Sony KD-34XS955 rapidly switches input, channel, on its own

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Masquarr

Sony KD-34XS955 rapidly switches input, channel, on its own

Post by Masquarr »

Over five years ago, I bought a Sony KD-34XS955 CRT HDTV. In November of 2018, the TV set got the red light problem described in this topic, so I removed the two chips, bought the replacement SHINDENGEN MCZ3001DB chips, and installed them. It fixed the problem. However, I recently ran into a completely different problem.

The TV set no longer responds to my remote, even though the batteries have a charge. The light on the remote even lights up red while I push buttons, but the TV does nothing. I have to push the button on the TV set to turn it on.After I do that, the screen first says, “Now tuning” in the upper-left corner of the screen. Then it changes to, “No Signal.” The channel display in the upper-right corner keeps changing channels. It keeps gradually increasing the number of the channel, then eventually it starts over from channel 2.1. While this is happening, I can’t stop it. I can’t change the input, no matter which button I press on the TV set, or which button I press on the remote. I have created a video of this. I tried removing the batteries from the remote, but the problem persists. After doing more testing and observation, I've found that sometimes it changes the input, going through Video 1, Video 2, etc.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be the cause of this problem? Is it likely to be the two chips again, or does the problem probably lie somewhere else?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Sony KD-34XS955 rapidly switches input, channel, on its

Post by Anapan »

That is a strange problem. The channels auto-changing up is the TV scanning for OTA signals. Usually you'd need to start this process from the menu and upon completion, any available broadcast signals would be saved in memory for you to browse with the CH+ and CH- buttons, bypassing any that were unused.
It sounds like some unwanted/incorrect internal commands are being sent when the TV is powered on. I think it wouldn't have much to do with the power PCB where you replaced the faulty chips. More likely the problem is closer to the jungle chip. It sounds like instead of the part of the TV that interprets remote signals to commands in another chip there are unwanted i2c serial commands being sent. Or I could be completely wrong... I do not know a lot about this, but reading your post reminded me of a video I watched where someone needed to bypass and send their own i2c commands in order to RGB mod a Sony Television.

I tracked the video down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANSxASanZes

Around 21 minutes in, he starts working on solving his problem through software commands. Your solution will likely be a simple IC chip replacement or finding physical damage around where these unwanted commands are coming from. The video might help you track down the i2c bus line on your TV, or identify a faulty chip.

Good luck and let us know if you find anything.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage