HELP ME LIST: N64 games with widescreen and surround sound

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Re: Help me list: N64 games with widescreen and surround sou

Post by Ziggy »

CRTGAMER wrote:Maybe post your Chart in the OP for an instant look of updates without scrolling down? This is very good reference info that might get lost later if left buried in the Nintendo section, perhaps a move to the Guides Section? I saved your JPG Chart on my PC, this is very useful.

Don't bother saving the chart now, it'll only be updated again and again. There's tons of games with surround sound that are missing from the chart, and hopefully some more widescreen games as well (unless Rare was the only ones to make widescreen modes). If the list ever becomes complete, or close to it, I could also repost it as a thread in the guides forum. This thread can just be for compiling the list and discussion pertaining to it.

One good idea is if the list becomes complete, perhaps we can turn it into an article posted on the main site? Aside from just listing games that have such modes, I could do a small write up to explain what anamorphic widescreen is versus letterbox, what Dolby Pro Logic and games with just a "surround sound" option means.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Ziggy587 wrote:If the list ever becomes complete, or close to it, I could also repost it as a thread in the guides forum. This thread can just be for compiling the list and discussion pertaining to it.

One good idea is if the list becomes complete, perhaps we can turn it into an article posted on the main site? Aside from just listing games that have such modes, I could do a small write up to explain what anamorphic widescreen is versus letterbox, what Dolby Pro Logic and games with just a "surround sound" option means.

The Published Article or at least in the Guides section a good idea, a great reference! The Chart is so useful, I'll right click overwrite save as you post updated screenshots. I like the JPG mode for an instant load over having to boot up Excel or whatever spreadsheet you are using.

I'll take Anamorphic over Letter Box black upper and lower bars any day, even if it means a squeezed fill the screen stretch on my HD 4:3. Widescreen HD owners really gain with Anamorphic imagery, utilizes the entire screen without any squeeze. Well unless a movie is in 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 ultra wide mode, even then I prefer a squeeze full screen.

I posted about Anamorphic in my CRT VS LCD Guide, might be of use for your article?

ImageImage
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

sonic2041
24-bit

Post by sonic2041 »

Doesn't Goldeneye have options for both letterbox and anamorphic.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Would you be interested in adding a Pal Optimized column?

Most games have borders, but some (I know Banjo Tooie) have the option to be fullscreen (with widescreen as well) on PAL consoles.
Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

CRT, I play these WS games on my 4:3 Wega with 16:9 enhancement turned on. I'm surprised you prefer the squished distorted image over letterbox.

For the Letterboxed games, one should be aware the letterbox bars count towards the resolution. So a game has 240 lines, the letterbox bars take up part of that resolution, leaving the game with less. So there is a trade off. Anamorphic does not come at the cost of any resolution.

Ziggy, Banjo-Tooie has Dolby Surround. Also the cutscenes continue to be letterboxed even with WS turned on. I double checked, and it actually shows more of the image in the cutscenes too. So with WS turned on the cut scenes are 2.35:1 like an action movie.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Jamisonia wrote:CRT, I play these WS games on my 4:3 Wega with 16:9 enhancement turned on. I'm surprised you prefer the squished distorted image over letterbox.

For the Letterboxed games, one should be aware the letterbox bars count towards the resolution. So a game has 240 lines, the letterbox bars take up part of that resolution, leaving the game with less. So there is a trade off. Anamorphic does not come at the cost of any resolution.

You provided my answer in your second paragraph. Just my preference to get all the image to show and use all the screen real estate. I think if I had a 16.9:1 widescreen in the front room, I would even prefer a 2.39:1 movie to be squeeze stretched. I'll take the slight distortion to get both widescreen and a full pic over the black bars any day. If the only choice is black bars to see a widescreen movie, then I would definitely prefer that over pan and scan.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

Well in the case of SD Wegas 16:9 enhancement you don't lose resolution. It compresses all 480 scanlines into the area occupied by a letterboxed frame. I'm betting your HD Wega probably does the same thing. So unless you really just hate the black bars, you're not losing any actual resolution.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

sonic2041 wrote:Doesn't Goldeneye have options for both letterbox and anamorphic.

You're right.

Goldeneye is actually pretty unique. It has a 4:3 and 16:9 option that's totally separate from another aspect ratio option. It basically makes the game wider like action movies and then super wide. I think it's called Full, Wide and Cinema. Either three aspect ratios can be letterbox (4:3 option) or anamorphic (16:9 option). Pretty advanced, especially for a game of that time.

edit: Perfect Dark has the same options as Goldeneye, as far as aspect ratio goes.

Army Men: Sarge's Heroes and Turok 2 both have a letterbox widescreen option.

A note with Turok 2 though, it has a 4:3 Low (240p) and High (480i) resolution mode, then a letterbox high resolution mode, so I don't think the letterbox option is available if you don't have the Expansion Pak installed. I'd have to check with the Jumper Pak installed.
Ziggy

Re: HELP ME LIST: N64 games with widescreen and surround sou

Post by Ziggy »

Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 also has a letterbox widescreen option.

I haven't been updating the JPEG table here in the forum thread, but I have been updating it on my computer.
Le_Mons
32-bit

Re: HELP ME LIST: N64 games with widescreen and surround sou

Post by Le_Mons »

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Road Rash 64 has a couple different "widescreen" modes.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My Trade / Want list - always updating!