Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
AwesomeMonstar
128-bit

What was the last movie you've seen?

by AwesomeMonstar Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:00 am

As I pop in my deathrace 2000 dvd, i begin to wonder what my forum mates watch in their free time, so I ask ye, what was the very last movie you watched? Whether it was in theatres, on dvd, on tv, or any other media, what was the last movie you chose to watch?
Don't that just look oh so tasty?
NES-GB-GENESIS-SNES-GBC-32X-SATURN-3DO-N64-DREAMCAST-GBA-PS2-XBOX-GAMECUBE-DS-PSP-WII-360
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:45 am

As in recently, is there a specific time frame from each post?

If by "recently", you mean "as far back as I can call 'recently'":

* Nowhere - the third entry in Gregg Araki's "Teenage Wasteland Trilogy", Nowhere is an odd-yssee of the bizarre, with the tangy taste of social satire and sci-fi elements. Described by Araki as "Beverly Hills, 90210 on acid"," Nowhere is the tale of Dark Smith (played by Araki alum James Duval) and other assorted young people who deal with events, both unusual and slightly more unusual, leading up, at, and after a party.

* The Doom Generation - the second entry in Gregg Araki's "Teenage Wasteland Trilogy" is just as enjoyable, if not more, than the film that followed it.

* The Dreamers - Bertolucci's film version of Gilbert Adair's "The Holy Innocents" (Adair also wrote the screenplay), this controversial film is not to be missed. The plot, which takes place in 1968 Paris, follows an American student who befriends a young woman and her brother. The trio are united by both a love of cinema, but they also bond sexually. Rated NC-17.

* Doomsday - recently released sci-fi film from England. Good, but IMO is worth a rental.

* Fame - an excellent film from the '80s. This film speaks for itself.

* The Wiz - the film version of the all-African-American version of L. Frank Baum's "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". Mostly panned by critics and the like, I found it to actually be more interesting that the MGM classic. As a born-again Oz fanatic, this and my OTHER fave Oz movie, Return to Oz, are not to be missed.

* Hard Candy - Ellen Page, who would later play the title role in Juno, here plays a young woman who lures a potential pedophile to his doom. Rather good, but I might not watch it again for a while.

* Juno - recently rewatched this oddball indie comedy. Written by ex-stripper/writer Diablo Cody, this film mixes engaging and interesting characters with a plucky yet precocious teenage girl who finds herself pregnant. But instead of having an abortion, she opts to give the baby to a couple, Mark and Vanessa Loring. But the next 9 months aren't exactly easy, as she finds herself "dealing with things beyond [her] maturity level".

* The Lost Boys - an excellent vampire movie that breaks many of the standard sterotypes.

* Hedwig and the Angry Inch - dubbed "the Rocky Horror of our time", the film tells the tale of a young man who has a sex change to escape West Germany, only to have the resulting change become botched as his, now her, surgically-crafted vagina sealing shut. And along the way, s/he falls for teenage Army brat Tommy Speck (based on Hedwig actor/writer/director John Cameron Mitchell), only to have him steal the music they created and becomes a major star. But the film switches from the past to the present, the latter following Hedwig and the Angry Inch on a small tour, playing at the locations of the fictional "Bilgewater" restaurants, while shadowing the tour of Tommy Gnosis (a.k.a. Tommy Speck). Truly a rock-and-roll journey to behold.

I should probably start another topic, giving the fact that I have WAY too much to say about movies.[/i]
Daniel Primed
64-bit

by Daniel Primed Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:15 am

The Dark Knight which was obviously brilliant and before that 落叶归根 which is a fantastic Chinese movie starting 赵本山, really surprised me that one.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:52 am

I'm watching "A Little Princess", the 1995 version, right now.

YEY!
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:20 am

Oh, yeah. There was also The Dark Knight. I saw that at midnight on the night before it came out. I had to sit up front cuz there were so many people. My neck cramped up and I had to keep moving my head to see everything. Usually, I just sit in the back row, left side, all the way up against the wall.

Also, there was Almodóvar's "Bad Education".

Also, I totally recommend any John Waters film. However, I should say:

* If you're not easily offended, check out "Pink Flamingos" and "Female Trouble", and to a lesser extent, "A Dirty Shame"
* If you want something for the kids OR like retro musicals, check out the '88 version of "Hairspray" and the film "Cry-Baby"
* If you like satiric social commentary, check out Serial Mom, Polyester, and Cecil B. Demented
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:32 am

Most recently I re-watched one of my favourite spaghetti westerns 'A Bullet for a General' - if anyones interested, here's a review of it I wrote;

http://the-final-sin.blogspot.com/2007/ ... eview.html

If you're a fan of westerns or not, i'd highly reccomend A Bullet for a General - really entertaining movie with some great performances.
Ack

by Ack Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:48 am

Dead Birds. It's an indie horror flick that was recommended to me...I thought it was ok. Hit or miss with most folks, it seems. I'm currently sitting on copies of Angel Heart and Modern Times. Need my Charlie Chaplan fix.
link343
24-bit

by link343 Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:10 am

I just saw The Dark Knight in Theaters. It was the best experience I've had at the theater ever! One thing that was strange, the theater was packed full, on its third week. But this was the last showing on a friday night. But it was very well done. Can't wait for #3.
Ack

by Ack Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:14 am

Yeah, Dark Knight set the record for fastest movie to earn $400 million, in just...18 days, I think? I know ticket prices have increased a good bit, but it still did it in less than half the time it took for the previous record holder, Shrek 2, to pull it off.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:56 am

The Dark Knight was good, but there's a tendency to overglorify everything these days. To be honest I had more fun with Wanted, despite the tedious 40-minute training in between the good action bits. So it was nonsensical, but then so was Batman! :P
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever