Looking for a working Sega Saturn drive assembly!! HELP!!

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Saskatoonguy
8-bit

Looking for a working Sega Saturn drive assembly!! HELP!!

Post by Saskatoonguy »

My drive has failed on my Saturn and I need a working one to replace it with. I have a second Saturn that runs and when I use it's working drive in place of the broken one the failed Saturn runs great, so all I need is a working drive and I am good to go. I am hoping somebody out there in internetland will be able to assist a fellow gamer.

The drive I need is for a Model 2 Saturn with a 32-pin IC chip and a 21-pin ribbon cable. A version .0014 board. JVC assembly. My failed drive is from a VA6 motherboard revision. I can use a drive from VA6-VA9. The machine in question is NTSC but to my understanding the drives are not region locked so PAL or JPN will work as well.

I do not need a ribbon cable or anything else, I just need a working drive!

If you have one you can part with PLEASE PM me!! My Saturn would greatly appreciate it. I should mention I am willing to pay for the part, I am not looking for handouts.

Thanks in advance!!
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Re: Looking for a working Sega Saturn drive assembly!! HELP

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Is it spinning the disc at all?

If yes, then calibrate the laser.

If not then attempt to calibrate the laser.

If the drive again refuses to spin the disc or read it in any way, replace the laser.

Replacements are cheap, and guides to do so can be found online:

$24 and some change, with free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPTIMA-6S-JVC-O ... 53e85a632a
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Saskatoonguy
8-bit

Post by Saskatoonguy »

No. The issue does not lie within laser, the issue lies somewhere within the drive assembly. I have tested with two working lasers. I recently got a replacement drive from a fellow and it too failed to actually boot games. My working drive remedies the issue so I know that is all I need to source.

If you want to see more detailed diagnostic info here is my thread. http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=41326 . I have yet to hear about isolating the problem any further than down to the drive but I am open to input. At this point though I am quite certain all I can do is replace the part.

Thanks for the help though.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Ah, in that case I may be able to help you, check your PM's!
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Saskatoonguy
8-bit

Post by Saskatoonguy »

I just wanted to let people know I found a working drive from another Racketboy member, my Saturn has been repaired.

Thank you all for looking (And thanks to Mod man for helping me)
Saskatoonguy
8-bit

Post by Saskatoonguy »

I am in need of the exact same drive again. Hoping somebody might have one out there.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I had the same issue 2 years ago. I just waited for one to show up on ebay... I still have alerts set - I'll let you know if I get an alert.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

SpaceBooger wrote:I had the same issue 2 years ago. I just waited for one to show up on ebay... I still have alerts set - I'll let you know if I get an alert.

Is this something that people should buy an extra of when they're free for some reason? My Saturn is fine now, but will I be waiting years for a drive *when* it goes?
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Glad I have an extra saturn, guess I don't play mine enough to wear out the drive lol. I remember searching for sega cd drives a few back when I thought mine went out, and they were readily available. Guess not for the saturn.
marurun

Post by marurun »

There will come a time the spares are all toast, too. We need post-original-hardware solutions.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.