Futurama is coming back AGAIN !

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Futurama is coming back AGAIN !

Post by Ziggy »

I can't believe I only just learned of this now... Futurama is coming back with another season set to stream on Hulu in July!

This is great, and feels sort of bizarre at the same time. Remember the old "New Futurama" thread? That was in 2010, and the last episode aired in 2013, so ten years ago!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22666

Kinda wild to look at that thread, it's like looking back in time. So many people that we haven't seen in a while.

Anyways, I'm pretty stoked to see another season get made. I'm not going to worry about "What if it isn't as good" or anything like that. Looking at the list of episode titles for the new season, it looks like it's on the same track. I've heard that Hulu is going to release an episode per week, instead of the entire season all at once. I actually prefer this, and I'm glad they're doing it this way.

Official and super short trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK-jHFUCEi8

Longer Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmtcYvhj68

Note
Next-Gen

Re: Futurama is coming back AGAIN !

Post by Note »

That's awesome it's coming back! I hadn't heard about this either, so I appreciate the heads up. Admittedly, I've only seen episodes here and there, but have enjoyed what I've seen of it. I should go back and try to watch it through from the beginning.

Luckily my partner has Hulu through some combination subscription which I think includes Spotify and Hulu, so I should be able to watch the new episodes along with the earlier season.

Agree that it's wild to go through older threads, makes you wonder where some of the forum alumni hang out on the net nowadays.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I hope they don't mess it up (like a lot of things when they get resurrected these days). One thing I liked about Futurama was its consistency. I feel like that show was always good. I'm more interested in seeing it return than seeing the fifty thousanth season of the Simpsons, a shambling corpse of a show that just never seems to go away
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm not too worried about it. Groening and Cohen seem to cherish Futurama, not milk it. With the history that the show has, and the love the creators seem to have for it, I don't think they would let a revival tarnish the show. All of the original voice actors are coming back, so there's that. I'm not sure about the writers situation, I haven't bothered to look into it. Some people say that one reason the Comedy Central revival wasn't as good as the original run was because the budget was cut and that meant they couldn't hire all of the original writers (just some of them). But while I feel like the original run is still the best, I very much enjoyed the revivals.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I really liked how the first revival did a lot of exploration of Fry and Leela's relationship. They recognized the "will they won't they" had run its course and used it to explore new storylines.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

MrPopo wrote:I really liked how the first revival did a lot of exploration of Fry and Leela's relationship. They recognized the "will they won't they" had run its course and used it to explore new storylines.

Fry and Leela were the beating heart of that show to me, though I think Bender was the funniest character
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Despite Bender being my long-time Avatar (and yes, I've switched back to it!), I don't actually have a favorite character. I've always viewed Fry, Leela and Bender as the main trinity of the show. They each have strengths and weaknesses that compliment each other (and help drive plots forward). Much like how Spock, McCoy and Kirk were the glue that held Star Trek together, even though there's still plenty of other lovable characters.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Thanks for sharing the new trailer, Ziggy!

Looking forward to checking it out.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Has anyone seen the first episode? I thought it was pretty good. Lots of funny lines that felt like classic Futurama. The spirit of the humor doesn't seem to have changed.

Fry and the Professor's voice sound a bit different, but Billy West is ten years older than the last time we heard these voices. There's actually a noticeable different in West's voices from the original run versus the first revival. This isn't uncommon for animated series that span decades, your voice naturally changes over the years.