What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Note
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Note »

Looks like a fun movie, catnip. I'll have to check it out!
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

REPO Man wrote:
Limewater wrote:If I was in NYC, I would eat at the world's largest Olive Garden.

All the excellent restaurants serving authentic Italian cuisine and you'd eat like a basic bitch?

If I lived in NYC and my family came to visit, I'd cut out my tongue before I suggested a chain restaurant.

And I bet all the NYC Racketeers would agree with me.

We call ourselves Racketeers, right?

Given everything you have posted about yourself, I am really surprised that you didn't pick up on an Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt reference.

If you haven't watched it, I would highly recommend it to you, specifically. It has everything you love.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I've watched the show up to the final season premiere but that was AGES ago.

Speaking of NYC single-camera comedies, anyone wish we got another season of Difficult People?
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

So after watching it again, I find myself liking the Super Mario Bros movie less. I don't know. When you get past the great visuals, the nostalgia from the endless references, and some cool action set pieces, you realize that it has little in the way of any kind of character arc or growth for anyone. The plot is barely there, and the pacing is off. The movie just seems to rush through everything. They blew through what could have been three or four movies of content. Also, as I mentioned in my previous post about the movie, Peach sucks. She drags the movie down a lot. I have noticed now that some time has passed more people are actually criticizing the movie now. I don't think it will stand the test of time well and honestly, the two Sonic movies are better, and I say that as someone who has watched them more than once.

On another note, I watched Guardians of the Galaxy 3...twice. First time by myself, and second time with a friend. It's an excellent send off for the Guardians trilogy and the best Marvel movie there's been in a while. Probably the best one since the last Spider-Man movie. And while it's weird to compare the two movies, it has one action sequence that's as awesome as any of the amazing ones in John Wick 4. I've always enjoyed the Guardians movies the most out of all of the MCU films and I still feel that way. They stand on their own pretty well too, not requiring people to watch all the other MCU films, although some knowledge of Infinity War and End Game helps with regards to one particular character, but the movie does try to explain what happened to that character for the 5 people who didn't see those two movies.

Anyway, it's a Guardians of the Galaxy movie from James Gunn. They are always a safe bet...and I'll even go on a limb and say that this movie is way better than that Suicide Squad movie he did, which I didn't think was amazing
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I think these pop nerd culture movies all suck. Marvel, Super Mario, Sonic, etc. I tried watching the new D&D movie. I made it about 15 minutes before turning it off. Probably the worst 15 minutes of a movie I've seen in years (though, to be fair, I don't watch a lot of new movies.) It was just, from the very first scene, the absolute most mind-numbingly insipid, boring, vapid, stupid excuse for filming something. And the plebeians online love it.

And I'm a fan of fantasy! Well, at least in theory.

I don't doubt that there are still some good movies being made, but the landscape lately has me completely tuned out of it. I think the last movie I've watched in theaters and enjoyed was Parasite. Maybe it's just Hollywood that's a bore?
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

For newer Hollywood films The Pope's Exorcist was a delight. It felt like the original Evil Dead to me with it being so weird in its tone.
Ack

Post by Ack »

In the case of the new Dungeons & Dragons movie, I'd say it's partly because previous D&D movies have been even worse, and partly because we've played with people who play D&D that way.

For something more recent, give The Banshees of Inisherin a shot. It is at times bizarre, heartfelt, wonderful, and agonizing.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Watched Valerian recently. It's not a bad film. The problem is it's not that great, either. It's pretty mediocre and I don't think what it accomplished justifies the insane budget. There are also some bizarre moments in the film that have me questioning why they were even included.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

marurun wrote:Watched Valerian recently. It's not a bad film. The problem is it's not that great, either. It's pretty mediocre and I don't think what it accomplished justifies the insane budget. There are also some bizarre moments in the film that have me questioning why they were even included.

It's a Luc Besson film. Something either on camera or behind the scenes gave him the chance to hit on young, beautiful women.

But yeah, it was kind of dull for such an expensive film.

Finally watched 6 Underground. Also pretty boring.

Also recently watched The Little Hours. I don't think I would have seen this one without Netflix DVD. Pretty fun and weird.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Watched this a few weeks ago with my daughter. They actually had a couple of slightly extended scenes compared to the VHS copy I rented from Blockbuster as a teenager. The deleted joke that I remember broke the fourth wall and was pretty lame and amateurish by modern standards, but would have been really unusual for the time.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

My laundry day viewing way Disney's The Little Mermaid. Still holds up.

Am I crazy or does Part of Uour World sound similar to Somewhere That's Green from Little Shop of Horrors? I mean both songs ARE Alan Menkin creations.