Building a Cheap and Quick Desk

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
opa
128-bit

Re: Building a Cheap and Quick Desk

Post by opa »

cool project.
What'd you use for the feet? (curious what the hardware is called if you know the name; kinda looks like the feet for a washer/dryer that screw up/down)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

opa wrote:cool project.
What'd you use for the feet? (curious what the hardware is called if you know the name; kinda looks like the feet for a washer/dryer that screw up/down)

Yep, you might find them on a washer/dryer, or tons of other appliances or furniture. They're called elevator bolts, and you can find them in the big box stores and most hardware stores. If going into metal, or hard enough wood, you can just cut threads for them. Since I'm using pine, which is rather soft, I needed threaded inserts. Specifically a type called a T nut. Elevator bolts are really just bolts with feet, but you could just as well use a standard bolt. T nuts are expensive, if you're crafty enough you could just use a standard nut (super cheap) and insert it into the wood.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Great work, Ziggy! I'm not handy so I find this type of work very impressive. Would enjoy seeing some of your other projects.

I may contact a carpenter later in the year to construct a new entertainment center/TV stand. My current stand is from the 80's and has served me well, but it's started to buckle under the weight of my 27" Samsung CRT. I'm hoping the carpenter can create something that's reenforced to hold the weight of the CRT and have slots to fit up to six consoles below.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Thanks, I'll be sure to post some more stuff like this.

If you get a TV stand built, I would LOVE to see pics of it!
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Yeah, I will definitely post some pics if I get it built, which I'm heavily leaning towards.

I have a pretty good idea of what I want done, including measurements, and will most likely draw up something basic in Illustrator which I can share too.