What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Limewater »

stickem wrote:
Limewater wrote:I don't know, man. Pixels was pretty really, really terrible. I gave Adam Sandler the chance to surprise me, and he did not. I'm still sore over that one.

I can watch that one as well lol. Not many Sandler movies I won't watch. He's my guilty pleasure!

I can watch his other dumb movies. But it was pretty clear that nobody involved in Pixels knew a damn thing about classic video games.

I don't want to sit and watch Adam Sandler shit on something that I love for an hour and a half.

The only good gag in the entire film was Peter Dinklage's lust for Serena Williams and Martha Stewart.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have thus far failed to be converted to an Adam Sandler fan. His comedy doesn’t match my sense of humor.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

marurun wrote:I have thus far failed to be converted to an Adam Sandler fan. His comedy doesn’t match my sense of humor.

He's about as far from dad jokes as they come in mainstream.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

MrPopo wrote:
marurun wrote:I have thus far failed to be converted to an Adam Sandler fan. His comedy doesn’t match my sense of humor.

He's about as far from dad jokes as they come in mainstream.

He also plays characters I just want to punch and does voices that are nails on a chalkboard.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Armour of God 2 - Operation Condor

I really enjoyed the first movie, and I enjoyed this one even more. The cast in this movie is fantastic, and Jackie has extraordinary chemistry with his female co-stars, all of which are rather easy on the eyes, which is worth mentioning as Armour of God 2 can get pretty raunchy at times. There's even some nudity, though I guess that depends on what version of the movie you see. I think some versions are censored. I watched the 88 films release, reported to be the longest cut of the movie. I believe it has the most accurate subtitles too. I had to pause the movie a few times just to fully read them all at times. This seems like a pretty detailed translation. I watched a few scenes from a shorter cut of the movie and I personally think the added scenes and new translation make the movie better.

Armour of God 2 goes harder in the comedy department than its predecessor, and it is downright hilarious at times. Again, Jackie and these girls work really well together and the rest of the cast features some really funny characters as well who play their roles perfectly. Now, there are a few parts that are a bit too silly, with Jackie and the girls acting like they are in a Looney Tunes cartoon, but I found most of the comedy really entertaining. No Jackie Chan film I have seen so far nails all of the comedy stuff perfectly, but this movie does the best job I've seen so far after watching the first Amour of God, Police Story, and Policy Story 2.

The action and stunts are top notch. In fact, the way this movie blends action and comedy is superb. There is one sequence of events taking place at a hotel near the halfway point of the movie that is just plain brilliant. It starts off slowly with little bits of comedy and action before branching off into a rather elaborate set piece of action and comedy with accompanying music that is really impressive and had me in stitches. It might be the highlight of the movie for me actually, though there's still plenty of great stuff after this part. I don't think the movie ever quite hits this high again though.

I found it interesting that the movie recycles some things from the first movie. Like there is yet another chase sequence and the movie begins in a very similar way to the first one. I don't know if it's to pay homage or maybe an effort to do those things better since it's a sequel. The movie does eventually forge its own path though and stops copying the first one.

Both Armour of God movies have some great scenic shots too. Feels like they went to some great locations to film these movies

So I really like these two movies. I don't know if there is a third movie to make this a proper trilogy, but I'd watch it if there was. Hell, if Jackie was still in his prime I'd watch an Armour of God series just focusing on his adventures around the world
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

He excels at straight to dvd comedies , a repetitive character like Leslie Nielsen or Charlie Chaplin, for the 90s when internet was near non-existing and movies/tv shows were much less in numbers than today his movies make for a very fun family nights.

I wouldn't imagine a 45 year old guy would sit alone on his couch and enjoy a movie like Billy Madison, its just not the target market.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

RCBH928 wrote:

He excels at straight to dvd comedies , a repetitive character like Leslie Nielsen or Charlie Chaplin, for the 90s when internet was near non-existing and movies/tv shows were much less in numbers than today his movies make for a very fun family nights.

I wouldn't imagine a 45 year old guy would sit alone on his couch and enjoy a movie like Billy Madison, its just not the target market.

But Leslie Nielsen and Charlie Chaplin are always watchable at 45.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Aside from Big Daddy, Eight Crazy Nights and Happy Gilmore, Sandler peaked with Billy Madison. But at some point, it was like "oh, Adam Sandler has a new movie out."
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

He has had some really good dramatic roles in films like Spanglish, Uncut Gems, Punch Drunk Love, etc. Ignore his “comedy” films (with the exception of Happy Gilmore, which is great) and start thinking of him as an underutilized character actor. You’ll probably appreciate his work a lot more.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, Happy Gilmore was ok (but not as good as making out with my gf in the theater to it). Also, I have disliked Adam Sandler for a long time. His movies were coming out when I was still arguably the target audience age.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile