What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by REPO Man »

DYK that before this Penn Badgley was in the straight-to-DVD slasher Drive Thru, starring his then-future Gossip Girl costar Leighton Meester? If you're a slasher stan like me, you'd love it.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Raging Justice wrote:Ghostbusters Afterlife

The new Ghostbusters is...okay, I guess. I actually only watched about 75% of the movie. I stopped watching during what seemed to be the final confrontation as I was just bored. You know, I think a big part of the charm of the old Ghostbusters movies was the original cast. We keep getting new ones now with a new cast of characters and I just...don't care about any of them. Afterlife gives us a bunch of lame kids, a boring single mom, and a wacky school substitute teacher, none of whom are particularly likable or interesting. Maybe the fact that the movie focuses so much on the kids is another reason I wasn't into it. This feels like Ghostbusters for 10 year olds. Ghostbusters Afterlife didn't do much for me, and Ghostbusters 2016 was just pure garbage. The best new Ghostbusters movie to come out in recent years was not actually a movie, it was this:

I fell asleep twice an hour in lol. It's not as bad as all that. cute describes it good. the reasons you list are reasons I lost interest in cobra kai. I grew up with the adults and their story lines interest me most. I don't give a dam about those kids and their cult like karate club.
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

Captain Ron!! It was even funnier than I remember lol.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Used to watch that movie all the time as a kid.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Brigsby Bear (2017)

This movie was better and funnier than I expected. I thought it was great and I highly recommend it. I have $5 that says it makes REPO Man cry.

I don't want to write too much about it because I feel like it's probably better the less you know about it going in. Unfortunately for me, I had read the entire synopsis on Wikipedia. Kyle Mooney's character lives in an underground bunker and is obsessed with a television program called "Brigsby Bear." It was still excellent, but I think it would have been better if I hadn't known what to expect. It also features the term "rectoskeletons."

It was co-written by and stars Kyle Mooney. The writing is great, and the attention to detail is fantastic. The movie was pretty much made by Good Neighbor and produced by The Lonely Island and Lord & Miller.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Speaking of comedies and yours truly, I rewatched Good Boys last night. I still say this is better than Superbad, especially the scene at the frat house.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

stickem wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:Ghostbusters Afterlife

The new Ghostbusters is...okay, I guess. I actually only watched about 75% of the movie. I stopped watching during what seemed to be the final confrontation as I was just bored. You know, I think a big part of the charm of the old Ghostbusters movies was the original cast. We keep getting new ones now with a new cast of characters and I just...don't care about any of them. Afterlife gives us a bunch of lame kids, a boring single mom, and a wacky school substitute teacher, none of whom are particularly likable or interesting. Maybe the fact that the movie focuses so much on the kids is another reason I wasn't into it. This feels like Ghostbusters for 10 year olds. Ghostbusters Afterlife didn't do much for me, and Ghostbusters 2016 was just pure garbage. The best new Ghostbusters movie to come out in recent years was not actually a movie, it was this:

I fell asleep twice an hour in lol. It's not as bad as all that. cute describes it good. the reasons you list are reasons I lost interest in cobra kai. I grew up with the adults and their story lines interest me most. I don't give a dam about those kids and their cult like karate club.

Yeah, but Cobra Kai begins with Johhny Lawrence, and before the end credits you see LaRusso. The show sets down its foundation with those two characters and then gradually introduces us to all of these kids. Miguel immediately emerges as a fan favorite in episode 1 because they establish a relationship between him and Johhny. LaRusso and Lawrence are the bedrock of this series, even though it features a large cast of kids, and many would argue that Johhny Lawrence is the protagonist of Cobra Kai. There's no show without him and LaRusso and you can bet that if Pat Morita was alive he'd have gotten tons of screen time because the show mentions him a lot and frequently shows him in flashbacks to the movies

Ghostbusters Afterlife just focuses on these bland and boring new characters for like 75% of the movie, and then just kind of shoehorns in the original Ghostbusters right at the end of the movie. Too little, too late. The movie tries its damnest to make us like this new kid who is Egon's granddaughter, but it's like we're just supposed to like her...because she's Egon's grandaughter. She has zero charm and charisma and has a very bland character arc (if you can even call it that since it features zero growth for her). It's actually kind of hilarious how many times the movie does close ups of her face looking all serious or doing dramatic shots of her like it's screaming at the audience, "Isn't she fucking cool guys?"

No, she's not. The original Ghostbusters were cool

Afterlife tries to win over its audience with constant nostalgic references to the previous movies, but the most important nostalgic piece...the Ghostbusters themselves, aren't there for the majority of the movie.

I could also complain about its rather hit and miss humor, like certain Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, but humor is kind of subjective. A lot of modern movies just try too hard to be funny ALL THE TIME.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Armour of God - Uncut theatrical version from Hong Kong Rescue

So this is like the third Jackie Chan movie I've seen in recent months (the other two being Police Story and Police Story 2), and I think this is my favorite so far. The movie is described as Chan's take on Indiana Jones and I guess it's a fairly good description

It's got some fairly charming characters, including the gorgeous Lola Forner who I couldn't take my eyes off of every time she was on screen. She was a beautiful woman with great screen presence and I enjoyed her character a lot. It has a fairly simple plot, which is good. I feel like Police Story 2 had a bit too much going on and a few too many characters. This movie keeps things simple with a small cast and a simple plot. The humor is fairly good, I'd even say great in some parts, with Jackie being his usually charming self and he has pretty good onscreen chemistry with his male co-star. They are sort of like a buddy cop movie duo. There's nothing quite as cringe in the comedy department as the fart joke scene in Police Story 2, which had me rolling my eyes.

Now, as multi-talented as Jackie Chan is, you typically come to his movies for the action and oh boy Armour of God has some of my favorite sequences involving him. The movie starts with an awesome and also hilarious action sequence involving Jackie stealing an artifact as he's something of a thief character in this movie, but stealing the kind of stuff that Lara Croft or Indiana Jones would go after. There's a fucking brilliant chase sequence that comes later that took me back to the fun I had watching another awesome Chase Sequence in the recent movie Nobody featuring Bob Odenkirk. There's also a hilarious battle with four enemies near the end of the movie that I won't soon forget. Just truly memorable stuff

I really enjoyed this. Good cast, good comedy, easy to follow story, some of my favorite action scenes that I've seen in a movie and of course some insane stunts as it wouldn't be a Jackie Chan movie otherwise. In fact, I've read that one nearly killed him and even did some permanent damage to him. Ironically it was a fairly simple stunt too. There are also 1 or 2 moments in the movie too that just felt so wonderfully 80s. As I go through Jackie Chan's movie catalog I don't really know what movies I'll end up liking the most, but I could see this one being a top 3 or top 5 contender. Oh, and I have to point out too how damn catchy the theme songs in some of these old Jackie Chan movies are. Both Flight of the Dragon and Lorelei, depending on which version of the movie you're watching, are great. Watching these old movies you even hear Jackie singing some stuff and I'm surprised how good he sounds, but he is known as a man of many talents due his training and upbringing. Anyway, this movie gets a big thumbs up from me

SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Raging Justice wrote:Armour of God - Uncut theatrical version from Hong Kong Rescue

I am a huge Jackie Chan fan, seen all of his movies except for a couple of American Releases (like the Karate Kid remake). The sequel to this movie is easily my favorite Jackie Chan movie ever. I am basing this on the US release "Operation Condor" and highly recommend that flick.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Limewater wrote:Brigsby Bear (2017)

This movie was better and funnier than I expected. I thought it was great and I highly recommend it. I have $5 that says it makes REPO Man cry.

I don't want to write too much about it because I feel like it's probably better the less you know about it going in. Unfortunately for me, I had read the entire synopsis on Wikipedia. Kyle Mooney's character lives in an underground bunker and is obsessed with a television program called "Brigsby Bear." It was still excellent, but I think it would have been better if I hadn't known what to expect. It also features the term "rectoskeletons."

It was co-written by and stars Kyle Mooney. The writing is great, and the attention to detail is fantastic. The movie was pretty much made by Good Neighbor and produced by The Lonely Island and Lord & Miller.

Heck yeah, Brigsby Bear is great! IMO one of the best films about the experience of being a nerd while not just being a bunch of direct references to other things. It's a hard movie to convince people that it's worth watching, but it feels like it deserves a cult following.