How Is Your SNES Gaming Going?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: How Is Your SNES Gaming Going?

Post by Tanooki »

I guess it's kind of SNES gaming... I found a big box Super Gameboy complete in really excellent shape and today I pulled it out and my stack of GB games and started popping in a few to relive the past a bit.

I forgot how much fun that little device can be with the added effects, certain games with set colors (by Nintendo on board), the borders, the well done to truly halfassed level of SGB support in titles.

Pulled out a range of things from DK and cleared a few stages to take it to the ship. Then did most of a stage in Castlvania Legends and 2 1/2 in Contra the Alien Wars and realized how long it has been. Flipped through a few more and did some time on a few like Gauntlet II and ultimately my JP import of Super Dodgeball and I kicked its ass and finished it (love that game.)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Can the Super Gameboy be emulated?

That's how I experienced playing a lot of handheld games growing up actually, since I wasn't allowed to have a Gameboy. My aunt had the Super so I got to play some games at least.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I don't believe it ever had been attempted. Years ago I remember when the cart got dumped and some developers like zsknight and the snes9x crew looked at it, but I think it got a big pass because there were already gameboy emulators.

Personally I think it was lazy not to because if they were preaching for so long about compatibility to throw it under the bus. You got me curious though so I'll go dig some. You'd think that Higan which was shooting for absolute even if it was creeping slow to do it accuracy would have cracked that egg if any of them.

What bothered me even more wasn't that but gameboy emulator makers really didn't want to touch the borders let alone the special audio/graphics tweaks for some dumb reason (or not) as few really went far with it. Some of them will do the borders but not much did the rest, even the simple stored color codes for original titles that were built in.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I wonder what Metroid 2 looked like via Super Gameboy.

I guess emulating something like that could be quite complex, but I have no idea. I'm thinking it would be accessible through an SNES emulator, but maybe it would be easier to have a standalone Super Gameboy thing that only plays Gameboy games the way an SNES would. But then it basically could be an SNES emulator.

No clue, but it was a really cool device back in the day.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yes, the Super Game Boy has been emulated by multiple emulators: higan/bsnes is one of them. Use the "Load Special" command. BGB also works, but it appears to miss the SNES-style audio for Pauline's cries for help, instead playing nothing.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Hmm well there ya go. I do have higan on here and just downloaded the SGB ROM to go with my cart so this could get interesting to try out.

Maybe I'm missing something as I have higan101, but I do not see anywhere where to do what you said in the menu, and it won't even load up my rom at all just as a stock SNES game either.

Metroid 2 is one of the unique set of games Nintendo made up a custom color setup for build into the SGB itself. When the game is in there it keeps samus a nice Red/Yellow and then the area kind of dictates the other 2 colors it can use outside of black/white which are reserved as well. It actually makes the game look really great and makes things pop out better than in black and white mode.

More or less any game with a special setup was developed by Nintendo, but in some cases just published by them such as was the case with Street Fighter II.

EDIT: Why is it that Higan 103 is making independent directories and copies of the ROM files I'm loading elsewhere on my computer every time I load a game up and why will it not let me stop that? 101 didn't do it, and now I'm stuck as I erased 101...grr. About to erase it and grab something else less asinine. I don't need a copy of a copy of anything that gets started.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

higan is weird. He made some strange structural changes. Try dropping back to bsnes 0.70 instead. That's what I used last night.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Yeah I just read into that on his website, had to dig for it.

He seems to be taking some self righteous stand against emulators in general and the PC format because 'normal' computers break stuff down separately into Program and Character(graphics) data and that's what his tool is doing to the games. It makes another directory entirely for system, then a sub for the game, then the broken up file within. Pretty ballsy. I'll have to find older higan 101 again that didn't do it, or just stop using his stuff as that really does cross the line in my book.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, he's sacrificing usability on the altar of... well, something. It's definitely a bit of a crusade with byuu, and I have tremendous respect for what he's done, but it sometimes feels a wee bit overboard.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That's a good way to put it. He's sacrificing usability on the altar of deadpan OCD level accuracy now going beyond the program itself and into dissecting ROMs.

I used to converse with him off and on for quite a few years back in the pre-Higan days. He always had good intentions and didn't amazing work, but going to this one extreme I just can't support it anymore which is a shame.

I'll have to find the older higan that didn't do that 101 (or 102 if it won't do it either) because 103 is a directory nightmare with that setup. A true shame.