Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

by bmoc Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:04 pm

The FFVII Remake concert that I bought tickets to in early 2020 (and has been rescheduled countless times) has been canceled 48 hours before it was supposed to happen. It doesn't sound like they are ever going to reschedule it. They are going to give previous ticket holders early access to future Distant Worlds tickets.

Proof of vaccination and masks were going to be required to attend. My childcare plans fell through so it is just as well. Sigh...
marurun

by marurun Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:37 pm

Huh, I thought PCR was very sensitive, but guidelines do often say to wait several days after a suspected exposure to get tested.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:51 pm

bmoc wrote:The FFVII Remake concert that I bought tickets to in early 2020 (and has been rescheduled countless times) has been canceled 48 hours before it was supposed to happen. It doesn't sound like they are ever going to reschedule it. They are going to give previous ticket holders early access to future Distant Worlds tickets.

Proof of vaccination and masks were going to be required to attend. My childcare plans fell through so it is just as well. Sigh...

That sucks; my rescheduled show was earlier in the year prior to Omicron so it still went through (with that aforementioned mask and proof of vax).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
opa
128-bit

by opa Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:20 am

Hope those affected get better!
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:21 am

That stinks, bmoc. I totally feel your pain though. The few plans I had for the past month or two have also been upended.

I was supposed to meet-up with o.pwuaioc and a few others in the area to have a Saturday afternoon of retro gaming, but I wasn't able to get a test in time due to the high demand. I had also learned that I spent time with someone the week prior who tested positive. We had been planning the meet-up for a few months, so I was really bummed to miss it, but it wouldn't be right to show up without being tested, which we all agreed on. I was able to get one the next day, after waiting a few hours in line at an urgent care facility and tested negative. Hard to believe it's this difficult to get a test two years into the pandemic, pretty much took me all weekend to get one.

Also, I was supposed to visit my sister for New Year's Eve, but to get there, we have to take a two hour commuter train. My partner doesn't want to be on public transportation for that long with the uptick in cases here, so we're just going to stay home. Also a bummer, as I didn't see my sister for Christmas due to her work schedule, and now I'm missing her for New Year's.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:22 pm

Note wrote:I was supposed to meet-up with o.pwuaioc and a few others in the area to have a Saturday afternoon of retro gaming, but I wasn't able to get a test in time due to the high demand. I had also learned that I spent time with someone the week prior who tested positive. We had been planning the meet-up for a few months, so I was really bummed to miss it, but it wouldn't be right to show up without being tested, which we all agreed on. I was able to get one the next day, after waiting a few hours in line at an urgent care facility and tested negative. Hard to believe it's this difficult to get a test two years into the pandemic, pretty much took me all weekend to get one.

Also, I was supposed to visit my sister for New Year's Eve, but to get there, we have to take a two hour commuter train. My partner doesn't want to be on public transportation for that long with the uptick in cases here, so we're just going to stay home. Also a bummer, as I didn't see my sister for Christmas due to her work schedule, and now I'm missing her for New Year's.

It's definitely same ol, same ol as far as canceled plans go. Omicron is wreaking havoc on us vaccinated folks. I don't think my timeline meant that I was positive when we would have met up, or that I would have been infectious, but I think you made a good call, both coming here and traveling on the train. As a doctor recently told me: You don't have to do anything stupid to get omicron. It's just that infectious.
marurun

by marurun Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:07 pm

We are heading south to visit family. Anyone with symptoms, here or there, is getting tested. If we have to mask with family we mask. I mostly just don’t want to end up in a TN hospital. The state is not known for great health care.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:07 pm

Note wrote:That stinks, bmoc. I totally feel your pain though. The few plans I had for the past month or two have also been upended.

It is disappointing but I just spent that money on some more JRPGs that I have been wanting - Tales of Arise and NEO: The World Ends With You. I'm sorry to hear of your recent disappointments as well. I wasn't able to see my parents this Christmas because of some health issues my mom is having. She's on the mend but it will be a long recovery. I hope you get to meetup with o.pwuaioc and your retrogaming crew soon!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:13 am

40 retirement homes in Ontario got an outbreak in one day. I think it's just a matter of time of when it'll happen here. Looks like booster shots are gonna be required for employees, and seniors qualify for a 4th dose.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:56 pm

I had a scare last week: after I got out of work on Wednesday I got a call from my mom telling me that my brother's girlfriend (who I saw on Christmas a few days earlier) had tested positive for covid.
I was already off for the rest of the week, using up the last of my vacation time, but I isolated myself and started preparing for sickness. I cancelled plans with my girlfriend (who was potentially exposed herself) and tried to get myself tested. I found myself with a mild fever (101.0 F) and a very slight cough, so I was convinced that I had it. I quickly found that all the local testing facilities were booked solid and couldn't provide me with any help in getting an appointment. Eventually I managed to schedule a test on New Year's Eve at a CVS about an hour's drive away.

I got my test back on Monday: NEGATIVE! So I guess I either got a random cold, had a psychosomatic illness, or had such a mild case that it didn't show up. I felt fine by Tuesday so I went back to work.
Most of my coworkers have been extremely concerned about covid, we're having patrons coming into the library talking about how their spouse has it, others who came in earlier in the week are calling us and telling us to cancel any hold requests because they're sick with it now, and even the library director has been sick with it. Meanwhile, not wanting to get into a potential clash with the director or library board, we're not taking any new precautions about people spreading covid here. In the past we've done things like having a time of exclusively offering curbside service, put returned books into a quarantine room for a week before checking in, shifted our schedules so we could have different teams of employees alternating weeks, or limiting how many and how long people can be in the library. Since we're not doing anything like that, I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before the library closes because we're all sick.

My county was giving away at-home test kits yesterday. The turnout was insane and I waited in traffic for 30 minutes before giving up before I even turned down the road where the test kid giveaway was actually happening - I didn't have time to wait in traffic for another 45-60 minutes since I had work that afternoon. But I did get lucky and was able to order a kit online.

I'm really not a fan of how we seem to collectively be giving up on mitigating covid here in the US.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever