My Sony Wega Remote Died, Apparently...

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Golgo 14
128-bit

Re: My Sony Wega Remote Died, Apparently...

Post by Golgo 14 »

Hello, I bought a Harmony remote. I dread the answer to this question, but I need a hub to set this thing up and make it work, don't I?

My apologies for hijacking this thread and just being an idiot in general.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Golgo 14 wrote:Hello, I bought a Harmony remote. I dread the answer to this question, but I need a hub to set this thing up and make it work, don't I?

And if so, can I use any Harmony hub with my 650 remote?

My apologies for hijacking this thread and just being an idiot in general.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You just need PC software.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/download

You plug the remote into a PC using a standard USB cable, then use the software to program the remote. It's actually really easy to do.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anapan wrote:@Ziggy - I mailed the remote. It's tracked but minimal feedback an no arrival date. Expect in a week and PM if not timely delivered. I think it can do everything yours could because of how close their manufacture date is and it's slightly more advanced than your remote as far as functions mapped to buttons.. If you decide to keep your Harmony remote, every model of Harmony remote is capable of the back catalog of IR devices. They all support codes for VCRs and TVs from the 70's, I tested this with a behemoth top loader VCR. All functions mapped onto the physical (now optional) remote for the Harmony Smart Control.

The remote came in today, and...

IT WORKS!!!1!

At least, what I've tested so far works. Power, input, display, volume up/down, menu and the number pad all work as they should. Which means I am able to access the secret menu. Thanks so much for sending this out, Anapan!

I'll still be holding on to the old remote for now, holding onto hope that one day I'll figure out what the heck happened to it.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Ziggy587 wrote:You just need PC software.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/download

You plug the remote into a PC using a standard USB cable, then use the software to program the remote. It's actually really easy to do.

Thanks, Ziggy. I was able to that and it was a simple process.

Unfortunately, it still couldn't do anything with the tv. At this point, I'm thinking there's something wrong with the tv's ability to read remotes. Maybe that's why a remote wasn't lying next to the tv when I found it. I think I should have left this POS on the sidewalk. :(
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Not sure if this would possibly be a problem or not, but I tried it on my TV anyway. Can't hurt. Sometimes on the front of a CRT you can see a lens that receives the IR signal from the remote. I cleaned the lens on mine, just in case it was mucked up and couldn't see the signal clearly.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Good idea. I'll try that.

I'm also starting to look around for other CRTs in my area in case I can't get this one to work.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Anapan wrote:@Ziggy - I mailed the remote. It's tracked but minimal feedback an no arrival date. Expect in a week and PM if not timely delivered. I think it can do everything yours could because of how close their manufacture date is and it's slightly more advanced than your remote as far as functions mapped to buttons.. If you decide to keep your Harmony remote, every model of Harmony remote is capable of the back catalog of IR devices. They all support codes for VCRs and TVs from the 70's, I tested this with a behemoth top loader VCR. All functions mapped onto the physical (now optional) remote for the Harmony Smart Control.

The remote came in today, and...

IT WORKS!!!1!

At least, what I've tested so far works. Power, input, display, volume up/down, menu and the number pad all work as they should. Which means I am able to access the secret menu. Thanks so much for sending this out, Anapan!

I'll still be holding on to the old remote for now, holding onto hope that one day I'll figure out what the heck happened to it.

So the remote that Anapan sent no longer works. :(

I can confirm that the remote itself works (I can see the IR on my phone's camera) but it stopped controlling the TV. My universal Radio Shack remote still works, although I had to program it again.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Too bad; Any chance it has just been switched to function as the remote for another system by pressing one of the top buttons that allows it to function as a universal remote to control another system? pressing the white TV button under the top-right green power button sould revert all of its functions to generic Sony TV mode.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I did try pressing the TV button, just in case of that, but it still didn't work. I'll try and mess around with it some more when I get the chance.