Help setting DS4 on Windows

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Help setting DS4 on Windows

Post by RCBH928 »

I can't believe I will buy a DS4 just to play the original Tomb Raider but c'est la vie.

I tried to connect my DS3 to my Windows laptop but its moot, it does not see it, it doesn't exist to it. I followed online tutorials, did driver install, restart disabling enhanced driver detection whatever ...nothing. I looked up DS4 and it seems like it does not fair any better, youtube tutorials, some of the software used look like the same for DS3.

I would appreciate any help with that if you can point me towards a working solution. It seems like we live in a parallel world where a DS4 controller works with Apple's iPhone out of the box but not on Windows PC. I specifically want to play it with a PS controller for authenticity, I just feel like Tomb Raider with PS controller is like Mario64 with its controller.
Ziggy

Re: Help setting DS4 on Windows

Post by Ziggy »

I too once tried to get my DS3 controller working on Windows and gave up with frustration. I know that the Steam client has support for the DS4 to the point that it's plug and play. If you're not using Steam, then yeah, it appears that you have to install a driver or software or something.

It looks like the easiest way to use a DS4 controller on PC (outside of Steam) is with the 8bitdo Wireless USB adapter.

https://www.8bitdo.com/wireless-usb-adapter/

This adapter can connect these controllers...

8BitDo controllers and arcade sticks (excluding 2.4G controllers)
Xbox Bluetooth controller, DualShock 3, DualShock 4, DualShock 4 Pro
Wiimote, Wii U Pro, Switch Joy-Cons, Switch Pro

...to Switch, Windows, macOS, Android TV box, Raspberry Pi, and the Retrofreak.

Some other options, just because...

A cheaper option would be the LogiTech F310. It's the Dual Shock layout. It has a switch on the back to put it in Direct Input or X Input modes, so it's compatible with any PC games that supports gamepads. I have one, it's comfortable. Not the exact shape of a DS2 or DS3, but not too far off that muscle memory screws you up. There's also the F710 if you prefer wireless.

I don't know which Tomb Raider you are wanting to play, but the newer ones are all cross platform. So you could argue that an Xbox controller is the "correct" controller too. Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers are plug and play with Windows. I'm assuming you're more keen to the Playstation controller, but I just figured I'd point this out.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

https://cronusmax.com/
I also had problems with DS3 & DS4 in Windows 7. At the time, DS3 was my favorite controller, and the only way I ever had any luck was buying a CronusMAX. It's not cheap, but it is the most versatile as it can make nearly any wired or wireless controller work on nearly any other system. It also has some crazy customization and macro programs it can load for remapping and button combo triggering.
This works because it controls a Bluetooth dongle independently of Windows and has it's own pairing procedure that pairs the controller to it. Once programmed in windows, it can be plugged into other systems and keep the pairing and any remapping you configured.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

nice solutions, so these 2 products are just plug and play? No extra tinkering and guaranteed to work? I actually have a nice Classic Wii controller that did not get much use would be great for snes era games. So if both devices do the same thing for PC use, is there any reason I want to buy CronusMAX for $60 more?

I also checked prices on modern controllers, what happened? $75 controller? I mean the whole console is like $300.

@Ziggy857
I actually prefer the Xbox controller for modern games(except for D-pad which I am not sure if they fixed), since modern console games are basically PC games and I feel the Xbox is the PC controller. I use playstation controller for authenticity experience-replicating on retro games, this is the original Tomb Raider. I feel like games like TR, RE, and PS classics are best experienced with a PS controller.

The current DS4 feels like a D-Pad connected to a buttons with a mini rod in the middle, it feels so far apart but I learned its all about what you get customise to.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The 8bitdo can't do quite as much, but it should serve your purpose just fine. The CronusMAX is not plug-and-play for wireless controllers, you must first do the pairing on a PC in it's software. After pairing, it's plug-and-play and supports more systems.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

So the 8bitdo is finally here and the experience of setting up was not pleasant i had to fight Windows for like an hour and finally my ds3 got recognized. Now it doesn't work with DOSbox games I think I should run an x mapper, but reWASD is commercial and can go up to $20. Should I get it or is there another way? also should I use the x mapper to set the buttons and close it or should it be running each time I want to play a game?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:Now it doesn't work with DOSbox games

The 8bitdo Wireless USB adapter supports both X-Input and Direct Input, so it should definitely work with DOSbox one way or the other.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:Now it doesn't work with DOSbox games

The 8bitdo Wireless USB adapter supports both X-Input and Direct Input, so it should definitely work with DOSbox one way or the other.

it works but i need to separate app to map they keyboard keys to the buttons
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Oh, you mean for games that don't natively support gamepads?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Oh, you mean for games that don't natively support gamepads?

I am not sure, I was told games on Steam will work no problem because Steam provides a wrapper but I am using it on Jazz JackRabbit from GOG and I have to reassign the keyboard keys to the controller buttons...I read that I need something like REwasd, not sure if this is the right solution.