Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by RCBH928 Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:05 am

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Is it considered a movie genre when the whole movie is about a journey to some place? I noticed a repition , I think National Lampoon Christmas Vacation is similar and Goofy Movie. I am sure there are many others.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:38 am

Road trip movie?

Last night before bed I watched Matilda: The Musical and thought it was incredibly charming.
Ack

by Ack Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:50 pm

RCBH928 wrote:Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Is it considered a movie genre when the whole movie is about a journey to some place? I noticed a repition , I think National Lampoon Christmas Vacation is similar and Goofy Movie. I am sure there are many others.

Yes, we call them Road Movies. It's not an official genre in the way that comedy or horror is, and it describes a very wide array of films, but that's the general idea.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:58 am

Stark wrote:Anyone see Bullet Train? I liked it. :)

On my to do list, I have heard very good things.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:38 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The next movie for, I think, should be Joy & Hope. It’s easily the best-worst Christmas movie I watched this year.

Definitely gonna watch this soon :) Some more highlights

Aftersun - The best film of the year according to Sight and Sound, and although not my #1 it definitely deserves a spot high up. One of the more realistic slice of life kind of films that I totally eat up, with very realistic and fantastic performances by both leads. It becomes quite emotionally heavy, showing how powerful implication can be.

Clockwatchers - Expected some lighthearted, probably slapstick-like all-girls comedy, but man oh man didn't expect that. Basically, expect Office Space, but honestly something that's a lot better and harder hitting, albeit less funny.

The Intruder - I first watched this back in my early 20s. I'd say ignore this if you aren't political. I thought it was overblown when I first saw it, but now that I'm more aware I realized this stuff is happening even today. It's intense to the point that I'd call it a horror... I mean, Roger Corman directed it. William Shatner was absolutely terrifying in this.

The Exigency - The first 5/5 I've given in AGES. An outsider blockbuster would be the best way to explain it. One dude spending 13 years to do this passion project. The animation is absolutely terrible, but it takes advantage of it, by reaching almost parody level of space blockbusters. The absurdist humour was absolutely perfect for me. It somehow was "legit" better than most blockbuster as well, as it subverted its tropes and had amazing action sequences. You can see the trailer here, and if you're curious, that youtube channel (it's the creator of the film) uploaded the entire film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wR-gcV_rSU
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:37 pm

Over a year ago, I purchased a trio of DVD's for the Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly Collection.

The movies included: On The Town, Take Me Out To The Ball Game and Anchors Aweigh.

I finally finished watching all of them this afternoon.

I bought the Collection for Take Me Out To The Ball Game and that was my favorite one. That one was the funniest and I believe had the most memorable songs. Afterwards, I liked On The Town. When the four or six of them got together to sing together, that had some magic. There was a fun and innocence about that one. I liked Anchors Aweigh, but the kid was a bit annoying. I didn't think the songs were as memorable either. It was neat to watch Gene Kelly dance with Jerry the Mouse, but that was probably the high point.

It's always funny to me to see Frank Sinatra portrayed as this shy and small runt of a guy. I know him more for his later years, so it feels a little weird seeing that.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:28 am

Saw two movies I enjoyed recently, the first one was Deleter, which is a horror movie I saw while traveling, at the Metro Manila Film Festival. The movie's main character Lyra works for a company that is tasked to remove graphic content from social media. However, the job is negatively affecting Lyra and her coworkers. One of her coworkers ends up going missing, and Lyra becomes involved in the investigation to help figure out what happened. Overall, I thought this was a really entertaining film for horror fans. For me, it was also cool to attend a screening at an international film festival and I was very grateful there were was English subtitles. Hopefully this title will hit streaming services!

The other movie I saw which I streamed on Netflix is Calm With Horses (renamed The Shadow of Violence for American audiences). The movie is about a man nicknamed Arm, who is a former boxer and is now currently working as an enforcer for a crime family in rural Ireland, while trying to provide for his autistic son. I'm a fan of crime and action films and hadn't seen one in a while, but this movie definitely scratches that itch. The performance of Cosmo Jarvis as Arm steals the show IMO, but Barry Keoghan does a great job of playing a shady figure with a bad temperament. This was a memorable crime flick, and I suggest anyone interested check it out soon! As it's scheduled to be removed from Netflix on January 20th.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:20 am

Wrapped up Old Guard on Netflix yesterday. I really enjoyed it. The screenwriter is Greg Rucka who is a novelist and comics author and I've enjoyed everything of his I've read. Old Guard is also a comics series and I haven't read that, but the movie feels very much like a hybrid of Rucka's Queen and Country and Lazarus. It's a present day action thriller that plays with some of the same ideas the Highlander did in the TV series decades ago, but with a bit of a modern day spin. I don't want to say too much about it for those who don't appreciate the references, but if you like a thoughtful thriller with some good action that is very well-grounded except maybe one or two fantastical elements, you'll really like this. Ends with quite a hook for a sequel, I'll say that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:10 am

Just rewatched Jason X, though to be honest I wasn't really paying attention.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:59 pm

Found à short film from 1967 on HBO Max called The Big Shave, an early work from the now-renown Martin Scorsese. The description said the man in the short would "[bleed]... a lot" but even a splatterpunk enthusiast like yours truly couldn't stomach it.

Oh, shit. Was this the one mentioned in that Christmas episode of American Dad?
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever