Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Whats with the great resignation?

by RCBH928 Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:15 pm

Some how people are finding it cool and courageous to quit your job. All power to you, but how do you plan on making a living? Where will you live? I am all for people leaving toxic work environments but excuses are becoming as silly as "they won't let me work from home"

All in all, I am seeing a lot of people complaining about just doing work. People used to be happy just to have a job and did their best at it. Now they get a good job and complain how its not good enough for them. I wonder if this was always the case, but pre-90s people didn't seem to be so. Now many people seem to do just enough to get by and not get fired.

Am I missing something?
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: Whats with the great resignation?

by PretentiousHipster Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:42 pm

A very political topic :P

Wealth inequality is driving up to the roof from the 90s, and experiencing stuff like "once in a lifetime" recessions once every few years, and seeing how poorly people are taken care of during covid, I think people are starting to realize that they deserve better. They will of course need work, but with that the demand of workers will increase, giving the employers no choice but to have better pay and working conditions.

I wouldn't say that google thing you linked is a material analysis, but it does show that in white collar work most companies said that it was impossible to work remotely, yet when covid hit they were able to show that it was done in a frankly easy transition.

I can talk more about it, but this thread will probably be locked anyways.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:13 pm

RCBH, your previous posts, such as the "team sports" thread, have implied that you are outside of the United States or Canada. Is the "Great Resignation" really considered to be a thing where you live?

Regardless, I think it's kind of mischaracterized, and looking at the anti-work subreddit doesn't give a great picture. Reddit is fully of echo chamber communities. When I have read the anti-work subreddit it has seemed that most participants don't believe anybody should have to work and everyone should have universal basic income which, yeah, is pretty political.

In the United States, at least, the Bureau of Labor and Statistics has the workforce participation rate right now at 1% lower than it was pre-Covid, and it has generally been climbing since an initial Covid drop-off. https://www.bls.gov/charts/employment-situation/civilian-labor-force-participation-rate.htm

A lot of people left the workforce at the start of Covid because they were old and retirement-age anyway, or they worked jobs in areas that were severely affected, or had extra stress, or had extra family commitments. A lot of people have left jobs during the "great resignation," but unemployment in the United States has been very, very low lately, with there being either two or four (I can't remember) job postings for every job seeker. People have a lot more options and negotiating power in their employment right now, so many have used that as a chance to move to other jobs.

The general job market has changed a lot compared to fifty years ago. Fifty years ago pensions were very common in the United States. Something like 80% of the workforce had a pension, which greatly incentivized company loyalty. Now that number is, I think, under 30%, so there is is generally less incentive for company loyalty.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

by marurun Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:11 pm

This is a very socio-political topic and not appropriate discussion for this forum. RCBH, there are ways to learn about this without bringing it to a gaming forum, and also without going to Reddit.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever