Loud Wii drive - Any one else? * SOLVED *

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Ziggy

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

Post by Ziggy »

:lol: Either that or I'm gonna hang the Wii out a closed window by the wires when I play it!
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

In that video you posted in the 1st post - my friend's was never that loud. But after the video finished, it has a fix it video. Did you check that out yet??
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I've seen a few different fix it videos, as well as a bunch of threads of how to fix it. There's dozens of different ways, it seems what works for one guy doesn't work for the other guy. You just have to open it up and play around with stuff until you figure out how to get it quiet.
Incognito D
128-bit

Post by Incognito D »

Ziggy587 wrote:Well mine loads everything just fine, never had a problem like that. But yeah, the noise is maddening! I'm either gonna find the time to open it up and play with it, or send it in. I honestly can't take it anymore. It's really, really annoying.

I would just send it in - because from my own experience, fiddling did absolutely nothing to help. However, it's obviously your entitlement to fiddle with it first.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I was playing DKC Returns for a while, like and hour or two. Just now, I completed a level and return to the map. For whatever reason, when it loaded the map, the Wii got quieter. Like half the loudness that it usually is. I have no idea why. It might have done this before and I never noticed, but this is the first time as far as I know. I almost don't wanna turn it off, I'm afraid next time I turn it back on it'll be as loud as usual.

Incognito D wrote:I would just send it in - because from my own experience, fiddling did absolutely nothing to help. However, it's obviously your entitlement to fiddle with it first.

I'm definitely gonna fiddle with it first. I'm just that kind of person anyway. Why pay for something that I could do myself? That and the fact that I don't wanna be without my Wii right now. I'm kicking ass and taking names in DKC Returns and GoldenEye.

Of course, I'd rather not even have to go that far. I just want my Wii to be quiet again! I was gonna take it apart tonight, and was attempting to, when I realized that I really do need actual triwing screwdrivers. I was able to get them before using a modified flathead, but these triwings in the Wii are really tight. So I ordered the screwdriver off eBay, 2 for $3 shipped. And they're shipping from right in my area, so I'll get them in 1 business day.

edit: Just reset my Wii and it's back to it's normal loudness.
Last edited by Ziggy on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

I am the Bacman
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Ziggy587 wrote:But honestly, even if my fiddling can't fix it, I might consider modding it so I can play games off a hard drive before I pay to send it in. I've heard different amounts from different sources, but it's something like $50-70. I'd rather spend that money on a chip and new external hard drive, and then I'll have other options for the same amount of money. At least, that's how I look at it.

Softmodding is the way to go for the Wii. It's pretty easy if you take the time to carefully do your research. There's no reason to buy a chip.
VGMStudios
16-bit

Post by VGMStudios »

gtmtnbiker wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:But honestly, even if my fiddling can't fix it, I might consider modding it so I can play games off a hard drive before I pay to send it in. I've heard different amounts from different sources, but it's something like $50-70. I'd rather spend that money on a chip and new external hard drive, and then I'll have other options for the same amount of money. At least, that's how I look at it.

Softmodding is the way to go for the Wii. It's pretty easy if you take the time to carefully do your research. There's no reason to buy a chip.

what he said. and if you need help ask away.

VGM out...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Bah. At the end of the day, they both allow you to do the same stuff. Most people will go with soft mods over a chip because they cannot solder and/or are not good and taking electronics apart and whatnot. I'm the opposite. I'd rather install a chip than have to familiarize myself with doing the soft mod. Sorry if that sounds naive to you, but I'd rather go with what I know.

That and the fact that I generally trust a hard mods over a soft mods. I don't wanna go too far off topic here, so let's just leave it at this: Hard mods can be, and usually are, more stable and future proof than soft mods.

Though I'm not closed minded, if the soft mod method has some great advantages over a chip then I would definitely want to know. However, "it's free and you don't have to take apart your Wii" isn't an advantage that I care about. But that's just me. I'm a hardware guy, not a software guy.

Though at this point I'm not really considering modding my Wii, at least not for the mean time. It was just a thought for a worst case scenario. And sorry if I come off condescending or angry or something with this post, I'm not. And I always appreciate the input. :D

But back to my loud ass Wii... My triwings shipped today so I'm expecting them in the mail tomorrow or the day after (it's just a few zip codes away). Not sure if I'll feel like taking my Wii apart after work tomorrow or the next day, but I'm definitely anxious to get it quiet again.

Thanks. I've actually seen that one before. Kinda skipped through it. It seems that a lot of people have different ways and methods for getting it quiet again. What I gather from it is, there's no one way to fix it. What will work on some wont work on others. You just gotta play with it and find out what works for you. Though all the methods of quieting it, like the video you linked, will be very helpful. I'll know what to play with instead of just going in blind.
RareCollector5
8-bit

Post by RareCollector5 »

I got the answer for you. All you need to do is realign this small white piece of plastic in the metal thing that hold's it in place on the dvd drive. You have to fiddle with it for awhile until its really quiet and then close up the wii and you'll be fine. Unfortunately this happens to me because I like using backups of my games. The burned discs (official probably too if you leave them in there for a long time, I imagine) make it go out of alignment but putting the wii in the horizontal position makes it not happen as often.

I don't know if this goes for all wiis but it definitely goes for mine and this is how I fix it.