Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Limewater Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:48 pm

Raging Justice wrote:People can be so strange. I've even seen people say it's an American propaganda piece to get people to enlist, and I'm thinking, "Dude. It's just a fun movie where you get to see jet fighters do cool stuff on a big screen"

This isn't far-fetched. For both the original movie and Maverick, the U.S. Navy (and maybe the Air Force) set up recruitment booths right outside the theaters during showings.

I mean, military recruitment was clearly not the films' only purpose, but they have also clearly been used as recruitment tools.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:15 pm

`i do not imagine the military or gov. is paying money to use it as a political propaganda , why would a private studio do so? Unless military and gov. actually do fund these movies.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:55 pm

RCBH928 wrote:`i do not imagine the military or gov. is paying money to use it as a political propaganda , why would a private studio do so? Unless military and gov. actually do fund these movies.

It was mentioned in my previous post. The military is involved in the films in exchange for the films being able to use the equipment and/or filming locations.

What they usually do is remove anything that speaks ill of the military industrial complex. I can gladly provide evidence for you if needed. As a bonus it is straight from the military themselves.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:55 pm

I believe you , but I imagined something closer to the studios paying the military for using the equipment than giving them creative control
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:32 pm

When the military is providing assistance to a filmmaker (e.g. access to F-18s and pilots) they get right of refusal on anything they consider objectionable. Effectively they act like a TV network Standards & Practices division; they aren't dictating story beats, but they can reject any scene they don't like.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:42 am

The long awaited Beavis and Butthead movie, Beavis and Butthead Do the Universe hit Paramount+ recently and I'm glad I watched it, though I don't see a rewatch in the immediate future.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:04 pm

Just finished "Better Nate Than Ever", a Disney+ original film adaptation of the novel of the same name about a young Broadway hopeful and his best friends as they sneak off to audition for a Broadway musical based on Lilo and Stitch. I found the film funny and heartwarming, and as someone who dreams of finding his destiny in NYC I naturally identify with the titular Nate.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:29 pm

Saw the new Candyman film last night.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:49 pm

Recently watched the new South Park special, which is the second part of the Streaming Wars event. Funny shit.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:39 am

Watched Heathers last night. Haven't seen it in ages and mostly wanted to rewatch it because I've been listening to the World Premiere Cast Recording of the musical based on the movie. Definitely more of a stop-and-think comedy than a bust-out-laughing comedy, with much of the humor clearly coming from the over-the-top way characters look, act and speak while being completely serious.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever