Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Schemetics PCB gerber question

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
hidden0
16-bit

Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Schemetics PCB gerber question

Post by hidden0 »

Hello, I was wondering since this console has always been cloned and heavily Produced , Is there any source of it PCB gerber files or any Kicad file for the Console PCB design available ?

I've seen someone selling on Aliexpress with Legit Sega CPU and RGB chip integrated with Mega Amp etc.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Schemetics PCB gerber question

Post by Anapan »

Not that I know of. The clone consoles are SOC and sound bad - Inferior clones with emulation integrated only - even the official minis are emulation. Only good clones use FPGA - Mister.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

Can't FPGA configurations be adapted to actual hardware?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I think he's asking if there's any open sourced PCB files for a Genesis motherboard, like OpenTendo. That would be neat if there were, but I do not know of any. My guess is the one on Aliexpress is not shared.

There are many revisions to the Genesis. If someone were to make an open sourced replacement motherboard, what I personally would like to see is something that could be fit into either a model 1 or 2 Genesis console shell (if possible).
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

There are full schematics for some MegaDrive/Genesis revisions available online.

A motivated individual could reproduce them in an appropriate CAD program and then use them to route a new PCB.

It wouldn't be that difficult, but it would be a lot of time and it wouldn't be a cheap project.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Oh, yeah I do remember seeing some bits of schematics, but they're not ready for PCBway or the like. They were like printed troubleshootong type things. Referenced for mods.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Yeah, that's what I meant about having to reproduce them in an appropriate CAD setup for later PCB routing.

All that said, the Genesis/MegaDrive does have at least on custom chip, the Video Display Processor, that I am betting would only be available by sourcing one from an existing Genesis/MegaDrive. So I'm not sure there would be a lot of value in having a new compatible PCB.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well, one reason would be to replace a damaged board. Like if someone unearths a Genesis from a basement or shed or something, and the motherboard is just beyond repair (or a replacement would be easier). But what would be neat is to see integrated mods. Like the "Triple Bypass" mod, S-Video, or whatever else.
hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Well, one reason would be to replace a damaged board. Like if someone unearths a Genesis from a basement or shed or something, and the motherboard is just beyond repair (or a replacement would be easier). But what would be neat is to see integrated mods. Like the "Triple Bypass" mod, S-Video, or whatever else.

This gave me this idea with built in RGB Amp and sound amps etc ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8KDQGqEN1M

And yes i was talking about some opentendo like projects and it was heavily clones , Early hardware clone was very similar to Original Sega boards , So i was thinking there must be some custom pcb or schematics floating , Found one for Game Gear on easyeda website.