New android phone deletes my downloads

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
nightrnr
Next-Gen

New android phone deletes my downloads

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, so I have a new phone (nothing special, a Moto G power) and I've noticed an annoying trend:
After a week or so, it seems to delete my downloads (without my expressed permission- how dare you).

I'm using google chrome for my browser. I save to an SD card (so far, just pictures). But I'd really like to keep what I find for future viewing (you know, kind of why I downloaded it).

I'm out of ideas though. I tried searching for why it happens, like if there's a setting that purges week old nonsense automatically to free up space. But nothing I've found seems to solve the issue.

So I'm stumped. Anyone run into this?
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy

Re: New android phone deletes my downloads

Post by Ziggy »

nightrnr wrote:But nothing I've found seems to solve the issue.

Get an iPhone :lol:

Just kidding!

When you looked for something in settings, did you check Chrome settings or the phone's settings? Or both?

IIRC, when you save stuff from Chrome it automatically chooses the folder. Right? So maybe as a work around you could create a new folder on your SD card and have Chrome use that folder for downloads. That way if there is some (stupid) setting that auto empties a set folder, it wont be that one.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, so Chrome gives me 2 options to save ”Downloads” (to phone storage) and "SD Card". I have no say otherwise. I guess I could find them and manually copy every time, but that will get old fast.

I tried settings on both the phone and Chrome, the latter doesn't seem to have an option for downloads other than the 2 options above.

I may try a different browser eventually. But it is mildly irritating. I hate when technology takes control away from you.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, that sounds very annoying.

The real annoying thing with Android is that each phone manufacturer can mod the OS to their tastes, and if you buy carrier branded phone then the carrier might have modified it as well (at least with preinstalled apps, which can do basically anything given the right permissions). So check for Motorola apps or apps preinstalled from your carrier. Those might be doing something "helpful" for you.

If that doesn't help, I would suggest contacting Motorola and seeing if they can help. Tech help can be hit or miss these days, so it might not be helpful. If you bought the phone through your carrier, you could try and seek help from them as well.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Firefox is the superior browser anyway. Good to get out of Google's grasp.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Hmm, actually that's a good point. You could also try using Fire Fox and see if you have the same issue. That way you could narrow down if the problem is stemming from Chrome or somewhere else.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I have used Firefox before (and still do on my laptop), but liked the interface options better on Chrome.
Still, I'm not devoted to it, I think I will try Firefox again and see how it goes.

You may be right Ziggy about an app managing things behind the scene. I'll look into it.
Meanwhile, I won't know for another week or so if the browser change will help.

Thanks for the advice though. I just needed to bounce a few options off you guys.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Hm, been Android for 11 years or so. Also had 2 Motos and never had that issue.

Actually the opposite :lol: when I archive my files, video, pics onto my HDD I have to delete a ton of random DLs (memes and such).

Fortunately, there's some solid Android forums out there.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5