm not currently seeking any other Wii U games, though of course if I find some interesting ones in the wild I'll snag 'em. So much good stuff is already on Steam, GOG, the Switch, whatever so there's a good chance I may already have it there instead.

Most of the digital games on my Wii U are actually from the Wii VC or are WiiWare titles. Plenty of cool stuff on the Wii U shop, but, again, so much of it I already have elsewhere.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Look at me ballin' up in here with my nine whole physical games, and one digital version of Pikmin 3! You may worship me if you choose.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:06 am

I will ignore my digital games (which is around 25 or so indies and few AAA releases like BoTW and Mighty Number 9, and another 15 or 20 VC games). I am at 28 physical games.

1. Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
2. Bayonetta
3. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
4. Darksiders II
5. Devil's Third
6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
7. Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
8. Hyrule Warriors
9. Injustice
10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
11. Mario Kart 8
12. Mario Party 10
13. New Super Mario Bros. U
14. New Super Luigi U (The stand alone with the green case)
15. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge
16. Nintendo Land
17. Pokken Tournament
18. Rabbids Land
19. Rayman Legends
20. Skylanders Giants
21. Sonic Lost World
22. Splatoon
23. Star Fox Zero
24. Super Mario 3D World
25. Super Mario Maker
26. Super Smash Bros. for WiiU
27. Tank! Tank! Tank!
28. ZombiU

Games like Tank! Tank! Tank! are great if you enjoyed the arcade game, light on content but still a blast, I loved it early on in the consoles life, same with ZombiU, but you can grab that elsewhere. Things like Rabbids Land and Skylanders were like 3 or 4 bucks. Pokken Tournament and a few others have been thrift store pick ups at a couple bucks each. I remember Ninja Gaiden and Devil's Third being a fiver or so each with stores getting rid of their Wii U titles. If I find a game that doesnt seem like complete shovelware on the Wii U and it is cheap I pretty much pick it up.

The Wii U and Switch have the same in terms of their first party 'feeling' to me. Great games on the system, was gutted during its lifetime how long I had to wait in between releases, but it means I 100%'ed a large portion of the games as they came out because it was all their was to play on the system at the time.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:40 am

My list of physical Wii U games can be found here: https://backloggery.com/games.php?user= ... nsole=WiiU

Although, I might have picked up a few more since I've last updated Backloggery. But you can see my miserable completion rate.

noiseredux wrote:4. The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

This was the game I bought with my console, before I knew it had games pre-installed on it. I paid $15, which is a great price for one of the greatest games ever made.

I bought the Wind Waker bundle when it launched, along with NSMBU and New Super Luigi. I couldn't believe how much fun I was having playing Wind Waker. The Gamepad integration was absolutely perfect, like it was made just for this game, and it made the game so much more enjoyable for me. It's a damn shame that the Miiverse is no more, and without it you can no longer exchange Tingle bottle. That was such a fun addition to the game. I actually made sure to play through Wind Waker one last time after they announced the date Miiverse would shut down, just so I could experience it one last time.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:09 am

I used to have quite a few Wii U games before I moved to Japan, but all I brought over with me were the games I definitely still intended to play and hadn't beaten yet:

1) Paper Mario: Color Splash
2) Xenoblade Chronicles X

Then while I've been here, I picked up a Japanese Wii U to play VC games, and then also picked up Zelda Musou (because I missed that game).

I still have my eye out for a few games I wish I hadn't sold (Wind Waker, Kirby Rainbow Curse, and Zombi U), but it seems I definitely have one of the smaller Wii U collections around here since I moved :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Dammit, Partridge. You beat me. Prepare for my devoted worship of you.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Visiting Europe right now, and I just saw a giant stack of PAL Wii U games at a game store. (These are the sorts of things I look for in a foreign city, apparently.) They look very different from NTSC titles, but I didn’t see any PAL exclusives... :?

EDIT: Checking Wikipedia, it appears that NA received almost every physical Wii U release. There don’t appear to be any games released physically in Europe that were not released in NA. Oh well...it was still fun looking through the cool looking games!
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:50 am

Sitting on ten games. Had about 20-30 at one point but downsized what i was unlikely to play again.

Have:
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario Maker
Super Smash Bros. 4
Zelda BotW
Zelda Twilight Princess HD
Zelda Wind Waker HD

Sold:
Amiibo Festival
Bayonetta 1/2
DuckTales
Game & Wario
Hyrule Warriors
Mario Kart 8
NES Remix
New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi
NintendoLand
Pokken Tournament
Rodea the Sky Soldier
Runbow
Sonic Transformed
Star fox Guard
Star Fox Zero
Steamworld Collection
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Wii Fit U
Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi’s Wooly World (Kept my little Yarn Yoshi Amiibo!)
ZombiU

I don’t necessarily regret selling any of the above, if I want to replay some of them I can pick them up at a later time. Out of those: Steamworld, New Luigi, and Wonderful 101 were really awesome. I simply decided to keep the games I felt defined the system or are the definitive versions of the games for me. The rest I didn't feel the need to hang onto. I'm not at a point in my life where I want to amass or hang onto a collection.
Return to Nintendo