What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Raging Justice »

Shaft (2019)

So I actually watched this before The Suicide Squad but didn't mention it here for some reason. Now, I've watched Shaft (2000), also featuring Sam Jackson as Shaft. I remember little about that movie other than that I saw it in a theater with some friends and enjoyed it. This is sort of a sequel/reboot I guess. Shaft is a movie I think some will love and some will hate. This is one of those movies that I think critics trashed, but it had a good audience score and some positive buzz from some youtubers. There are things said that will offend some people. In fact, the movie specifically pokes fun at certain people (cough SJWs cough cough). It's a Shaft movie, so expect lots of machismo, zero political correctness, and lots of "toxic masculinity"

If none of that offends you, it's a fun movie. It's got good action, a nice father/son story. In fact, it kind of ties together three generations of Shaft characters. There are funny jokes, and a few dumb ones, but this isn't the type of movie that takes itself too seriously. It feels similar to some fun, 80s action movies, and obviously fun stuff from the 70s...reminded me a bit too of the Black Dynamite movie, which I think pokes playful fun at stuff like Shaft. The movie has a bit of a fun, buddy cop feel too (think Rush Hour or Lethal Weapon). This trailer sums up what kind of movie you're getting pretty well. If you like it, you'll probably like the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD41XdWcmbY

I actually was a bit disappointed when the movie ended. It really seems to move at a brisk pace and I would have enjoyed a little more of it. The final confrontation ended a little faster than I expected. The movie is just barely over an hour and a half. Anyway, this isn't a classic or must see movie, but I had a good time and I think it does the Shaft name justice. This is one of those roles that Sam Jackson was born for and I found Jessie Usher quite enjoyable as his eventual successor. I guess a lot of people will recognize him as A-Train from The Boys

Thumbs up from me for this movie
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

The Suicide Squad's weekend box office was dismal, and bodes poorly for theaters in the near future. However, going to the movies is one of the few things I like to do, so I'll keep going until they go broke and/or they cart me out of the auditorium feet first.

I'll probably see The Suicide Squad sometime this week, though I have low expectations. I don't think I know any of these characters besides Harley Quinn, and the only James Gunn movie I've seen is the first Guardians, which I did not enjoy. Still, I'm not as picky as I used to be, and for a few bucks I'll get to see some images projected on a screen, so that's nice for me.

Speaking of not being picky, last week I saw Old, M. Night Shyamalan's latest movie. He's had a weird career. I got the sense he was left for dead after an extremely questionable series of films. I mean, he put out The Happening, followed it up with The Last Airbender, and then followed that up with that sci-fi movie starring Will Smith and his son lol. That should have finished anyone off, but he's kept at it, which I gotta respect, and he hasn't changed his style to adapt either. If I didn't know better, I'd believe that Old was his 2004 follow-to Signs.

Anyway, Old's not great or anything, but I had a good time. It held my interest and made me laugh a lot. And I don't mean I was laughing *at* it. Old is well aware that it is ridiculous.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Felt like watching some trash. The Librarian: Quest for the Spear is a very bad film but it actually achieves that. There is just enough self-awareness in the lead character that it made it enjoyable. Plus, Kyle MacLachlan plays the villain so I obviously had to watch it.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Golgo 14 wrote:The Suicide Squad's weekend box office was dismal, and bodes poorly for theaters in the near future. However, going to the movies is one of the few things I like to do, so I'll keep going until they go broke and/or they cart me out of the auditorium feet first.

I heard Scarlett Johansson is suing Disney over how much money she made...or rather DIDN'T make, off of Black Widow. Apparently, she and presumably other actors, are not happy about the revenue they are losing due to movies being available on streaming networks now. I don't know if that is completely to blame for Black Widow not making as much money as the studio expected, but it likely played a role. I didn't even go to a theater to see The Suicide Squad. I just watched it on HBO Max. I have a relatively large TV, a nice comfy set of recliners, popcorn in my pantry, and curtains to keep glare from windows off the TV screen. I have no reason to go to theaters to see movies anymore

It is interesting seeing how covid and streaming networks are affecting the theater industry. Covid doesn't scare me, but I can't see myself wasting money and gas to go to a theater when I can just watch the movie at home the same day it releases in theaters, especially when I don't even know if I will LIKE the movie
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Raging Justice wrote:I heard Scarlett Johansson is suing Disney over how much money she made...or rather DIDN'T make, off of Black Widow. Apparently, she and presumably other actors, are not happy about the revenue they are losing due to movies being available on streaming networks now. I don't know if that is completely to blame for Black Widow not making as much money as the studio expected, but it likely played a role.

Yeah, that's a related, but separate issue. Her contract was partially tied to the box office receipts, assuming that the movie was going to open only in theaters, as they used to say. Instead, the movie was available on streaming from day one, and her contract wasn't built to get a piece of that, so I'd say she's right to be pissed about that.

Black Widow did pretty well though, all things considered. It probably made about half of what it would have made in the before times, but it was seen as a healthy result and a good sign for the future. However, just a month later, The Suicide Squad dropped an absolute deuce, not even making a third of Black Widow's opening weekend.

Raging Justice wrote: I have a relatively large TV, a nice comfy set of recliners, popcorn in my pantry, and curtains to keep glare from windows off the TV screen. I have no reason to go to theaters to see movies anymore

It is interesting seeing how covid and streaming networks are affecting the theater industry. Covid doesn't scare me, but I can't see myself wasting money and gas to go to a theater when I can just watch the movie at home the same day it releases in theaters, especially when I don't even know if I will LIKE the movie

That's a popular opinion, and becoming more mainstream every day, but it's not one that I'll ever share. I'm happy to put down a few bucks to watch any POS in a decent theater. But if you tell me that same movie is available right now on streaming? Yeah, you couldn't pay me to watch that shit. :lol:
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Golgo 14 wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:I heard Scarlett Johansson is suing Disney over how much money she made...or rather DIDN'T make, off of Black Widow. Apparently, she and presumably other actors, are not happy about the revenue they are losing due to movies being available on streaming networks now. I don't know if that is completely to blame for Black Widow not making as much money as the studio expected, but it likely played a role.

Yeah, that's a related, but separate issue. Her contract was partially tied to the box office receipts, assuming that the movie was going to open only in theaters, as they used to say. Instead, the movie was available on streaming from day one, and her contract wasn't built to get a piece of that, so I'd say she's right to be pissed about that.

Not just that. Her contract specified that the film was supposed to have a theater-exclusive window, which was part of tying her pay to theater receipts. Disney didn't just lose her money, it violated the contract. And Disney's response has not been the kind of response the "family friendly" House of Mouse should make. Disney lost the public relations battle with their very first shot.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

marurun wrote:
Golgo 14 wrote:

Not just that. Her contract specified that the film was supposed to have a theater-exclusive window, which was part of tying her pay to theater receipts. Disney didn't just lose her money, it violated the contract. And Disney's response has not been the kind of response the "family friendly" House of Mouse should make. Disney lost the public relations battle with their very first shot.

Disney the company hasn't really been all that great in a long time. People only love them because kids, who do not and cannot know better, love their products. Mickey the corporate monster has been a running gag for years.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Ive been on a DC animated kick lately. I bought the 30 movie collection from iTunes for $100 I think (and got a couple of other animated movies).

So far I’ve watched:
    Superman: Doomsday
    Justice League: The New Frontier
    Batman: Gotham Knight
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern: First Flight
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
    Batman: Under the Red Hood
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    All-Star Superman
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
    Batman: Year One
    Justice League: Doom
    Superman vs. The Elite

I’m currently watching Batman: Dark Knight Returns double feature.

Under the Red Hood was probably my favorite.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
marurun

Post by marurun »

DC's animated fare is so much better than their movie efforts it's ridiculous.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

marurun wrote:DC's animated fare is so much better than their movie efforts it's ridiculous.

Gucci wrote:Ive been on a DC animated kick lately. I bought the 30 movie collection from iTunes for $100 I think (and got a couple of other animated movies).

So far I’ve watched:
    Superman: Doomsday
    Justice League: The New Frontier
    Batman: Gotham Knight
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern: First Flight
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
    Batman: Under the Red Hood
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    All-Star Superman
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
    Batman: Year One
    Justice League: Doom
    Superman vs. The Elite

I’m currently watching Batman: Dark Knight Returns double feature.

Under the Red Hood was probably my favorite.

Jensen Ackles did such a great job in Under the Red Hood they made him the voice of Batman for the Long Halloween movies. Under the Red Hood has a sequel I think, but it's this weird interactive thing where you choose what ending you get. It also recaps a lot of stuff from the first movie.

I love a lot of the DC animated movies. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, despite its name, is probably the best Supergirl movie ever made. Batman: Bad Blood gave us a far more likable Batwoman than the awful CW show. It's also a great "Bat Family" movie, as it features very little of Batman and is more focused on his allies. I love the Owlman scenes in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, he's exactly how I would imagine an evil Batman. I also really like Justice League vs The Fatal Five. It's an excellent Green Lantern movie and it also feels like a lost episode of Justice League Unlimited. I also love how that movie shows us Batman mentoring someone other than the usual suspects (Robin, Batgirl, etc.). Batman Beyond Return of the Joker Uncut is also great, and is similar in theme to Under the Red Hood. Main difference being that the story takes place in the Batman Beyond universe.

One DC animated movie I can't watch though is Justice League Dark Apokolips War. God that movie looks disturbing and depressing. It's basically Game of Thrones DC Edition

In terms of series, I think Green Lantern the Animated series gets overlooked a lot. It's really good. It definitely deserved more than one season