NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword-what should I play fi

by Gamerforlife Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:46 pm

Twilight Princess

I actually finished that one. I lost interest in Skyward Sword, which should say enough about both games.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:49 pm

I don't know if TP supports classic controls on the Wii (I played it on the Gamecube). If not, I'd say don't play either game. I seriously have zero tolerance these days for that motion control crap. TP on the Gamecube is a fairly good game though, and not a weird, rushed port with the world reversed
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:37 pm

I enjoyed Twilight Princess a lot, on the GameCube. I had a friend at the time with the Wii version and man, WTF with wagglin' every time you want to attack. I really can't recommend the Wii version of that game.

I've had Skyward Sword for years now, still haven't booted it up. Maybe I should do something about that this year...
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:02 pm

I'd say Twilight Princess. The motion controls are so noninvasive that it's not a bother at all. You could play the game with the Wiimote in your lap. I have no idea what others are saying.

The beginning is rather slow and the first half kind of has its ups and downs, but I felt the game got really strong in the later half. Lots of dungeons, it's probably most comparable to OoT in terms of design and style.

Skyward Sword levels up things a lot. For one, it's kind of got the standard Nintendo style of today, with a slightly more cartoony colorful look, but still nothing like Wind Waker. It was a perfect balance I felt and everything looked so lively. I also loved Zelda in this one, she was different than the norm and a bit more down to Earth, cute too. Then there's the orchestrated music.. this alone might be reason enough to hit up TP first, because the SS soundtrack just obliterates the other 3D games scores to me (outside of OoT/MM, just for nostalgia sake). It'll be hard to go back to them now for me, hah. This one has more true motion controls and kicked ass with it. Yeah, I'm not always in the mood for this, but it was unique and utilized very well.

It's probably the longest 3D Zelda, at least it was for me. It's design is more comparable to MM or WW, with a central hub and a few main areas. There is a fair chunk of backtracking, but looking back on it I just loved the whole thing and had a blast. The sky flying element doesn't really take up any time at all or have much emphasis around it, unlike WW's sailing... which was very boring to me. So the main areas you go to cover a lot of land, unlike WW's dinky islands. But it's arguably more broken up and not as open as OoT or TP. Still, this is also one with lots of dungeons. Always a plus to me.

TP is a bit darker. But SS was a bit more lively and had charm.

But anyways yeah, let's just say release date order? TP then SS. Both are amazing.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:47 am

The flying in SS was very similar to using the horse in OoT, MM, and TP, in terms of how long a flying session would be.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:40 pm

I wouldn't recommend either of them. I found TP to be a cynical rehash of Ocarina that pandered to American tastes for "Mature" gaming.

I was equally disappointed with SS which didn't seem to know what it wanted to be.

Although the latter undoubtedly made better use of motion controls, both games were ultimately blighted by them.

Have you considered/already beaten Wind Waker HD? The GC original was, imo, the last truly great Zelda game. The events that occur in it's finale are almost a metaphor for the series decline thereafter.
vatermuzik
64-bit

by vatermuzik Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:52 pm

I should preface this by stating that I only have the GC version of TP.

Both games are great in their own way.

TP has a certain "lived in" feel to it. It can be a little too dreary at times, but makes for a great, albeit barren, landscape to play through. Some don't like the darker tone, but I thought it was a welcome return to the OOT style.

SS wins overall for having a fresher, more compelling story, IMHO. The world is colorful and a joy to adventure through. The backtracking can be a little annoying but not enough for me to deduct any major points. It's a stellar game.

So, I'd start with TP. You'll probably enjoy both games more going that route.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:03 pm

Link Between Worlds....seriously don't waste your time with the OOT rehash and the worst zelda game after Zelda 2.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:21 pm

ZeroAX wrote:Link Between Worlds....seriously don't waste your time with the OOT rehash and the worst zelda game after Zelda 2.

You can't trust Zero; he's a Sega fan.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:42 pm

MrPopo wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:Link Between Worlds....seriously don't waste your time with the OOT rehash and the worst zelda game after Zelda 2.

You can't trust Zero; he's a Sega fan.

Seriously. Surprised he didn't just recommend Golden Axe Warrior or something.

As for these games, I would just play both in the order they were released.
Return to Nintendo