HELP ME LIST: N64 games with widescreen and surround sound

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

HELP ME LIST: N64 games with widescreen and surround sound

Post by Ziggy »

Here's a list I want to compile for myself, but I'm sure others will be interested in it as well.

I'd like to compile a list of N64 games that have widescreen modes. There's doesn't seem to be a definitive list anywhere. Even so, I wanna take it a step further. I want to list whether it's anamorphic widescreen (true 16:9 that will fill the entire screen) or letterbox widescreen (remains in 4:3 with black bars at the top and bottom). I have absolutely no desire to use letterbox widescreen on an HDTV, so this is very useful information to know.

Also, a number of N64 games have surround sound. Some are Dolby Surround while others have a "surround sound" option. I want to list these games as well.

Once the list gets started, I want to make a table for it (that I'll update with new entries when we get them).

Here's a short widescreen list I found: http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/shee ... d,278/p,9/

Huh, that's funny. They're all Rare games. I happen to know that Jet Force Gemini and Mickey's Speedway USA are both letterbox. I know Goldeneye and DK64 are both anamorphic, but I'd have to double check Perfect Dark and Banjo-Tooie. Are there any other widescreen games for the N64?

As for surround sound, I found this thread: http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?p=8459

There's a short list, but it seems like there's some debate about it.
Last edited by Ziggy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy

Re: Help me list: N64 games with widescreen and surround sou

Post by Ziggy »

See how nice a table looks?

N64 WW SS.JPG
N64 WW SS.JPG (48.17 KiB) Viewed 14033 times

I just need more games...
Last edited by Ziggy on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I'll need to hook my n64 back up later and check the Zeldas for you. I think they have dolby surround.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm sure the Zeldas don't have Dolby, but IIRC they do have a surround sound setting.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Ziggy587 wrote:I'm sure the Zeldas don't have Dolby, but IIRC they do have a surround sound setting.

I just checked...Ocarina of Time has surround and Majora's Mask has Dolby surround.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I find it odd that Conker doesn't have widescreen at all, while all of those other Rare games have it in some form.

Conker was their last game on the system right? I wonder why they didn't include it.

Also, just to pester you a bit, its Gemini. :)
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

CFFJR wrote:I find it odd that Conker doesn't have widescreen at all, while all of those other Rare games have it in some form.

Conker was their last game on the system right? I wonder why they didn't include it.

I'm guessing with Conker that maybe they had performance issues with the increased FOV or something along those lines.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

AppleQueso wrote:
CFFJR wrote:I find it odd that Conker doesn't have widescreen at all, while all of those other Rare games have it in some form.

I'm guessing with Conker that maybe they had performance issues with the increased FOV or something along those lines.

Ah yeah, that makes sense.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, I think they pulled out all the stops for Conker's, so widescreen didn't make it. It's not like there were many widescreen TVs around at the time.

The World Is Not Enough has an anamorphic widescreen mode, and well as a "surround sound" setting.

Ah yes, I misspelled Gemini. Easy to fix, as I'll probably be updating that table a lot of times. Thanks for pointing it out.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Maybe post your Chart in the OP for an instant look of updates without scrolling down? This is very good reference info that might get lost later if left buried in the Nintendo section, perhaps a move to the Guides Section? I saved your JPG Chart on my PC, this is very useful.

That Anamorphic setting is interesting. A widescreen affect that shows more of the sides and fills the screen even on a 4:3 screen. A skinny bear might be worth for seeing additional footage on the sides, I'll have to check this out again on Banjo Tooie.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425