Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by marurun Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:26 pm

Are you in some way equating Hunger Games and Twilight?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:56 pm

Well, they both take a tried and true formula done better by superior authors and dumb them down for the YA market, which devalued itself by consuming a half-assed story about a basic brunette in a love triangle and dealing with nefarious powers that be.

I think Adam Ellis explains it better:

marurun

by marurun Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:43 am

I haven’t read Twilight, but I don’t understand the main character to be good at combat… and Hunger Games is generally critically well-regarded as YA.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:00 am

Robert Pattinson did say that the Twilight book was most likely the author just putting her fantasy on paper lol
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:36 am

marurun wrote:I haven’t read Twilight, but I don’t understand the main character to be good at combat… and Hunger Games is generally critically well-regarded as YA.

Twilight's not really Dystopian, but IIRC once Bella gets turned into a vampire she is super strong and stuff, because apparently all new vampires are unusually strong at first.

PretentiousHipster wrote:Robert Pattinson did say that the Twilight book was most likely the author just putting her fantasy on paper lol

Isn't that true for a lot of popular literature?

I still don't understand why the Twilight books get singled out. Yes, they're dumb, but they aren't any dumber than the average Jack Reacher novel. One's just a teenage girl wish fulfillment romance fantasy and the other is a middle-aged man wish fulfillment power fantasy.

To be clear, I still enjoy the Jack Reacher books.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:48 am

Yea, plenty of books are like that. I guess cause Twilight is seen as a tween sort of thing. Judging from Pattinson it seems to gain some traction because his character is super creepy.
marurun

by marurun Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:58 am

I'm more bothered by equating Twilight and Hunger Games, since the latter is pretty well-regarded as a YA series and the former is considered problematic in some ways re: social values (not going into detail as that's not appropriate for this forum) and not especially well-written or plotted.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:12 pm

FYI I'm not ragging on all YA fiction, but I think that stuff like Twilight and The Hunger Games have great concepts that are ultimately squandered and/or are simply done better in other works.

After all, Battle Royale totally dealt with the notion of teenagers dealing with a dystopian future better than The Hunger Games.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:38 pm

REPO Man wrote:After all, Battle Royale totally dealt with the notion of teenagers dealing with a dystopian future better than The Hunger Games.

I disagree. Battle Royale is a very fun movie, but The Hunger Games addresses issues relating to class in an extractive society. It also notes, at least later in the series, how extractive societies tend to perpetuate themselves, even after an individual or group has been freed from oppression. Battle Royale exists in a dystopian alternate society, certainly, but unlike The Hunger Games, it doesn’t use its setting to address any actual issues.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:15 pm

I haven't seen Hunger Games, but yea Battle Royale was just edgelord stuff that focused on kids killing each other.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever