marurun

Re: Heineken vs Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by marurun »

My cheap beer comes from Trader Joe. Simpler Times lager FTW
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Cheap beer is dangerous. At least for me it is because I end up drinking more of it.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

SamuraiMegas wrote:Otherwise PBR>Heineken. I went to DC for vacation with a friend in High School, and one morning I asked his dad if we were going to get any breakfast. He cracked open a PBR and handed it me and said "if you're still hungry after that drink another one". I've had a soft spot for it ever since.

If you were in DC and were drinking PBR you missed your chance for the local dirt-cheap beer out of Baltimore-- National Bohemian.

There's also the Boh-tini. It's National Bohemian served in a martini glass with Old Bay seasoning around the rim. It's... not great. But it's worth trying once.

opa wrote:Apparently this is at a gas station down the way from me. May check it out some time next week.

Just to make expectations clear, I like Genesee Cream a lot, but when I was drinking it I was getting a 30 pack for about $12. At that price point it's amazing.

marurun wrote:My cheap beer comes from Trader Joe. Simpler Times lager FTW

At that price point I usually stick with Yuengling. Trader Joe's is too crowded.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yuengling isn’t as good and costs more and I also have “other” reasons for not wanting to support Yuengling.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Yuengling isn't my personal preference. I can get a half decent IPA for like a dollar more around here.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yuengling was $18.99 for a case of 24 at BJ's, so it was my go-to beer for a while. Less than a dollar a beer? OK! It got even worse when I decided I like Budweiser in a can during the summertime. BJ's had 36 cans for $24.99 (or somewhere around there). But apparently I can't drink very many beers anymore without it blowing up my stomach.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think the Simple Times lager and Pilsner are $3.99 for a 6-pack. And they are definitely better picks.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

So back in the day I used to drink mostly Budweiser. I got people telling me it's not real beer because it was made with rice, and that it was bad, but I didn't care, it got me drunk and it tasted okay. Specifically, I could down a 24 pack without a hangover. It doesn't taste okay consistently anymore and I stopped drinking it, but this is a story from back then.
So I used to regularly drink a 15 pack of beer or more daily - I also smoked two packs of cigarettes daily - I was just that cool. I was working a long shutdown in Prince George - a big "green energy" expansion of a pulp mill to replace their precipitator (pollution filter).
I'd been there for over a month, and I was talking on the phone with my dad while browsing the liquor store. I see a sale on Pabst Blue Ribbon, and mentioned it to my dad. He tells me it was my late grandpa's favorite (alcoholism runs in the family). So I grab a pack and ring it up at the till.
I drink one can on the way home - "Hey, this tastes pretty good!", crack an ice-cold bud at the motel while sorting out my lunch bag and getting ready for a shower. I'd been working long hours - this was another overtime day, and I'm pretty tired. I take a shower finishing off the Budweiser in the shower (an old boilermaker trick), and crack another Pabst while making another phone call and smoking outside. I'm getting a bit tired, and don't feel like partying with the rest of the crew, so I down my third Pabst, make a lunch and go to sleep.
This was a Sunday night and the Monday shift was a stat holiday; A so-called "Golden Ringer" - 3 days of double-time pay; In the contract we get payed (and taxed) at twice our standard hourly rate through weekends and stat holidays.
Sweet.
So I hazily wake to the phone ringing and my brother outside my door banging on it with his steel toed shoes. I try to get up - SHARP PAIN! Vision blurry, ears ringing, pounding headache!
I've never felt this shitty before in my life!
I've been through bouts of pneumonia and the hallucinations caused by it. I've had bad recreational drug trips. This is worse! I think I might die!
Brother's still kicking my door so I worm-wiggle off the bed in pain across the floor, and open it.
Then I pass out.
Wake up to him yelling in my face about how we're going to be late. I mumble a bit unintelligible. I motion for him to leave and say "Dying! Leave!"
It took me almost 20 minutes to dial the company office and relay my inability to come in to work that day.

Pabst - never again!

However, I'm not very fond of Heineken. Kinda shit tasting. I'll vote Pabst. It's a'ight.
I drink mostly Old Milwaukee, and otherwise, Alexander Keith's.

Link to a video.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Wow. Heineken: Worse than a brush with death!
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Anapan wrote:So I used to regularly drink a 15 pack of beer or more daily - I also smoked two packs of cigarettes daily - I was just that cool.

Are you secretly a 1950's crime detective?