Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Konacha
32-bit

Sega CDX low sound with HDMI?

by Konacha Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:11 pm

So I recently got a Sega CDX to replace my Sega Genesis 2 w/ Sega CD. I brought it due to the size being so much smaller than my current Sega CD set up. Anyway, I use the Hyperkin HDMI cord to get RGB with my system. I know it isn't the ideal way but it works enough for me. So I recently hooked up everything and noticed the Sega CDX is really quiet. Like I have to turn the volume up on my TV really high to hear anything. If I plug the Sega CDX with composite cables I have no issues, it only happens with the HDMI cord. I've also tested the Hyperkin cord with my normal Sega Genesis 2 w/ Sega CD and I have no issues. So I'm at a lost if it is the Sega CDX is the issue or if it is the cable itself.
marurun

Re: Sega CDX low sound with HDMI?

by marurun Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:44 pm

It could be a capacitor issue. Open it up and check out the motherboard of the CDX. Make sure nothing is leaking. Given the age of the CDX I would suspect it first.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Konacha
32-bit

Re: Sega CDX low sound with HDMI?

by Konacha Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:00 pm

Well, I did open it and check it and I didn't see any noticeable issues and the person who owned it before said he also didn't see any issues with it. Of course, I might have missed something as I don't know much about capacitors. Also, it works perfectly fine in the headphone port and it also works fine on my S-video cables. Just the HDMI cables with RGB.

Edit: It is the capacitors. I double checked it and that is the issue.
Return to Technical Help