Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Re: Any cryptocurrency users here?

by fuctfuct Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:45 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:I am someone who looks into stuff in good faith, despite topics I disagree with, and am a big believer in nuance. I just find it weird that you are calling people out for a non-argument fallacy, when in fact you have used a fallacy yourself (gish gallop). It's not that we don't hate youtube videos, it's that you linked us almost 4 hours worth of content, with the shorter being an hour and 40 minutes.

What I do when talk about economics is that I summarize what I've learned. Would you read my favourite 1500 page long economics book? No, no one in their right mind would, and although it's only a fraction of the length, almost 4 hours is still complete overkill.

I'll gladly talk to you about it, especially since you were going into good faith with it, and saying you want to inform us. I would just like some effort in your part and to summarize the points made in those videos if you're gonna keep linking them.

However, this might not be the best topic because it will really reach into political territory ie regulations vs decentralization, and libertarian style policies.

EDIT: However, the two points I will make, and would like to see them addressed, is its 20% drop because a smaller country used it as legal tender, which shows its volatile nature, and 2) the environmental impact. Yes, in theory it may not do so, but in reality with something decentralized people will try to take advantage. It is stated, and I can provide sources if needed, that bitcoin's power consumption is equivalent to 2.6-2.7 billion homes for one year. You used your argument that it raised your bill by I think $30, but if you're saying that that's ok because one person only does that much, then I guess I'll never vote again because it's only one vote, and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, especially if I vote minor party.

When did i use that fallacy? Apologies if i did..

First you'd have to prove that that entire 20% drop was entirely because of a smaller country used it as legal tender.

Bitcoin uses power. IMO its the one of the best use of energy there is. It also uses power that may not have been used at all. Most serious miners go to where its the cheapest. They use excess power that may have just been wasted. Lots of huge dams in China running and not powering much, for example. Its also just going to get greener and greener. Because that energy is cheaper. How much energy does it take to protect the us dollar? How many houses would that power?

$30 was a vague guess. I don't inspect my bill i just pay it. I overclock the memory and run the cards at 75% when not gaming. Funny how nobody complains about 1000s of gamers using GPUs to play silly games 10+ hours a day but will say i'm wasting energy if i mine (on hydro) with mine.

Voting is immoral. Please stop doing it. (No, i don't want to talk about this here just a little joke)
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:05 am

The fish gallop was basically telling us that we're not taking the effort to see almost 4 hours of content. It overwhelms the "other side" with so many arguments that it wouldn't be worth taking the time to so, having the person doing that fallacy declare themselves a winner.

The Bitcoin crash happened the same day El Salvador did the rollout. It would be a weird coincidence if the drop was for another reason, especially one as huge.

The second article here states why El Salvador was to blame. In fact they stated that it was even predicted that it would happen.

http://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/bitcoin-cras ... -1.1648942

https://www.cnbctv18.com/cryptocurrency ... 658961.htm

You've made some good points about power consumption. However, huge mining rigs are becoming more commonplace. I believe the evidence of this is from the shortages that we're having of GPUs available for their supposed purposes. Off topic but it would be illegal for mining rigs to be in China as cryptocurrencies are banned there. Now this is all assumption, but googling mining rigs it seems like they are more complex than just an overclocked GPU, meaning that it does more damage with less people rather than having tons of people gaming.

You also make the point that people do it where it's the cheapest. People that are against implementing green energy are doing it because it costs more. Wouldn't that imply that the cheaper methods are for more unhealthy energy methods? China is implementing green energy at a huge rate, so the wasted power doesn't seem as dangerous, especially considering how much industrialization they are doing recently ie the infrastructure with their high speed rails.

I'm actually curious to know now how power works, as with most methods would they set a sort of cap that can be increased depending on what output is needed? Or is it always at 100%. I'll look into that after sleeping.

Also thanks for the voting joke it gave me a laugh lol
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:27 am

I don't believe I did that.

I don't accept those articles as proof.

Bitcoin crashes over 20% all the time.

Its only recently illegal in China. And i doubt for long.

Yes BTC miners are much more complex than GPUs.

Using mostly Hydro and other renewable power with complex machines is not what id call "damage"

I don't follow your last two paragraphs... I'll try again when i wake up

The majority imposing its will on a minority is immoral (voting) :)

EDIT: How much energy does it take to protect the us dollar? How many houses would that power?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:43 am

And now I'm seeing a pattern; you're definitely getting into full political territory and it's time to stop. Feel free to keep answering questions such as "how do I get started with crypto?" or "how can I use crypto in a meaningful way?" but digressions on the morality of crypto is done.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:09 am

MrPopo wrote:And now I'm seeing a pattern; you're definitely getting into full political territory and it's time to stop. Feel free to keep answering questions such as "how do I get started with crypto?" or "how can I use crypto in a meaningful way?" but digressions on the morality of crypto is done.

I've made no comments on the morality of crypto
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:20 am

Since you're willingly obtuse and don't seem to understand when a moderator is putting on their mod hat (but I'm not surprised), going to go ahead and lock this thread. It's clearly run its course.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever