The Splatoon Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Opa Opa

Re: The Splatoon Thread

Post by Opa Opa »

Reached level 13 and finished the Inkling Girl amiibo challenges. I don't have any intentions of seeking out the other amiibo figures. I like the volley ball game you unlock though.

Currently using the Jet Squelcher. All I do is climb up to the high places and cover/maintain territory. Combined with the ink wall for protection, I'm a considerable pain in the neck for the opposing team. :P

alienjesus wrote:I've found the paint wall pretty useless myself, but I'm sure I'm just not using it well.

It provides an instant shield that will instantly kill enemies foolish enough to run into them, block enemy fire, allow your weapons to pass through, and will slowly fill your tank if you stand under it. It's great for playing defensively and will block entire hallways in the side passages of maps. You can also toss them for your teammates. I've saved a few people dropping down a paint wall from a higher platform. You ought to try it sometime.

EDIT.

New map & ranked battles are now up. You can also buy the NES zapper from the gun shop.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

Game isnt working too well for me at the moment. Was able to play 2 games, then it got stuck in the lobby for longer than I cared to wait, restarted the console and now it can't get me into a lobby at all.

Unrelated note, once you use the Amibo to unlock the gear/extra modes, does the game ever ask for the Amibo again? I was wondering if maybe we could get some sort of "Amibo Share" going for those of us that want the content, but were unable to get them at retail, and refuse to pay the scalpers their stupid prices. I dont know if this would work, there is a possibility that the game writes something to the Amibo when its touched to the game pad. It might be a dumb idea, but could be worth a shot... :oops:
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Opa Opa wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I've found the paint wall pretty useless myself, but I'm sure I'm just not using it well.

It provides an instant shield that will instantly kill enemies foolish enough to run into them, block enemy fire, allow your weapons to pass through, and will slowly fill your tank if you stand under it. It's great for playing defensively and will block entire hallways in the side passages of maps. You can also toss them for your teammates. I've saved a few people dropping down a paint wall from a higher platform. You ought to try it sometime.

I can definitely see the benefits of it, I'm just awful at using it.

Subweapons I like so far are:

- the standard ink bomb (the pyramid one) which I find useful for scaring people down from high ground so I can shoot them with my generally shorter range weapon

- the disruptor, which has low ink consumption and can be quite beneficial against the right opponents. Rollers will run right into range, snipers struggle to hit their mark and narrow scoped gunners will flail around uselessly.

- The squid beacon. Useful for getting back to key ground you need to hold ASAP.

I thought the chaser would be quite cool, but it hasn't worked out for me much. The burst bomb is utterly, utterly useless.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Saw the Squidboy and girl Amiibos today and they were the last ones...do you guys think they are worth buying?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

jay_red wrote:Game isnt working too well for me at the moment. Was able to play 2 games, then it got stuck in the lobby for longer than I cared to wait, restarted the console and now it can't get me into a lobby at all.

Unrelated note, once you use the Amibo to unlock the gear/extra modes, does the game ever ask for the Amibo again? I was wondering if maybe we could get some sort of "Amibo Share" going for those of us that want the content, but were unable to get them at retail, and refuse to pay the scalpers their stupid prices. I dont know if this would work, there is a possibility that the game writes something to the Amibo when its touched to the game pad. It might be a dumb idea, but could be worth a shot... :oops:

You only need them to start the challenge levels so I think they're pretty useless unless you'd like to replay the challenges.

I imagine sharing would work. If not, Nintendo are jerks. :lol:

ZeroAX wrote:Saw the Squidboy and girl Amiibos today and they were the last ones...do you guys think they are worth buying?

It depends on what content you want. Each one gives three different pieces of gear, a weapon, and a minigame.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Opa Opa wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:Saw the Squidboy and girl Amiibos today and they were the last ones...do you guys think they are worth buying?

It depends on what content you want. Each one gives three different pieces of gear, a weapon, and a minigame.

I don't even own a Wii U :lol:

I'll buy one at Christmas and I'm just thinking they'll be impossible to find like all other Amiibos
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
girlracer
Next-Gen

Post by girlracer »

ZeroAX wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:

I don't even own a Wii U :lol:

I'll buy one at Christmas and I'm just thinking they'll be impossible to find like all other Amiibos

just the boy and girl singles seem to be very common at the moment, its the 3pk that's currently hard to find since squid amiibo isn't single released.

as far as the game goes I'm currently playing the single player as I don't have any time to play games through the week days, but so far I enjoy it.
3DSStrider
64-bit

Post by 3DSStrider »

I was so excited for this game. I knew it would be a day one purchase for me and I would enjoy it so much. And then I found out that it has my most hated gameplay mechanic, the worst thing to happen to shooters since Half-Life style in-game playable cutscene bullshit.

Regenerating health.

So I put that $60 towards a Dreamcast wheel instead.
Insert clever quote here.
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/3DSStrider
Let's Play Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuNEFO ... qkaLOHc2nQ
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

3DSStrider wrote:I was so excited for this game. I knew it would be a day one purchase for me and I would enjoy it so much. And then I found out that it has my most hated gameplay mechanic, the worst thing to happen to shooters since Half-Life style in-game playable cutscene bullshit.

Regenerating health.

In a game where kills don't count towards your score I don't see the health as a bad thing...
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

jay_red wrote:
3DSStrider wrote:I was so excited for this game. I knew it would be a day one purchase for me and I would enjoy it so much. And then I found out that it has my most hated gameplay mechanic, the worst thing to happen to shooters since Half-Life style in-game playable cutscene bullshit.

Regenerating health.

In a game where kills don't count towards your score I don't see the health as a bad thing...

Most weapons kill you in under a second from full health anyway, and the matches are only 3 minutes long, so I agree. The system makes sense for this game.