PS3 on CRT

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
SpaceBooger

PS3 on CRT

Post by SpaceBooger »

With my son getting a switch, we've moved the PS3 to the 32in CRT I use for retro consoles.

I have it set with component cables and it looks nice.... Except it's so small because of the black bars on top and bottom when set to 4:3. I changed the display to 16:9 thinking the sides would just get cut off, which it did except it distorts and stretches the image.
Here is the TV it's hooked to: http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product ... 175&page=2

I know many people started that generation with a CRT, so any suggestions to get the best image for my situation?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy

Re: PS3 on CRT

Post by Ziggy »

Not all games are letterboxed. Some games have proper 4:3 and some even crop 4:3 to widescreen. I'm on mobile right now so I don't feel like finding the image, but iirc it was BioShock or some such game that showed 4;3 and 16;9 comparison, the 4:3 frame actually had more content than the 16:9 frame.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Unfortunately the aspect ratio setting is definitely correct when left at 4:3. What resolution do you have the console set to? I suspect that if you change the output resolution of the PS3 to 480i (or maybe 480p and **maybe** 720p, so long as its not set for 1080i) that it won't give you the bars, though you'll be losing some graphical fidelity. Have you tested any games from 2006-8? Those early games should be the most likely ones to support the 4:3 aspect ratio without bars.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I have the PS3 set to 4:3 and the only way an image shows up is if I set the PS3 to 480i. I can't find a list of 4:3 games, but I did find out that Uncharted (the game I am currently playing) is a 16:9 only game. I found a workaround where you set the PS3 to 16:9 then zoom in the TV to fix the distortion, but my TV does not have the option to change the zoom or aspect ratio.
So, now I'm going to keep looking for a list of 4:3 games.

Another question: are PS3 colors off? I had to majorly adjust my CRT colors to make the green in the jungle not so bright and all other colors not look metallic shiny... The green was too bright and dark, but with this setting Shining Force 3 and Super Mario World both look washed out. Is there a setting on the PS3 I am missing, or is this something I just have to deal with and adjust when switching from PS3 to the other retro consoles?

I should have left the PS3 on the HDTV... Oh well.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

A consumer SD CRT can't handle anything over 480i.

Try the first Bioshock for a proper 4:3 game.

The colors shouldn't be off. Maybe check the color space, if it's set to RGB when it should be set to YCbCr.