Any diabetics here wanting to share recipes or tips?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Any diabetics here wanting to share recipes or tips?

Post by marurun »

Gluten is actually a kind of protein. What you want is "low-carb" pasta, which usually pairs the carbs with fiber to slow absorption in the gut, though the fiber they pair it with (usually inulin) gives me awful indigestion and gas, and fiber may not be fully adequate to offset carbs for diabetics.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, I just didn't realize how many carbs corn has. Growing up, I always thought of corn as a vegetable and not a starch.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:Yeah, I just didn't realize how many carbs corn has. Growing up, I always thought of corn as a vegetable and not a starch.

Well, the most common starch you buy in US stores is corn starch, and corn syrup is used more than any other sugar-based sweetener. Those wouldn't be a thing if corn didn't deliver. Too bad it's an environmental disaster as crops go.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Tried my wife with rice, first time for 1.5 years. Did 83g dry rice which will have given her a spike in my rice dish - mixed with mushrooms, onion, leek, sausages and bacon (plus soy sauce and parsley).

Washed the rice about 6 times over 3 hours, so rice was clear. Too the volume of the original dry long-grain white rice and added double volume of boiling water to it in a pan with lid, plus about 10ml of oil; stirred, brought to boil with lid on, then to light simmer for 10 minutes, then removed from heat for 15 minutes. Rinsed rice in cold water a few times until clear, left on the side. Rice was still fluffy and grains separate.

Her blood glucose level was 6.8 which was a success! Rice tasted blander than it used to which is because all the surface starch had been removed from all the rinsing - rice has a lot of surface area so I clearly managed to remove a lot of it.
I am the Bacman
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I spend a long time cooking every day if I can, but I don't usually think about carbs. I do try to cook a variety and what I think is healthy. I try to avoid pasta and breads as I prefer the flavor of the food to come through, not just coat a wad of flour. I love to slow-roast root vegetables, but I think that might be rendering the starches into sugars, so that's probably out... I do use celery root often, tho when mashed (with or without potatoes) I need to use a wooden spoon and a medium mesh colander to sort out the fibers before I serve it. The flavor is totally worth it, but it's not available locally often so I am always happy to get it when it is.

I do feel that if a decent portion of the meal isn't proteins - meat (or substitutes if necessary), it's not a complete meal.

I love the flavor of beef, especially grilled over hardwood chunk charcoal, and I spend a lot of effort smoking meats and preserving them.

My new toy is a sous-vide. This new gadget brings things to another level compared to what I used to be able to do with any meat - fowl, or fish included. Especially beef tho, all those super-cheap but super-lean cuts of beef - chuck, sirloin, round that have a lot of flavor, but are hard to make into anything good without pounding, stabbing or marinating until they're not the same shape of flavor are now easily (effort-wise) able to be served and enjoyed as well as the 5X priced meat you have to tend to carefully to make well.

I'm using the Instant-pot brand one, and sous-bear brand bags (tho you can just clothes-pin ziploc bags to the edge of whatever plastic container you use)
https://instantappliances.com/portfolio-item/accu-slim/
Tho after seeing what and how it works, I doubt even the lowest priced 4-star amazon buy would even have a slight chance of not doing the exact same thing unwavering for many years - it's so simple a device.

Be aware, if you plan to have the best experience with the cheapest meat (this is really the best meal and best use!) you have to put the meat and the herbs in about the same time as you eat the previous day. Whatever dry rub or herb mixture you stick in the bag, it will flavor the entire meat (at least partially). All the liquid in the bag can be reduced in a pan to make some awesome sauces.

I just had the best sirloin roast I've ever eaten earlier today - only a bit of unsalted butter, some pepper and my own garden herbs in the bag.

I think I followed this recipe the closest:
https://izzycooking.com/sous-vide-chuck-roast/

My family doesn't like too pink, so I did it at 153F - still pink throughout and fork tender to cut but nobody could mistake the juices or color for raw, and I seared the outside in a cast-iron pan until almost black.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
terrysmithh54

Post by terrysmithh54 »

Personally use 16/8 interval meals. Also apply the principles of keto nutrition. And drink herbal tea to lower blood sugar levels.