PS2 almost dead issues?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

PS2 almost dead issues?

Post by o.pwuaioc »

So I've been lately having a some trouble with my PS2, and I wonder what exactly this might mean besides "time for a new one."

First, DVD's had been skipping a bit, including brand new discs, then game discs went next, but I could still play some games.

But it got weird when I couldn't play Need for Speed anymore. I get to a loading menu, try to race, and...nothing. It makes a "confirmed" noise, but I never get to play. It doesn't freeze, as I can freely go around the menu.

I thought maybe it had to do with systems settings. I recently noticed the PS2 clock was out of sync, so I fixed that. I tried playing both a memory card and save profile in and without any at all.

Any ideas as to what this might mean? Is it just a bad laser, or does that last thing sound strange?
Ziggy

Re: PS2 almost dead issues?

Post by Ziggy »

What model is it?

You might just have to clean the lens. That's where I would start. If it's a phat model, you'll have to take the console apart some to get at the lens.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ziggy587 wrote:What model is it?

You might just have to clean the lens. That's where I would start. If it's a phat model, you'll have to take the console apart some to get at the lens.

70001 slim. I already air dusted it, is it safe to use a cloth?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I've replaced lots of PS2 laser assemblies. It always fixes them to like-new performance. Nothing else I tried has ever improved disc reading.
My go-to place is Rich's PSX Parts. He's very knowledgeable about all console repairs, and has always replied to emails quickly.
Last edited by Anapan on Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Anapan wrote:I've replaced lots of PS2 laser assemblies. It always fixes them to like-new performance. Nothing else I tried has ever improved disc reading.

That's good news! The weirdness with NFS had made me wonder if something stranger was going on!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I'm going to be that mod guy...

The phat PS2 + HDD + OPL is amazing. Real hardware without the disc drive issues.

With a slim, you'll have ~70% compatibility running games off USB.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Anapan wrote:I've replaced lots of PS2 laser assemblies. It always fixes them to like-new performance. Nothing else I tried has ever improved disc reading.
My go-to place is Rich's PSX Parts. He's very knowledgeable about all console repairs, and has always replied to emails quickly.

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this resource, Anapan! I picked up a GameCube I got repaired today, but I also have a PS1 and XBox 360 with lasers that aren't reading. Unfortunately my local game store stated they aren't repairing PS1s at the moment, as they don't have a supply of the lasers and they don't repair 360s either, which is understandable.

It looks like this online shop stocks the PS1 laser I would need, along with some other useful accessories. Maybe I'll purchase one and see if my local shop or someone else with the know how can do the repair. Some interesting accessories and services offered on that site.

Also, hope you can get your PS2 back up to full speed soon, o.pwuaioc!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I bought a MC2SIO. The increased read speed off the memory card slot over the USB port's speed makes more games play well.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:What model is it?

70001 slim. I already air dusted it, is it safe to use a cloth?

You can probably look up "How to clean an optical drive lens" and get some good tips, but here's what I usually do: Take a Q-Tip and wet one end with isopropyl alcohol. You want it damp, but not dripping wet. Gently swirl the alcohol tip on the lens. Then quick, while the lens is still wet (alcohol evaporates very fast), flip the Q-Tip around and use the dry end to swirl on the lens. It's not that you need to dry the alcohol off, because it'll dry well on it's own, but dry swabbing the lens while it's still wet with alcohol will remove any crap that might be on it. Otherwise the crap will dry back on the lens.

I would definitely try cleaning the lens first, before replacing any parts. You might have to do the above cleaning process more than once.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Good resource on lasers. Let us know how the quality control is. I've personally had tough luck on 3rd party lasers.

Anapan wrote:I bought a MC2SIO. The increased read speed off the memory card slot over the USB port's speed makes more games play well.

Niceeee. How's the spead compared to the USB 1.0 ports? I always wished someone found a way to use that Firewire port on phats ...

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5