NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Opa Opa

Re: Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword-what should I play fi

by Opa Opa Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:04 am

ZeroAX wrote:Link Between Worlds....seriously don't waste your time with the OOT rehash and the worst zelda game after Zelda 2.

>Calls TP a rehash
>Recommends lazy sequel instead
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:26 am

Opa Opa wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:Link Between Worlds....seriously don't waste your time with the OOT rehash and the worst zelda game after Zelda 2.

>Calls TP a rehash
>Recommends lazy sequel instead

The funny thing is that I never actually liked Link to the Past in the first place :lol:

@MrPopo and @BoneSnapDeez

touche

I'm actually more of a Sonic fan
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:40 pm

Play Twilight Princess first. I haven't had any experience with the GC version, but I found both of the Wii releases to be enjoyable. Skyward Sword has its moments of frustration where my motions for the wii-mote plus weren't accurately registered, but I was also laying on the couch. Both are quality games. I personally like some of the music, when boss battles open up for you to attack. Koji Kondo is on it!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:01 pm

Blu wrote:Play Twilight Princess first. I haven't had any experience with the GC version, but I found both of the Wii releases to be enjoyable. Skyward Sword has its moments of frustration where my motions for the wii-mote plus weren't accurately registered, but I was also laying on the couch. Both are quality games. I personally like some of the music, when boss battles open up for you to attack. Koji Kondo is on it!

Koloktos / Moldarach's theme was mindblowing along with being one of the coolest fights across the 3D Zelda's.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

by AmishSamurai Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:41 pm

I will agree with TP first. The motion controls in TP aren't as developed, and SS they really adapt to you about halfway through so it becomes a lot more natural feeling.

I don't think TP was "pandering" to american audiences, and I did like the darker feel. You can tell they did cut back on potentially how dark the game could have been. My big complaint of TP was you could tell just about exactly when the devteam was told "we need to get this out now chopchop". The Zant battle was so awful.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:11 pm

AmishSamurai wrote:
I don't think TP was "pandering" to american audiences, and I did like the darker feel. You can tell they did cut back on potentially how dark the game could have been.

Here's the thing, even the development team admit it was pandering to American audiences to an extent. It's whole conception came about as a reaction to the backlash against the perceived childishness of Wind Waker's artistic style and a lot of that hate did come from the States. They have also admitted that the decision to omit Tingle from the game was because "Americans didn't like him". The same reason that his first DS game was not released in the States (Nintendo actually ran an online poll asking North American gamers if they wanted to see the game released and the majority voted no! That's right, people actually voted for a (great) game not to be released. Mind boggling)

The irony is that both Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland and the Zelda games he appeared in prior to TP (Majora's Mask and Wind Waker) all contain elements that are far darker than the generic "realism" found in Twilight Princess (although that bit with the grinning Link clones was creepy.)

I'm not meaning to generalise all American gamers here but I think its fair to say that TP was very much the "Americanised" Zelda, in terms of the demographic that Nintendo was looking to satiate and the cheers it got for being all grown up looking on its unveiling, while cool at the time, are embarrassing in retrospect. Wind Waker was the far superior game with an artistic style that has aged far better.

Having said all of that, at least TP picked an artistic style and stuck with it. Skyward Sword doesn't seem to know what it wants to be and is poorer for it.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:24 pm

'Cause all Zelda fans are from "America"...
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Opa Opa wrote:'Cause all Zelda fans are from "America"...

That's a point better addressed to Nintendo. I'm merely clarifying their on record design logic for Twilight Princess. I'm certainly not defending it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Betagam7 wrote:Having said all of that, at least TP picked an artistic style and stuck with it. Skyward Sword doesn't seem to know what it wants to be and is poorer for it.

Huh?... SS's art and style was awesome to me.

Getting tempted to reply TP myself so if you hit it up Opa I might go for it too.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:35 am

Xeogred wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:Having said all of that, at least TP picked an artistic style and stuck with it. Skyward Sword doesn't seem to know what it wants to be and is poorer for it.

Huh?... SS's art and style was awesome to me.

Getting tempted to reply TP myself so if you hit it up Opa I might go for it too.

Maybe you can put your finger on what that style was meant to be. I never could. For me it looked like they wanted to keep the "realistic" modeling of Twilight Princess but also go for the cartoonish aspects of Wind Waker and the result was an awkward pairing.

The styles didn't blend well in my opinion, the best example I can think of being the design for "The imprisoned". They go for this eyeless, scaly monstrosity from beyond the void...and then give it comedy oversized toes. It's typical of how the two styles clash throughout the game.

As little time as I have for TP's "realism" I prefer it over SS's halfway house.

I actually wouldn't mind replaying TP now though (if I could find the GC version cheap). Since finally beating MM recently and reading about the Heroes Shade I'd like to re-explore it...but then I remind myself about all those tedious Wolf parts and orb hunting....a tradition of repetitive mini quests that was carried over into SS and needs to be ditched by the next game.
Return to Nintendo