Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: PS2 almost dead issues?

by Anapan Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:44 am

Jagosaurus wrote:
Anapan wrote:I bought a MC2SIO. The increased read speed off the memory card slot over the USB port's speed makes more games play well.

Niceeee. How's the spead compared to the USB 1.0 ports? I always wished someone found a way to use that Firewire port on phats ...

A topic discussing it here. Looks like in hardware tests the bandwidth is almost double.

The software is still a work in progress. I haven't actually messed with it yet, but from I've read, there are constant improvements with compatibility, and most games play fine now.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:29 pm

Just a sad update: no dice on cleaning the laser. Brand new DVDs still skipped and stuttered a bunch. Think it's a goner.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:14 am

Maan, that sucks. Well, I'll mail you a working one. Just PM me your address. Turns out I have a bunch. Let me know if you prefer a Phat or slim. I know that feel when your laser dies. It sucks.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:24 pm

Anapan wrote:Maan, that sucks. Well, I'll mail you a working one. Just PM me your address. Turns out I have a bunch. Let me know if you prefer a Phat or slim. I know that feel when your laser dies. It sucks.

I appreciate it, but I don't have the technical know-how. Besides, it'll be a pain to ship from Canada. I'm going to try to think of some other options, including maybe upgrading to a phat.

It definitely sucks, though. This bad boy has been with me for decades. I think I ended up getting it this one in 2005 or 2006?
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:18 am

I meant that I'll give you a used, but fully working Playstation 2 with a good laser assembly. I'll mail it to you for free - shipping on me as well. I have excess Playstation 2 units and want you to have one of mine. I'll make you a Phat with a small hard-drive. I don't think they have value anymore, tho I never looked to buy one - friends and acquaintances just give them to me. Same with original Xbox consoles - I have so little space, and have trouble turning down free working consoles. They stack nicely, but still, they take space, and for various reasons I'm not really into selling things

If you want me to fix that one you have for nostalgia, I'll fix it in time for the next annual charity auction as a donation from you, and you could win it back - I probably have a compatible laser stashed in the back of the parts cupboard. That'd be kinda a swap, and you'd only pay shipping to me and the price other bidders are willing to bid competitively.

Still, I'm perfectly happy to just send you a working one with no other interaction except you receive a PS2 if you PM me your address as stated in the previous post.

This is only because you've been a member for so long, and I'm happy to do the same for any member with that tenure that lacks a working Playstation 2 or Original Xbox, and only because I have too many.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:24 am

Anapan wrote:If you want me to fix that one you have for nostalgia, I'll fix it in time for the next annual charity auction as a donation from you, and you could win it back - I probably have a compatible laser stashed in the back of the parts cupboard. That'd be kinda a swap, and you'd only pay shipping to me and the price other bidders are willing to bid competitively.

If you have a replacement laser assembly in working condition, if it worked out better for shipping cost, you could ship it to me and I would also be willing to do the work for the charity auction. o.pwuaioc lives much closer to me, so shipping his PS2 slim back and forth would be much cheaper than to Canada and back. I'm not sure if that would actually work out better with shipping cost, PS2 slims are super light, so it's just a thought.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:03 pm

You guys are way too kind, and I'm so very appreciative of all the offers, but I'd definitely take care of the shipping! Let me figure out the best course of action and we'll be in touch shortly!
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:13 am

Haven't watched it yet, but Tito just posted a video about using a large SATA drive inside a Phat PS2 with drag and drop iso support. I have so many excess 4TB drives, it'd be a good idea to adopt them in my PS2 consoles.
edit: just watched a bit of it and ordered some of the network adapter sata mod board. We're all set.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:11 pm

My new PATA to SATA boards just arrived. I'll be upgrading some consoles shortly to the new iso-loading hotness.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:02 pm

So do 4TB drives work with the PS2?
I heard the hard limit was 2TB. Or maybe it just limits the partition size to that?
...just another lost soul...
Return to Technical Help