What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Ziggy »

FWIW, when I do remember to post in this thread it's usually "normal" movies. I don't think I've watched a movie that could be considered obscure in quite a while.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

I did get to go see Godzilla vs Kong this week since the local theater opened back up. I really enjoyed it. I think I enjoyed the fights from the last film a lot more, but the story in this one flowed a bit better.

However...
I hated the design for the 3rd "monster". I thought that was awful. I dragged mom with me to go see it, and at the end she said "that was fun...but what was with Lego Godzilla?" So now that name is permanently etched in my head. Thanks mom :lol:
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Now that that's out of the way....

Inseminoid

A group of scientists on a scientific dig of a supposedly uninhabited planet, find themselves under attack when one of their crewmates becomes mentally unstable, physically altered and impregnated by alien forces, forcing the crew to fight off the greatest foe of all: A crazed, super strong and highly hormonal pregnant woman.

Oh look! Cheesy exploitative, b-movie goodness! Exactly what stickem didn't want. Sorry, cheif :lol:

It looks surprisingly good for the type of film it is, and the story is pretty typical exploitative sci-fi faire. Unfortunately it’s also filled with very dumb characters, and a lot of handwaving is used to explain away a lot of things they were too lazy to expand on. But it was pretty entertaining watching everyone run around, absolutely terrified, of a screeching pregnant woman. I wouldn't be surprised if Judy Geeson might have lost her voice with all the screaming she had to do.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Ack wrote:Guys, guys, I watched a rock and roll musical from the 1980s set in an alternate 1950s!

Streets of Fire

This movie is totally ridiculous. There are explosions, zoot suits, neon, more explosions, rock music, and Bill Paxton. I loved it. Someone once called it the "Greatest '80s movie you never saw" and now that I've seen it, I'm sharing it with you.

A friend of mine is the biggest Walter Hill fan in the world, and he's shown me this twice. It's solid, but I think I'm good with two viewings.

In related movie news, said friend is a horror novelist and he recently got word that an adaptation of his book Dark Harvest is going to shoot in Canada this summer. They were just a couple months away from beginning production last year when COVID hit. After that it looked like the whole deal might dry up, so I'm really happy for him.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts- ... 69432.html
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Jason Statham plays a newly hired security guard for armored trucks. He seems a little over qualified for the job, has some sort of motive, and you wonder what his intentions are for half the film. It's an interesting heist film that starts in the current time, flashes back to setup the first 1/3 of the movie, then catches back up to current times for the last 1/3. It gets a little dark and not as much action as most of his films, more of a crime thriller. I'll be watching it again.
Ack

Post by Ack »

stickem wrote:Image

Jason Statham plays a newly hired security guard for armored trucks. He seems a little over qualified for the job, has some sort of motive, and you wonder what his intentions are for half the film. It's an interesting heist film that starts in the current time, flashes back to setup the first 1/3 of the movie, then catches back up to current times for the last 1/3. It gets a little dark and not as much action as most of his films, more of a crime thriller. I'll be watching it again.

Whoa, that's nothing like it was being advertised. I thought it was going to be a revenge film with him shooting everyone.

That said, I'll still be watching it.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Ack wrote:
stickem wrote:Image

Whoa, that's nothing like it was being advertised. I thought it was going to be a revenge film with him shooting everyone.

That said, I'll still be watching it.

Without spoiling much, revenge is there, but the mystery/setup is the fun part. It's not a start to finish shootout.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Rewatched the classic Star Wars trilogy. THX VHS editions. My kids loved them. It's funny, they already knew the names of half the characters just through cultural osmosis.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I just saw A Quiet Place II. If you liked the first one, you will like this one too.

If I am being honest, I was just happy to be back in a theater. First time I've been back since seeing Sonic the Hedgehog with the kids early last year.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

So I watched Hardcore Henry recently. I didn't intend to watch Hardcore Henry. I put the movie on out of curiosity as I vaguely remember hearing a bit about this movie when it came out being basically a movie shot like a video game. I only planned on watching a few minutes of it. But man, this movie hooks you in and doesn't let go. I couldn't stop watching it because...well, it never gets boring. It's a nonstop thrill ride from beginning to end. Also, I found the movie surprisingly funny too.

The way the movie handles the character of Jimmy I thought was a nice wink to gamers. I won't say more for spoiler reasons. Reminded me a bit of
Edge of Tomorrow

So here's the funny thing. I'm not big on FPS games. I've played a few here and there and occasionally had a good time, but it's not a genre I'm usually big into, same goes for third person shooters. The whole time I was watching this movie I kept thinking, "If I could actually find an FPS game with the kind of perfectly choreographed, awesome, over the top, action as this movie...I think I would actually LOVE first person shooters".

That's maybe the best compliment I can give the film