Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
dsheinem
Next-Gen

The late, great Gunstar Green

by dsheinem Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:24 am

11062.jpg
11062.jpg (5.24 KiB) Viewed 172346 times

This afternoon I learned that Gunstar Green, a long time member of this community and a good friend to many of us here over the years, passed away earlier today following a long-term fight with a condition that he knew would likely one day take him young. He was 36.

This is a sad day here at Racketboy for many reasons - Gunstar (Aaron) was a fixture here who offered us his wisdom, his kindness, and his sense of humor over more than a decade. He will be especially missed by those of us who got to know him well over Slack chats, private messaging, and meetups over the years. Since he lived within 30 minutes of me, I had several opportunities to hang out with him and do stuff like go driving around to hunt for retro games across local thrift stores - times I will now remember with both fondness and sadness. :cry:

In the thread below, please share your recollections of Gunstar Green -- I am hoping to share them with his family in the near future. Nothing can replace the loss of a son, a partner, or a friend - but perhaps we can try to let the rest of his loved ones know just what an enormous impact he made on this little community of retro gamers over the years. He will be missed.

gg.JPG
gg.JPG (64.06 KiB) Viewed 172346 times

gg2.JPG
gg2.JPG (18.77 KiB) Viewed 172346 times
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: The late, great Gunstar Green

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:42 am

Thank you so much for putting this thread together, dsh. I'll do my best to contribute what I can once I can pull myself together enough to do so.

It's been nearly 12 hours since I found out about it and it's still so hard to do anything but cry ;w;
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:50 am

I never had direct contact with him, however he actively contributed to the community in a positive way.

Sorry to any and all who feel the loss.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:59 am

I'm just in shock. I knew he was sick, but I hadn't realized it was a terminal illness. He was always my go-to to talk about shmups, and his recommendations played a big part in forming my preferences in the genre. I loved chatting politics with him in Slack. He was such a staple of Racketboy, and the fact that he's gone just doesn't feel real.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

by marurun Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:06 am

I have thoughts, but organizing them is tough. It's hard to talk about someone who was such a constant presence yet always at a certain distance (as online things often are). And yet, we definitely got insights as to who he was as a person. He wasn't just a name on a screen. I'll have more to say later, I think.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:42 am

Very sad news indeed. He was my battletech buddy on slack. We had many a talk about mechs and the Battletech PC game. He will be missed.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:43 am

emwearz wrote:I never had direct contact with him, however he actively contributed to the community in a positive way.

Sorry to any and all who feel the loss.

My words exactly.

Rest in Peace.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:21 pm

It is always terrible when we lose one of our own. I did not know him well but I sincerely hope he was well enough to enjoy Elden Ring. I know he was a big fan of FromSoftware and Souls games.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:21 pm

Gunstar was the guy on Slack that everyone knew and everyone liked. He had his passions and encouraged yours.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:23 pm

MrPopo wrote:Gunstar was the guy on Slack that everyone knew and everyone liked. He had his passions and encouraged yours.

"The guy everyone knew and everyone liked" might be the most succinct but also most apt eulogy one could give him.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to Off-Topic / Whatever