Super Gameboy SNES Eprom Mod

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
hidden0
16-bit

Super Gameboy SNES Eprom Mod

Post by hidden0 »

SO i have this Wild Idea of installing a Eprom or Flash chip with a Rom of Super Gameboy Player 2 on a Super Gameboy i dunno if that will work or not ?

Hardware seems same anybody got any info if that has been done before or if thats even possible ?

Both Bios/Rom Showing LOWROM / 0SRAM

Super Gameboy Player 1

Super Gameboy Player 2
Ziggy

Re: Super Gameboy SNES Eprom Mod

Post by Ziggy »

Hmm, well what I think is the mask ROM (the chip all the way on the right side of both boards) is a 32-pin IC. So my guess is that it may be the same pinout Nintendo used for their other mask ROMs. And it looks like it may be the same footprint used in other carts such as GSU, so existing adapter might be possible barring any fitment issues (which I think there might be). I would say trace the board out to confirm the pinout of the mask ROM, but that might be tough since it might be controlled through another IC. I would say try and trace out the pins for the mask ROM and see what you find.

Pretty sure there's also an existing mod for the Super Gameboy (1) that fixes the clock speed. That might also be neat to do along with a ROM swap, both of which would make it a true Super Gameboy 2.
hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Hmm, well what I think is the mask ROM (the chip all the way on the right side of both boards) is a 32-pin IC. So my guess is that it may be the same pinout Nintendo used for their other mask ROMs. And it looks like it may be the same footprint used in other carts such as GSU, so existing adapter might be possible barring any fitment issues (which I think there might be). I would say trace the board out to confirm the pinout of the mask ROM, but that might be tough since it might be controlled through another IC. I would say try and trace out the pins for the mask ROM and see what you find.

Pretty sure there's also an existing mod for the Super Gameboy (1) that fixes the clock speed. That might also be neat to do along with a ROM swap, both of which would make it a true Super Gameboy 2.

That's what i was aiming for , But roughly i can find the and match the GND and VCC if that matches with the pinout of normal Snes standard maskrom from FX style carts that will be great start.

So i checked the GSU to TSSOP adapter is not fitting because of the interference nor the GSU to EEprom one . :/
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

Ziggy587 wrote:How about this one?

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/05nrOQQh

This will be so bizare but i made one

Noted the missing Pads for 1mb and traced the paths and pins will wire it up after For 1MB and GSU.

just need to jump wire these and it might work
I know its bizzare
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It's not bizarre. If it works, it works! I've actually done something similar years ago with some old TSOP adapters that were big and clunky.

If your cut down adapter doesn't work, the one I linked looks like it might fit.
hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

Ziggy587 wrote:It's not bizarre. If it works, it works! I've actually done something similar years ago with some old TSOP adapters that were big and clunky.

If your cut down adapter doesn't work, the one I linked looks like it might fit.

Should work i guess cuz the connections missing i traced and there is nothign much left there just these 3 Jumpers ill give it a try now ,
hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

It is showing me black screen the pcb i chopped off i tried to rebuild by jumpers the rom i used was supergameboy player 2 bios with patched vapor edition . Double checked the soldering job all look good i am getting a black screen
Attachments
A6929538-9F5B-4A86-B841-71D37AC4A375.jpeg
A6929538-9F5B-4A86-B841-71D37AC4A375.jpeg (150.23 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

Still looking for some insights if anyone could help would be great.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I would try the adapter I linked above, and see if it fits unmodified.