Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Nemoide Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:05 pm

I watched Winners & Sinners last night, and it was the first time I was disappointed by an 80s Jackie Chan movie.
It's the first of the "Lucky Stars" series with Sammo Hung directing and starring with a group of other HK actors who went on to star in several sequels. Yuen Biao also gets top billing on the box art.
Every second Jackie Chan is on screen is a delight, but that highlights the problem with the movie: he really isn't in it much! Yuen Biao is in it even less, with only one small scene. Sammo Hung is great when there's action, but most of the movie revolves around humor where he's hanging out with his friends; the humor is generally dumb and slapsticky and doesn't really hold up that well. Overall, the movie has about 25 minutes of really good stuff with 1 hour and 20 minutes of very bland comedy.

I'm glad I watched it because it's very significant for HK cinema as well as for the careers of Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung, I guess Yuen Biao too. But it sure doesn't feel like much! I'd recommend Wheels on Meals or Project A instead. I got the first three movies in the series as an imported blu-ray set; I'm hoping the next two are a bit better...
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm

Is the film dumb fun?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:45 pm

Your mileage may vary (it was a tremendous hit in Hong Kong), but I definitely wasn't having much fun with the dumb stuff. I just want to compare it to Wheels on Meals which *is* dumb fun that's much more enjoyable.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Seems like I missed this post my bad. It was in regards to Space Truckers.
Ack

by Ack Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:16 pm

Oh yeah, Space Truckers is very dumb fun. Very, very dumb.
Though I also recommend Wheels on Meals over Winners & Sinners.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:04 pm

Nemoide wrote:Your mileage may vary (it was a tremendous hit in Hong Kong), but I definitely wasn't having much fun with the dumb stuff. I just want to compare it to Wheels on Meals which *is* dumb fun that's much more enjoyable.

FUN FACT: Wheels on Meals was released in Japan as Spartan X. Spartan X is also the Japanese title of Irem’s Kung Fu Master, and the game was released in Japan as movie tie-in despite the fact that the only similarities between the movie and the game are: (1) a male protagonist named Thomas; (2) a female character named Sylvia, who is kidnapped; and (3) lots of kung fu fighting. (Despite it’s Japanese title. Kung Fu Master is REALLY inspired by Bruce Lee’s The Game of Death.)

Kung Fu Master and it’s spiritual successor, Vigilante, we’re ported to many different consoles and microcomputers, and those games will be the subject of my next entry in this month’s TR thread.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:57 pm

I found myself disliking pretty much every Hong Kong film so far except for The Boxer's Omen. There's something about its style (would it count as a formal or theatrical style?) that didn't click with me.

However it's been a few years. I tried bollywood recently and loved it so maybe I'll Hong Kong films now too.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:32 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Nemoide wrote:Your mileage may vary (it was a tremendous hit in Hong Kong), but I definitely wasn't having much fun with the dumb stuff. I just want to compare it to Wheels on Meals which *is* dumb fun that's much more enjoyable.

FUN FACT: Wheels on Meals was released in Japan as Spartan X. Spartan X is also the Japanese title of Irem’s Kung Fu Master, and the game was released in Japan as movie tie-in despite the fact that the only similarities between the movie and the game are: (1) a male protagonist named Thomas; (2) a female character named Sylvia, who is kidnapped; and (3) lots of kung fu fighting. (Despite it’s Japanese title. Kung Fu Master is REALLY inspired by Bruce Lee’s The Game of Death.)

Kung Fu Master and it’s spiritual successor, Vigilante, we’re ported to many different consoles and microcomputers, and those games will be the subject of my next entry in this month’s TR thread.

Kung Fu, the first real beat 'em up, though it never gets credit because it didn't have the urban theme and other elements that later games like Double Dragon or Final Fight would have
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:09 pm

Rewatched The Simpsons Movie and forgot how fun it is!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:16 am

Rewatched Day of the Dead for the first time in years. Definitely a different beast from Dawn of the Dead, much more claustrophobic and tense.

And Everybody's Talking About Jamie hit Prime Video and I absolutely LOVED IT! Based on a true story of a teenage drag queen, a young boy in Sheffield dreams of being a drag queen, all with the encouragement of his mother Margaret, family friend Ray, best friend Pritti and mentor Hugo, aka Loco Chanel (played in flashbacks by John McCrea, who previously played Jamie New in the original stage version and also was in Cruella).

I completely and totally recommend Everybody's Talking About Jamie.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever