The "What are you eating for Thanksgiving 2022" thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

The "What are you eating for Thanksgiving 2022" thread

Post by marurun »

Hey all, I love cooking and eating, so I am curious to know what you're all doing for Thanksgiving. What are your food and drink plans?

We'll be having a red ranger chicken because we're not having Thanksgiving itself with more than just the 3 of us, and turkeys are too much bird and, really, not actually all that tasty. Good for gravy but not much else. But because it's Thanksgiving we wanted a nicer grade of chicken. And though red rangers aren't a heritage breed, they're still fancy enough. Well be doing stuffing separately, a family sausage stuffing recipe (which this year won't be stuffed, for clear reasons). We'll be doing some cinnamon and sugar yams, and possibly some roasted potatoes under the chicken to soak up some of those tasty drippings. We have a bit of purple cabbage around which might also go under the chicken if we remember. We'll also be roasting some Brussels sprouts, because we love them lightly charred in the oven and soft in the middle. And then there's the pumpkin pie. We might possibly also have apple, but 2 pies for 3 people is a bit extreme, so probably we'll just do pumpkin and save the apple for some other time. And there will definitely be some apple cider old-fashioneds, a recipe my wife has constructed which is insanely good and involved boiling cider down to almost syrup and then adding it, whisky, and some bitters to some carbonated water over ice. Lovely drink. Danger drink, really.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: The "What are you eating for Thanksgiving 2022" thread

Post by SamuraiMegas »

My family has been doing Thanksgiving less and less, and now I'm not doing anything for the holidays. Honestly 100% fine with me, I don't really care about Thanksgiving. I get two days off and can just relax and not worry about school for a bit.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Great thread.

I’ll be cooking collard greens, and my wife is making mashed potatoes and a sweet potato pie (and probably, also, a blueberry pie…She loves baking, and we all love her pies.). My father will roast a Turkey, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he also cooks a ham. My mother will make candied yams, butter beans, a salad, and deviled eggs, and my brother is making dressing. My daughter also wants to bake us all some cookies. (I’m not sure what my mother-in-law, father-in-law, and sister-in-law will make, but I have my fingers crossed for a few things.)

We’ll all get together at my parents’ house mid-day Thursday and have a delightful meal. We’ll talk a lot, drink a little, and watch at least a little football (and soccer). Should be fun!

marurun wrote:We have a bit of purple cabbage around which might also go under the chicken if we remember. We'll also be roasting some Brussels sprouts, because we love them lightly charred in the oven and soft in the middle.

You have excellent taste. If my parents can’t host, I’m driving to your place…

marurun wrote: And there will definitely be some apple cider old-fashioneds, a recipe my wife has constructed which is insanely good and involved boiling cider down to almost syrup and then adding it, whisky, and some bitters to some carbonated water over ice. Lovely drink. Danger drink, really.

…and drinking this. It sounds great!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:And then there's the pumpkin pie. We might possibly also have apple, but 2 pies for 3 people is a bit extreme, so probably we'll just do pumpkin and save the apple for some other time.

I feel like pie is the best quintessential Thanksgiving dessert. And personally, since I find it too hard to choose just one, I find it best to have a spread of pies for Thanksgiving Day. I'll take a thin slice of each and make a sort of pie sampler for myself.

Apple and Pumpkin are standard. If you invite enough people, you're bound to get those. One year I was at a dinner that ended up having 3 pumpkin pies. Now I like pumpkin, and I love apple, but there's two other pies that I really like to have. Coconut custard pudding pie. These two seem to have fallen out of fashion.

So for the past few years I end up making a pudding pie, since that's the only way I'm gonna have one and they're dead simple to make anyway. This year I made the standard chocolate pudding pie. You gotta make the pudding on the stove top, none of that instant crap. Just pour the pudding into a graham crust and let it set in the fridge. Then top with whip cream, and that's it! In previous years I've also made a vanilla pudding pie that goes in an Oreo pie crust. So simple to make, and yet so delicious!
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

My wife has the flu so my middle son and I are making Lasagna (sausage) for dinner on Thanksgiving. On Sunday if everone is well we will do the feast with my mom and dad (plus my wife and five kids). For the feast we host and each one of us will make at least one thing: Turkey, Mashed Potatoes (two youngest daughters), Stuffing, Mac & Cheese (oldest son), Jello & Rolls (oldest daughter), Pumpkin Pie (oldest son) and a Cheese Cake (middle son). We will have some other vegetable and hopefully my parents bring deviled eggs.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm on my own this year, so I snagged a turkey breast and will be roasting that (covered in a Dutch oven over mirepoix). I finished making pumpkin pie last night. And instead of whipped cream, I'm going to try and top it with dulce de leche and see how that turns out.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

SamuraiMegas wrote:My family has been doing Thanksgiving less and less, and now I'm not doing anything for the holidays. Honestly 100% fine with me, I don't really care about Thanksgiving. I get two days off and can just relax and not worry about school for a bit.

I am actually quite jealous of those Thanksgiving Plans.

I enjoy the two days off in a row, but I am not a fan of the meal at all. I go over to my sister's as she hosts for my family. Her husband put the turkey in an air fryer last year, so it was better than before. When my mom made the turkey, it was normally incredibly dry, so I had to smoother it with gravy. I would much prefer a big ham or something like that as I grow less fond of turkey with each passing year.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Ham, green beans, sweet potato casserole, rolls, dressing, chocolate pie.