Famicom Disk System - information and diskussion

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Famicom Disk System - information and diskussion

Post by nightrnr »

Well, I got myself an original Famicom, a Ram adapter (with a [likely] broken disk player to sit beneath for aesthetics), and an FDSStick.

I've mostly been enjoying the subtle differences in games that I already know and like (Castlevanias, Zeldas, Marios, etc), but I'll move on to newer territory soon enough.
I love the focus and purpose of that setup.

I finally found a, RF cord that looks halfway decent on my 19" CRT, so I am making do.

Thing is, I had planned to A/V mod the thing, but totally botched the attempt on my other one (ordered 2 and was going to have one system dedicated for carts, one specifically for that FDS.
I'm debating whether to get an NESRGB and try that route, but I don't know how bad I wrecked the thing and that's a pretty involved mod, not to mention expensive.

A shame really, as I just wanted a simple solution and the A/V mod looked within my capabilities. I might know where I went wrong, but unless I run into some more Famicoms for cheap, I'm traumatized for now.

Might get a desoldering gun, as I have some other projects that could benefit from one and I can't fathom getting the PPU off without severe damage to the thing otherwise.
...just another lost soul...
marurun

Post by marurun »

The FDS works great with the RetroAVS. Just throwing that out there...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Nope, I'm sticking with original systems...
... but I do like to hear the alternatives out there.

I still have hope with my botched Famicom though. There are several alternative mods that allow you to bypass the power board altogether. The system still turns on, so at least I didn't damage that part of it. Should still be an inexpensive mod option.

Not sure when I'll be brave enough to make my 2nd attempt though. The mod I'm looking at requires lifting pin 21 on the PPU. Not something you want to mess up.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

WHO'S STILL FLIPPIN TO SIDE B IN 2020?????
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I got a Hi-Fi for Christmas; so, I’m kind of doing that, I guess. :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

The more time elapses, the less accurate the hi-fi moniker becomes.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:WHO'S STILL FLIPPIN TO SIDE B IN 2020?????

I mostly enjoy FDS games via the PowerPak or Everdrive N8 on my front loader NES. Although I do own an authentic Famicom, RAM adapter and FDSSTICK, but it's all in storage right now. I actually haven't yet used the FDSSTICK, but I would like to finally try it out this year.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Not flipping sides, but pushing a button. I have a RAM adapter and FDSStick too. Play on my RGB modded AV Famicom. I tried out Otocky the other day.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

My current disk collection:

I'm at 44 games right now. Hope to hit 50 next year. What I'm looking to get next: Gun.Smoke, Final Commando: Akai Yousai (Jackal), Kaettekita Mario Bros., Wardner no Mori, Yuu Maze, Almana no Kiseki, and Ai Senshi Nicol.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Nice!

Out of curiosity, do you ever run into disks that are unreadable? I stopped trusting floppy disks years ago, but maybe I've just had bad experiences.

I know nothing lasts forever and such is the fate of our hobby. But if you have had better luck, maybe I'd procure a tiny FDS collection myself one day, just to represent the system better.