The late, great Gunstar Green

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: The late, great Gunstar Green

Post by Blu »

I always appreciated hearing Gunstar's opinions on this forum, and on Slack. He had really well-thought out ideas, and any of his posts were enough to catch my attention and read in their entirety.

Like others that have shared already, he had such a cool perspective, was easy to get along with. I always enjoyed talking with him.

Rest in Peace, Aaron.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

I know that everyone here understands the power of online communities and the friendships you make in them. Racketboy has always felt like an alma mater to me, with the folks I've known the longest or who were the most active when I joined feeling like a part of my graduating class. Gunstar was one of my Racketboy classmates, and I'm devastated by the loss of him.

I have very fond memories of spending a lot of time in the Racket Slack in the mid 2010s, and Gunstar was always a regular there. He was the kind of person who never failed to be genuinely enthusiastic about what you were excited about. Just a steady, positive presence -- the kind of person you'd describe as the bedrock of something, or the glue that holds things together. The kind of person whose presence is going to be sorely missed by everybody, because he added something lovely to everyone's lives just by being around.

So, I'm going to take you back in time a little bit and tell you my favorite memory of Gunstar.

One day, all those years ago, the Slack chat got talking about Gundam model kits. Gunstar mentioned that he'd always wanted to try building one but had always hesitated because he wasn't sure he'd be skilled enough to do it. We cheered him on pretty hard, and over time he not only got into the kits, but became seriously accomplished at the artistry of post-build detailing: penwork, topcoats, and the pinpoint application of ridiculously tiny stickers.

Some time later while I was downsizing for a cross-country move I reached out to him to see if he'd like to adopt my own two unadorned Gunpla. They were intended as gifts for him to keep and practice on, but to my surprise, after he'd detailed my favorite one, he pinged me to say he was ready to come home if I wanted him. This is how my beloved baby Juaggu returned to me looking super sharp from what we called his "spa treatment," with just the right amount of stickers to look elegantly badass.

Through our conversations it was clear that Gunstar weathered his condition with an almost unreal level-headedness. We commiserated sometimes over medical stuff, and he would give me updates on his latest checkups or procedures in the same tone that one might describe their daily errands ("Well, I went to the store and did this, and then after that I got gas, then I figured I might as well do this other thing, and now I'm at home and resting!"). No lamenting, no hand-wringing... just a clear-eyed view and a deep trust in his decisions and those of the people who cared for him. This is someone who was grateful for life and enjoyed it. It was our honor to know him.

I want to end this by sharing one last anecdote. In the Twitch retro circles I roll in there's another person with Gunstar in their handle, so whenever GunstarGreen would show up, I would call him "my Gunstar," in the way you do to differentiate a dear old friend from others of the same name. I can't express how much I hate that I'm eulogizing him right now, or how much I wish I'd talked to him more in recent years. He resonated with so many of us, and will always be my Gunstar, my dear old friend.

More [large] pictures of Juaggu under the spoiler:

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Does anyone know what disease he had? I feel like a terrible friend for not realizing just how sick he was, and I would at least like to educate myself on the illness that took him away from us.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I didn't know him well, but it's still awful to hear. I check in and see how everyone is doing real regularly, even I don't post all that much these days.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Shit, I just only saw this!
I wasn't close, but I really enjoyed every conversation we had. I'm really not okay with hearing this so I'm searching for words. I, I can't believe he's not here...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

Not only was Gunstar someone who could bridge love of Macross with love of Gundam, he also really knew his Real Robot stuff, and I enjoyed reading the information he shared about them. I realize that sounds really shallow, but it's nice to read stuff from people are knowledgeable and passionate but not aggressive or in-your-face about their interests. He was also a really good sounding board. If I was worried I'd overstepped I could throw him a quick DM in Slack and he'd let me know his opinion, and I could use that to determine if and who I needed to apologize to. He was capable of being polite about it but also direct. He even helped get me into VOTOMs.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Gunstar was such a great guy. He was always the person with whom you wanted to chat in Slack because he was so knowledgeable on so many interesting subjects. For the same reason, it was always a pleasure reading his posts on the forum, and whenever you saw his picture next to a post, you knew it would be good. Or funny. Because, in addition to his vast knowledge of (admittedly) nerdy subjects, Gunstar also had a quick wit and a dry, irreverent sense of humor. I frequently laughed out loud at his messages and posts, and I wish I’d had the opportunity to meet him in person. I know it would have been a great time.

The world is a poorer place without Gunstar in it, but I’m glad we can still go back and re-read his old posts and messages. I don’t know whether he was a religious or spiritual person, but regardless, I like to think that, if they have retro gaming forums and Slack chats in Heaven (which, of course they do because it wouldn’t be heaven without them), he’s up there chatting with some of our other departed members.
marurun

Post by marurun »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Does anyone know what disease he had? I feel like a terrible friend for not realizing just how sick he was, and I would at least like to educate myself on the illness that took him away from us.

I have the OK to share some of the details. He passed from cancer resulting from primary sclerosing cholangitis, and he was doing his best to ensure the best outcome.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Great guy; I always enjoyed chatting with him. He will be missed. Best wishes to his family.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

SamuraiMegas wrote:I didn't know him well, but it's still awful to hear. I check in and see how everyone is doing real regularly, even I don't post all that much these days.

Same here -- I do remember him being in the mix quite often, but didn't get to know him.
And while it is indeed sad news, It does warm my heart to see the connections and memories.