Charity Auction: Nov 1st - Which Charity?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Anapan
Next-Gen

Charity Auction: Nov 1st - Which Charity?

Post by Anapan »

Hey all, PM me anything you want to donate. I understand if you want to find out where your donation is going before donating; That's what this topic is about. I'll paste in some rules and guidelines shortly to this post, but they need a bit of work. Expect this post to be edited shortly. Just finished another 13 hour shift so I'm not feeling up to checking syntax just now.

Anyone can suggest a charity even if you don't plan to participate directly. I will only be checking and posting the charity's details or rating, not actually weighing in on it personally. Unless the community is unanimous in this post about which one it is, I'll generate a poll and it will be decided there.

I'll give the discussion until the 16th of this month. I'll then announce it or generate a poll which will be given 10 days of arbitration.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Charity Auction: Nov 1st - Which Charity?

Post by SamuraiMegas »

My vote is for DanceSafe but I doubt that will be popular here haha. I think I have a few items I can donate this year too, I will dig around.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I know I said I wouldn't weigh in, at least I won't be voting in the poll, but when I attended Shambhala, a similar non profit service was there, and I'm totally convinced it saved countless lives. I think that it's underfunded - they were taking donations for better equipment - a gas chromatograph based one I think, so they could get results faster and prevent more deaths. The lineup was almost an hour and I watched many people leave while eating random pills :|
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I've personally experienced addiction (pain pills) when I was younger (sober for like 5 years now, just smoke and drink now) and I see a lot of people my age in way over their heads with drugs the same way I was. I'm a very strong proponent of harm reduction and informing people on safe drug use nowadays.

I also donate to MAPS like once a year, same with erowid.

I also know the Screw Up Records and Tapes store that is ran by DJ Screw's cousin is taking donations to fix up Screw's old Impala but I think people here are even less interested in that haha.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think we should definitely look for causes close to our forumites. Maybe check in with Blu and Stark to see if they still are involved with the causes that personally impacted them over the years.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Nobody's biting. I nominate ASPCA. I like cats. Feral cats are a problem. My country calls them SPCA
I'll put another. Robin Sepulut. He feeds cats. I've donated to give his apartment more cat toys. Where he lives, cats are unmanaged, and they spread diseases. he's tried to save some, but recently some died. I think this guy's awesome.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

Some of the charities that have touched our users in the past are Ronald McDonald House, Meat Fight, Seattle Children's Hospital, and the Fred Hutchinson Foundation. Given the toxicity that often seeps into the gaming scene, perhaps we should also consider some mental health organizations or support organizations for victims of harassment or abuse. There's also the Video Game History Foundation.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I think we disowned Ronald McDonald a while back.
Blacklisted.
I think the best charity we unanimously supported was Ablegamers. We should support them again.
I'm just stirring the pot. I only donate things because members will receive them and I want members to use my unused hardware. Or sell my unused hardware for a profit. I support our forum by running this charity. I will not fail to follow protocol (Protocol is mostly solidified, but outstanding issues from previous auctions need to be addressed).
Positivity! We'll all make one thing better and also acquire games!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I haven't posted, but I have been thinking about which charity to donate to. Whatever we pick, I'd just like to make sure we research them a little first. Like, what percentage of every dollar donated goes to the actual cause. Because some "charities" can be pretty scammy.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

when's the call for donations? edit: Just saw to pm you. I will soon.

I'd be cool with any legit mental health stuff/ homeless / etc charities.