Any diabetics here wanting to share recipes or tips?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
bacteria
Next-Gen

Any diabetics here wanting to share recipes or tips?

Post by bacteria »

As mentioned elsewhere, my wife is a diabetic and i've made and also developed various recipes that help to maintain lower blood glucose levels; i've done a fair bit of research.

Anyone here either want to share their experiences or need advice??
I am the Bacman
marurun

Re: Any diabetics here wanting to share recipes or tips?

Post by marurun »

I suspect when I get over my needle phobia long enough to get a blood draw I'll probably show up as in the early stages, so it would be nice to know how to eat. I'll probably keep an eye on whatever conversation comes up in here.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Same here. My mother is/was hypoglycemic. That can be a precursor to diabetes. Her mother developed diabetes, and IIRC it started with hypoglycemia. So I should probably eat better than I do. I will definitely keep an eye on this thread.

Bac, please share you recipes (especially the successes). Non-diabetic people can benefit from them as well. Very few people I know actually eat right. The rest of us eat WAY too much breads and sweets.

Gluten free pasta is very hard to cook just right, and it doesn't reheat well (it's basically impossible) but there's some really good options now. There's one Italian restaurant that I like to frequent, and they have a gluten free pasta option. When I get it, it's usually cooked to perfection. And I don't feel like a bloated mess after eating it.
Ack

Post by Ack »

My mother was diagnosed as diabetic a couple of months ago. I'll ask her about recipes she's cooking up and see if I can share them too.
marurun

Post by marurun »

If you cook pasta or rice the day before and refrigerate it for a day the carbs become less digestible, resulting in more stable blood sugar after consumption, even if you warm them back up.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7022949/
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

I'm going to add one recipe or super-tip to a different post to keep them separate and also keep the thread live and going.

@moderators - could you please sticky this thread as this is something that could help people rather than a "what game are you playing now" type thread?

The only way to know what your blood sugars are is to get a test kit that involves pricking your finger to get a drop of blood and testing it on a stick in a gadget that gives you a reading.

To put it onto my wife's situation, she was on diabetic tablets for a few years and it kept her under control no matter what she eat; however at the start of last year all that changed. Clearly her pancreas was no longer producing enough insulin as needed so unable to counter the glucose in her blood, her level went up.

The first time when we got the test kit to test her bloods, her level was 25; it is now daily between 5.4 and 9 which is fine (rarely 9, but happens). Two reasons in her case - firstly she has also now taken early retirement, so without the stress of work, her levels are far easier to maintain; secondly her food which is how I kept her levels down even when she was working - difference is now that in reason, I can give her some fruit or even home-made crumpets, and keep her levels down. What always causes her levels to spike is a piece of regular bread as that is high in wheat flour; as with pasta and rice.

In regards to bread, I tried many internet recipes and despite promises of "best ever" they were frankly, shit; eggy or looked like a stone and tasted of drywall or flat and hard; yuk. I was not getting luck until came across Dierdrie's recipe, which is a life-changer. You end up with bread that looks just like bread, is nicely medium brown in colour, bouncy and actually tastes like regular bread. More on this in a moment below.

@marurun - sure I get the needle phobia however a prick-stick is not a needle, it isn't going into your veins, just pricking the side of your finger so you should be ok.

@Ziggy587 - gluten is relevant to celiacs not diabetics so going to that Italian restaurant i'd suggest isn't a help. Carbs are your enemy not gluten. In fact, the recipe below which only has about 10% of the carbs of an equivalent amount of normal bread, uses vital wheat gluten for the rise, which is the component of wheat flour that is the same component.

@Ack - great, might be she has some i'd benefit from and i'm sure I have ones i'll share she will too.

@marurun - the article is rather hard to follow as designed by scientists rather than practical people! Yes, changing the composition changes absorbing by the body however different people react differently; the basic situation is the milky liquid in potatoes and rice is the carbs so removal of that as much as possible will reduce the level of carbs in the food, especially with rice as rice has a large surface area; however with rice the trick is not to end up with lumpy clumpy rice; i'll be experimenting tomorrow with rice.

Anyway, Dierdrie's bread - it is a life-changer for diabetics!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPTcf4Ol0cY

Being in the UK we prefer to use grammes rather than cups, more accurate in measuring too. You need a good set of scales that can work in 1/10's of a gram as if the recipe says for example 15g you actually want 15g not 16g for example.

Above is the recipe. Psyllium husk helps the bread not collapse. Flaxseed is the same as Linseed so check for either.

You can make a dozen rolls from a loaf quantity by rolling up a piece of greaseproof paper into a circle (about 9cm) and using a stapler to hold it in place. These make for nice high rolls as the rings will make the bread rise and not spread.
I am the Bacman
marurun

Post by marurun »

Any good baker should be working with weight, not volume, in the UK or in the US.

@bac, yeah, that particular research article is a bit dense, but the tl;dr is that refrigerating rice and pasta changes the structure of some of the starches, and those changes persist even when rewarmed. You still get an initial blood sugar rise, but that rise in blood sugar doesn't stick around because there are fewer easily processable carbs. One good use of day-old rice is fried rice, which works much better with day-old than fresh. Day-old rice would also be good for soups and other dishes where you want the rice cooked in-advance. For pasta you can actually refresh it in boiling water and that restores it pretty well.

But yes, whether those changes are enough for someone who has to be on a very carb-restricted diet, that may be another thing altogether.

As to the needle-phobia, even a prick is still a needle. The thing about phobias is that they aren't particularly rational, and I'd have to have a fasting blood draw to confirm whether or not I'm now diabetic. I managed to get my COVID vaccines because I was prepared and positive about the outcome and my wife drove me and stayed with me as a support for both shots. I'm not sure I can pull off the same thing where I'm worried about the results and they might confirm stuff that sucks.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Using grammes is weight, cups is volume and a cup of a product can depend on it's density and if pressed down, etc - which is why it is surprising so many recipes use cups and not grammes. When I tried Dierdrie's recipe (ie cups) I weighed out what the cup weight was into grammes to keep a consistent recipe, and the result wasn't great, the bread collapsed. I managed to finally find someone who took that recipe and gave grammes and some of my ingredients were about 1/3 wrong - using grammes means consistency; the above recipe works perfectly, every time, and i've made it many many times over the last months.

--

Some great tip - celeriac. It is a pig-ugly veg but good as a substitute for potatoes, at least for one dish...

It works "ok" for chips, brilliant in potato dish, brilliant as mash but sucks at roasting or boiling. These 3 recipes which are so great it tastes like potato however unlike potato, celeriac is very low in carbs and for my wife, actually seems negative in carbs!

Prepare celeriac - cut off the ugly root part. If you are cutting into the celeriac use a chef's knife as you need a meaty knife like that.

(1) Chips

Remove all the skin of the celeriac and any brown areas. Slice into chips (or "home fries" or "wedges" as they say in the USA), boil in boiling water; NO SALT; for about 5 minutes, then drain and let cool for a bit in the saucepan, so water is pretty gone. Add a little oil, mix and then put chips, separated, onto greaseproof paper and in pre-heated oven at about 200 celcius for about 40-60 minutes until starting to brown.

Adding salt to the water makes for floppy chips so why you don't use it. Result is "ok" but not good enough to be a potato substitute.

(2) Potato dish

Slice celeriac as above and into small slices like you'd do with potato. Make a roux (normal flour, butter, milk, mustard, seasoning, herbs); pre-boil celeriac for 5 minutes; then add to sauce with some sliced onions. Put into dish, cover lightly with strong cheese, bake in oven at about 180 celcius for about 50 minutes until bubbling.

This tastes the same if you make it with celeriac or potatoes, which is great news.

(3) Mash

Don't boil the celeriac as it drinks the water. Process is to remove any roots from celeriac and wash the celeriac in water so all soil is gone. Prick the celeriac all over in places with a fork. Microwave the celeriac on a plate, on full power, for about 20 minutes. Using tongs as the veg will be fairly soft; put onto a large piece of kitchen foil, cover lightly with vegetable oil and some herbs; cover it with the foil and bake in the oven for about 2-2.5 hours at about 180 celcius. Remove from oven, keep in foil, remove top of celeriac and the veg is then so soft even a piece of butter slides through it easily - insert some butter and grated cheese - result is very similar to potato mash. Game changing!
I am the Bacman
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

bateria wrote:@Ziggy587 - gluten is relevant to celiacs not diabetics so going to that Italian restaurant i'd suggest isn't a help. Carbs are your enemy not gluten. In fact, the recipe below which only has about 10% of the carbs of an equivalent amount of normal bread, uses vital wheat gluten for the rise, which is the component of wheat flour that is the same component.

Right, but gluten free pasta is wheat free pasta. I always just assumed the lack of wheat equated to less carbs. But now that I think about it, is corn pasta as carb heavy as wheat pasta is?

Thanks for posting that bread recipe, I'll definitely give it a shot sometime!
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Easy way to know carb content is to look on the side of the product. You'll probably find your pastas are the same in carbs. Gluten needs to be avoided for someone with an intolerance with gluten, eg celiacs.

A slice of the bread in the recipe above is about 3g net carbs; compared to a normal piece of bread, similar size, about 22g carbs. Someone with blood glucose level issues (eg diabetic) or someone on a Keto diet can have a sandwich with the recipe above no issues (subject to the filling of course!), however with normal bread would send their levels high. Compare 6g carbs for a sandwich against 44g (ie 2 slices of bread)...
I am the Bacman