What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by marurun »

Just finished Shang Chi tonight. Pretty good film. I love every moment of screen time with Simu Liu and Nora Lum sharing the frame. They are my new favorite comedy action pair. I think it is now tied with Ragnarok for my favorite MCU film.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Move over Ray and the Doors. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story puts all the other biopics to shame.

OK, so Ray and the Doors still hold up well (and a few others, and we can argue about what is a biopic and what is just a good movie), but I knew I couldn't be the only person who didn't like Walk the Line and all the other overly formulaic biopics that followed in Ray's wake. Sure, the acting was good, but the dialogue was terrible, and if you just watched one, the next will appear too similar to enjoy. The Dewey Cox Story put it (not so succinctly) quite exactly why those movies aren't that good.

It's just a shame that people seem to have forgotten it (or never saw it? I only heard about it last week), since we're back with some generic biopics these past few years. Oh, and for being a parody movie, the songs are fantastic, and heart-strings will actually be pulled in the end. The only part I wasn't thrilled with was the Beatles scene, where I think they lingered just a bit too long and so it lost its edge. Still, that's a small part and the following scene, lampooning Brian Wilson, quickly made up for it.

Excellent movie.
marurun

Post by marurun »

How does that hold up next to This is Spinal Tap?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

marurun wrote:How does that hold up next to This is Spinal Tap?

It's different. Spinal Tap is a timeless classic (well, so far). Dewey Cox is more relevant (still today, but for how long?), and the outlandishness and heavy-handedness of the dialogue will probably date it in the future. You don't have to get all the references in Spinal Tap to enjoy it, whereas Dewey Cox requires that its audience have seen at least a couple of the biopics. That said, it cuts a little too close to Walk the Line, making it more timely than timeless.

It's also a quite acerbic movie, skewering the format, while Spinal Tap was a bit less mean-spirited. In part I think because it's a barrage of gags: joke after joke after joke, fully poking fun of biopics. I think the format deserved it, but it's definitely more in the vein of Don't Be a Menace to South Central than Spinal Tap.

Would I recommend it in 50 years? Only if the same biopic format is being put out. Though it's been out for 14 years now, and I think it holds up well today (and timely again, since we're seeing these films again with Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman).
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

If you like Adam Sandler movies you'll like Dewey Cox. Simple as that. John C Reily doing his talladega nights brand comedy. Which I love. It's dumb, it's stupid, it's funny. Nothing more.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

stickem wrote:If you like Adam Sandler movies you'll like Dewey Cox. Simple as that. John C Reily doing his talladega nights brand comedy. Which I love. It's dumb, it's stupid, it's funny. Nothing more.

I don't know, man. Pixels was pretty really, really terrible. I gave Adam Sandler the chance to surprise me, and he did not. I'm still sore over that one.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I'd recommend watching Beach Bum because it's a satire on the elite and the Adam Sandler tropes, including the "redemption arc" where he actually didn't learn anything. Nihilism disguised as an Adam Sandler film.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Limewater wrote:
stickem wrote:If you like Adam Sandler movies you'll like Dewey Cox. Simple as that. John C Reily doing his talladega nights brand comedy. Which I love. It's dumb, it's stupid, it's funny. Nothing more.

I don't know, man. Pixels was pretty really, really terrible. I gave Adam Sandler the chance to surprise me, and he did not. I'm still sore over that one.

I can watch that one as well lol. Not many Sandler movies I won't watch. He's my guilty pleasure!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

SpaceBooger wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:Armour of God - Uncut theatrical version from Hong Kong Rescue

I am a huge Jackie Chan fan, seen all of his movies except for a couple of American Releases (like the Karate Kid remake). The sequel to this movie is easily my favorite Jackie Chan movie ever. I am basing this on the US release "Operation Condor" and highly recommend that flick.

So I'm watching the 88 films release, which I read somewhere is the longest cut of the movie to date. I like to try and watch these old Asian movies the best way possible.

I'm like halfway through it (I put the movie on pause to type this) and I already like it more than the first movie. I just watched a sequence of scenes involving Jackie, two girls, a condom, two groups of thugs, a towel, some partial nudity, a key, room service, a gun with one bullet, a brief chase sequence, a greedy bellhop, and a machine gun, that may be one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. Sheer, fucking, brilliance. I'm dying over here :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

o.pwuaioc wrote:Move over Ray and the Doors. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story puts all the other biopics to shame.

Awesome! I’m kind-of surprised you’d never heard of this. That movie is so, so, funny even if, as you noted, it’s more a parody of overwrought biopic films than a parody of specific musical genre. My wife and I are two of the probably ten people on earth who saw that film in theaters, and I still love it.