Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
bmoc wrote:What the heck is happening at Nintendo on March 31st, 2021? Why all the limited releases ending on that day?

I know. It’s such an arbitrary date. They better be announcing a new console or streaming service or something then. I’ll be picking it up, even though I also have the Fami cart. $6 seems fair for a new, official translation.

March 31st is the end of the financial quarter, so I'd imagine that's their cutoff because they're trying to boost their Q4 earnings in spite of Sony and Microsoft launching their new consoles that holiday.

Nintendo really needs to heckin' stop with this limited time exclusivity nonsense. Digital scarcity is anti-customer bullshit and I'm already sick of it. I bought in on the Mario Collection but never again. I refuse to support this any farther, which sucks, because localizations are really cool! But then Nintendo has to ruin it by pushing digital scarcity on more and more products :/
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Anyone notice that two "G-Mode" games have quietly been released on the North American eShop?

The mobile version of Sorcerian(!!!) is coming in February via G-Mode but only in Japan.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Anyone notice that two "G-Mode" games have quietly been released on the North American eShop?

The mobile version of Sorcerian(!!!) is coming in February via G-Mode but only in Japan.

YYYEEESSS!

I’m glad you noticed those too. I am buying the lost, 2005 Japanese mobile-phone version of ZANAC today. I really wish more companies would re-release these old mobile games. There are unique, pretty good entries in some awesome series, such as Castlevania and Double Dragon, that might be lost otherwise.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Update...The ZANAC port is pretty cool. I bought it yesterday. Simple controls with solid shooting and lots of cool display options.

Also...is the new Switch Turrican collection physical only? I see that I can order it from Amazon, but it’s not in the eShop. Any ideas?
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Also...is the new Switch Turrican collection physical only? I see that I can order it from Amazon, but it’s not in the eShop. Any ideas?

If you're talking about the Anthology sets, good question. I thought Flashback was supposed to be out today (or tomorrow? Sometime soon, anyway), and I kinda assumed the Anthology sets would be up on the shop at some point. But some of the reviews for Turrican Flashback I'm currently reading suggest that may not be the case.

The site where the physical Anthology copies are sold give Feb/March as a ship date, which might be an indication that they'll eventually show up....or it might not be. I guess I just kinda assumed that all those limited, physical sets would get eshop releases.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Yeah. I assumed that too. I only want the basic “flashback” collection, which was released to and which I can have delivered to my home by Sunday. It’s not in the eShop, though, which is just weird...
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

It's showing up for me now, at least online, so maybe you just checked too early :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I grabbed Zanac too! What a cool game. I'm also up to date on Arcade Archives. Never expected to see Quarth on there.

I actually didn't think I'd be able to buy a physical copy of Turrican Flashback at all; nice to see it's more widely available than I anticipated. This "Inin Games" is quite the interesting publisher.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm pretty happy about Turrican Flashback. The Anthology collections are kind of a joke for the asking price. Over $80 for Turrican 3 (which is just Amiga Mega Turrican), Super Turrican 2 and some extras? No thanks. Maybe the director's cuts are enough to entice super fans though from what I saw of the Super Turrican one on the Super Nt it seemed like an unfinished prototype.

My biggest gripe is that it's a shame to leave out Super Turrican 2 on Flashback but I suppose it is a very different game to the others and at least Flashback covers the core Turrican experience, which was Factor 5's reasoning as well, and is all I wanted.

It would have been nice to see the C64 versions too, and maybe Super Turrican NES. I am glad that I finally have a legal way to experience non-compromised versions of the first two games without having the old computer hardware.

I need to check out this Zanac port, I'm a big fan of the game.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sweet. I have a physical copy arriving today. I am pretty pumped to play the Amiga originals, and I am particularly looking forward to the second game, which HG101 placed among the best games of all time.

Be sure to check out the Zanac port. I’ve spent some time with it, and it’s interesting. If you turn off the more modern graphical filters, it looks and plays like an outstanding Game Gear port. (If you keep the filters on, it plays the same, but looks a lot better.) That is, it is more “zoomed-in” than the original, and the gameplay is remixed to accommodate a smaller screen. It is definitely Zanac, though, and if you’re a fan of the original, you’ll probably like this game too.